U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-09-2012, 12:48 PM

65 posts, read 36,418 times
Ok, fair enough.. Then I'll come up and walk the coast until death takes me.. So be it! I'd rather die of starvation in a beautiful place then live in misery here.. Besides, I WILL have savings, not just a few hundred either..I'll actually have about 12,000$$! I won't be completely "poor", but I won't be using it until I find the location that feels right to me! Hopefully eventually I can find a small cheap room once I find the place I'm drawn too... We'll see I guess... I'm going because I'm still "young" enough to be ABLE to go(41), and old enough to appreciate a quiet place(compared to eventual homelessness in las vegas)..

Old 05-09-2012, 01:59 PM

7,378 posts, read 5,107,000 times
I think we all have a pretty good picture of what your goals are.

Old 05-09-2012, 03:32 PM

Just curious steve.. Why are you soo negative about someone wanting to come to your beautiful state for such SMALL opportunities just to live a simple existence and die in a gorgeous place? Is it ONLY the rich or wealthy who should see it? Or people who make a lot of money who DESERVE to live in the beauty? Is that how you think? Shouldn't poor people have the chance to be there too?

Old 05-09-2012, 04:12 PM

2,370 posts, read 1,953,218 times
So AnimalloverJJD, why don't you just go buy a bus ticket to Newport or Lincoln City and start your life over?
Who cares what other people think. Just do it.
If you can realize your dream, more power to ya.

I don't think you realize that you are not the unique snowflake you think you are.
There have been thousands of other starry-eyed dreamers that tried (or want to try) the same thing you are thinking about.
And when you get here, they will be your competition.
No jobs and lots of competition for the ones there are.

And BTW, living on the coast at a barely above poverty level situation is not the paradise you seem to think it is.
It's not like Cabo or Hawaii where you can lay in the sun by your hut drinking cold ones all day.
It sucks. Although the coast can be beautiful, for most of the year it's cold, windy, and wet.

Take those beautiful sunny clear weather pictures of the Oregon coast you are looking at, soak yourself in cold water, get a fan, and go stand in your local stores beer cooler for a few hours with the fan blowing on you.
That's what the coast feels like most of the year.
This is Oregon. It's only nice a few months out of the year.

After the initial newness wears off, and you are cold, sick and hungry, jobless, and living in some moldy little hovel in the rain (or sleeping in a rusty van), come back and tell us how the beautiful Oregon Coast worked out for you.

We are just being realistic, but if you want to give it a try, go for it.
Don't worry about us, what we say, or what we are trying to tell you.

We are all against you and your dream.

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 05-09-2012 at 04:31 PM..

Old 05-09-2012, 04:25 PM

Ok, I will.. I am NO stranger to hardship! On the east coast I was homeless for 8 years of my life! NOT sleeping on friends couches(since I had no friends) but actually out there! However, I'd much rather be in a place that actually has seasons, instead of homeless in a dry desert tomb like las vegas! I guess since maybe you live there, and are jaded about it, you can't give me any positives about it.. I can either be poor and broke in the extreme heat or poor and broke in the rain and ocean which is like my lifeblood(Sunny days actually depress me badly, always have).. I was just looking for some constructive and positive suggestions which people on this board seem unwilling or unable to offer.. Opportunities may be scarce, I will concede that, but the only way I will even have a chance is to try! If I do nothing, nothing changes.. Its time to try, and maybe fail, but also maybe succeed! Isn't it better to try and fail then never try at all? At least thats how I see it... Hell, maybe I can find a carnival or fair on the coast and join them(I used to be a carny on the east coast for 2 years)... But the idea is, I'll never know, if I don't try!

Old 05-09-2012, 05:36 PM

13,184 posts, read 9,213,749 times
A carnival or fair on the coast? Seriously? You are dreaming dreams of things that don't exist. But it is encouraging that you do have a small amount of money to fall back on. Maybe that will get you a motel room for awhile so you can explore the coast and see what everyone is talking about.

No one is saying don't move to the coast, what they are saying is learn the reality of it before you do and don't expect everything to meet your expectations which, from what you have described, do not. Take the example of your not wanting to be around a lot of people but you do want a job. Well, the few inskilled jobs available deal with people, lots and lots of people. They're called tourists and it's how many of the residents make a living; by being employed in jobs that serve them.

I don't know where these farms are of which you speak. Fishing boats maybe.

If you posted with a realistic plan. If you asked how conditions are at the coast. If you had a reasonable means of finding a job people would be able to give you suggestions. But you are spouting gibberish. You seem to be so wrapped up in your life drama, you can't see where you're going. Lots of people in Oregon have and are struggling through hard times. You cannot expect speical considerations.

FYI, we all love the overcast weather, we are not trying to keep people away and we are a little tired of people who ask but will not listen.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:58 PM

I hear EXACTLY what you are saying.. However, I'm either going to end up being homeless in las vegas, which is slowly killing me by the day, or be homeless in oregon, but with weather I love, and LESS people to deal with on a constant basis.. And by the way, I am not totally unskilled.. for the last 4 years I've been paying rent by having a dvd business(dvds I burn for people), working for myself, and I can do that ANYWHERE in the country once I get place I wish to finish in! I was only referring to regular "work" as a supplemental income... I haven't worked a standard job in 4 years anyway.. So 'hardship" for you may not be "hardship" for me! Also, there are carnivals and fairs ALL OVER THE USA! So I don't know where you get the idea that they don't exist in oregon? They travel, and I travelled down the entire east coast with them many years ago...

Old 05-09-2012, 07:34 PM

Also, I'm not sure that anyone on this board is considering the fact that the economy in the usa is BAD almost EVERYWHERE! But las vegas has the literally highest unemployment rate in the country, and getting worse by the week.. Been like that for years now.. So anyplace I relocate to is an IMPROVEMENT over las vegas! To be honest, I don't care if there are NO JOBS where I settle, I tend to make my own opportunity wherever I go to.. And if that means selling dvd movies to tourists and locals just to eat, I can do that.. I will have everything I need with me, plus a nice amount of cash if and when I do find that place that feels "right"..

Old 05-09-2012, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalloverJJD View Post
I hear EXACTLY what you are saying.. However, I'm either going to end up being homeless in las vegas, which is slowly killing me by the day, or be homeless in oregon, but with weather I love, and LESS people to deal with on a constant basis.. And by the way, I am not totally unskilled.. for the last 4 years I've been paying rent by having a dvd business(dvds I burn for people), working for myself, and I can do that ANYWHERE in the country once I get place I wish to finish in! I was only referring to regular "work" as a supplemental income... I haven't worked a standard job in 4 years anyway.. So 'hardship" for you may not be "hardship" for me! Also, there are carnivals and fairs ALL OVER THE USA! So I don't know where you get the idea that they don't exist in oregon? They travel, and I travelled down the entire east coast with them many years ago...
Read my post. I never said carnivals did not exist in Oregon.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalloverJJD View Post
Also, I'm not sure that anyone on this board is considering the fact that the economy in the usa is BAD almost EVERYWHERE! But las vegas has the literally highest unemployment rate in the country, and getting worse by the week.. Been like that for years now.. So anyplace I relocate to is an IMPROVEMENT over las vegas! To be honest, I don't care if there are NO JOBS where I settle, I tend to make my own opportunity wherever I go to.. And if that means selling dvd movies to tourists and locals just to eat, I can do that.. I will have everything I need with me, plus a nice amount of cash if and when I do find that place that feels "right"..
Funny, although I know jobs are difficult to come by all over, a friend of mine who was born and raised in Vancouver and then moved to Portland lost her job and couldn't find another here. She moved to Vegas and found a couple of great ones.

It all depends upon being in the right place at the right time. I hope the coast meets with your expectations. Best of luck to you. Please let us know how it all turns out for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon