Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 08:31 PM

65 posts, read 94,872 times

Advertisements

With all this negativity, I'm tempted NOT to let yall know.. But to find opportunity you have to go out and seek opportunity! Nothing changes in your life unless you MAKE it change.. I've been in limbo for years in vegas, where it NEVER rains(maybe once a year, and thats a sprinkle), and its time for a change, whether it be sink or swim, success or failure, the adventure is in the trying... The journey, not the destination.. Thats important.. The enrichment of my soul in a gorgeous place full of the weather I truly love.. I'm not sure, but I suspect certain people on this board have lost that sense of adventure, of going and taking a risk, of the open road.. In all my years of stagnation in vegas, I have never lost that sense of wonder.. I remember being homeless on the florida coast, travelling up and down, I would starve, but most times I was happy with total freedom.. The wonder of what I might find down the road, and yes, I found a few opportunities along the way.. It happens, in the worst of places AND in the worst of times.. Like I said, I know what awaits me, because I've been there before, but NEVER have I been able to appreciate it with any type of funding before.. I remember being on the road, and NEVER having even 5$ in my pocket! If I had change for coffee in a roadside diner I counted myself lucky... So yes, I have seen hardship, probably harder then anything the northwest coast can throw at me! Who here can truly and honestly say the same?

Old 05-09-2012, 11:28 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,423,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalloverJJD View Post
With all this negativity, I'm tempted NOT to let yall know.. But to find opportunity you have to go out and seek opportunity! Nothing changes in your life unless you MAKE it change.. I've been in limbo for years in vegas, where it NEVER rains(maybe once a year, and thats a sprinkle), and its time for a change, whether it be sink or swim, success or failure, the adventure is in the trying... The journey, not the destination.. Thats important.. The enrichment of my soul in a gorgeous place full of the weather I truly love.. I'm not sure, but I suspect certain people on this board have lost that sense of adventure, of going and taking a risk, of the open road.. In all my years of stagnation in vegas, I have never lost that sense of wonder.. I remember being homeless on the florida coast, travelling up and down, I would starve, but most times I was happy with total freedom.. The wonder of what I might find down the road, and yes, I found a few opportunities along the way.. It happens, in the worst of places AND in the worst of times.. Like I said, I know what awaits me, because I've been there before, but NEVER have I been able to appreciate it with any type of funding before.. I remember being on the road, and NEVER having even 5$ in my pocket! If I had change for coffee in a roadside diner I counted myself lucky... So yes, I have seen hardship, probably harder then anything the northwest coast can throw at me! Who here can truly and honestly say the same?
Many of us can, but we don't go around whining about it.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:41 AM

65 posts, read 94,872 times
I was NEVER whining, just asking for advice and practical suggestions besides "DON"T COME"! And so far, no one's even tried to help with true info about the coast or suggestions that will help my last great adventure... Is it so much to ask for a quiet place at the ocean where I can just EXIST? Find a way not to "get ahead" but just eat, sleep, and watch the ocean and experience the rain and storms until I die in peace? Are poor people not allowed to do this? Only the wealthy or "professional" people? Just wondering..

Old 05-10-2012, 08:45 AM

4 posts, read 5,004 times
Hi,
If you are blue color worker? and you are in search of affordable residence then you are on right place
We are expert in providing homes you can search us by these terms. rentals Vancouver

Old 05-10-2012, 09:50 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,321,371 times
Quote:
... ... , whether it be sink or swim, success or failure, ... ...
Well you are correct. You will have more opportunity to sink or swim here. It rains alot.

And everyone has told you the truth with very good advice. Your question was answered. “Don’t Come”. Your smart aleck comebacks just paint a picture of a loser who will not succeed no mater where you go. I will tell you this, the opportunities for the homeless abound in Vegas, and don’t exist on the coast other than being one more bum under a bridge to stay out of the rain.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:59 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,429,752 times
Quote:
I was NEVER whining, just asking for advice and practical suggestions besides "DON"T COME"! And so far, no one's even tried to help with true info about the coast or suggestions that will help my last great adventure...
Actually we have, you're just choosing to continually ignore our advice. If everyone is giving you advice that you don't like or agree with, perhaps the problem might be on the side of the person receiving the advice?

It's pretty simple. Go ahead and come to Oregon or Washington Coast. Attempt to find a job, they don't exist. I have two cousins who are both good auto mechanics and know everyone in town. Neither has had steady job in 4 years due to the economy, and they're both willing to do anything. As I stated before, the fishing industry is decimated so that old standby is gone. The Timber industry has been dead for decades, my grandfather spent the last twenty years of his life in debt due to the timber bust in the 80's. So much so that the awesome piece of land we were hoping to keep in the family has been sold for half it's value. Schools are laying off staff all up and down the Coast. Everything else is geared towards tourists, and tends to be seasonal.

Even with your savings you'll most likely be homeless pretty quickly. You'll be kicked off living on the beach though, it's not allowed. Most of the Coastal towns kick the homeless out, they don't want to upset the tourists. There are some groups of ex-Vietnam Vets and old hippies that live in self-sufficient communes in various parts of the Cascades who perhaps may welcome you in, but they're not "near" the coast with the good view that you seem to want.

I hope you find what you're looking for, but I don't think that the Oregon Coast is exactly what you think it is.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:20 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,321,371 times
Johnny, when Hamellr agrees with me, you need to listen. If you are just looking for a place to curl up and die, Oregon isn't it. Your last days will be full of misery and grief, being chased out of one place to another, until you will long for the familiarity of Vegas.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:38 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,429,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
Johnny, when Hamellr agrees with me, you need to listen.
*laugh* I actually do agree with you MOST of the time

Old 05-10-2012, 11:53 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,729,128 times
[But at least(from the numbers) there seem to be far less mexicans in oregon too! Las vegas is about half(or more) mexican, and I'm ready to move on from there..

This guy is hardheaded. Most unskilled racists are.

Old 05-10-2012, 01:59 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,446,410 times
Quote:
Johnny, when Hamellr agrees with me, you need to listen.
Truer words have seldom been said!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon