Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 05:43 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,780,716 times

Advertisements

How's the freshwater fishing in southern Orgeon? I know, open-ended question, but I'd like to see what people have to say.

Here's some context: Used to live in Colorado where the fishing is generally poor to middlin'. A couple years ago moved to the Bay Area where the freshwater fishing isn't much better. I've never been to Oregon, I'm curious how it fares.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 07:27 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,440,203 times
Depending on where you are, if the lake has been stocked, if they're spawning, what type of bait you've got, the time of year, and how you hold your tongue as you cast, "eh" to freakin' awesome!

You might search for some fishing specific forums to get a better idea as I mostly fish so that I can get peace and quite to finish my book or get some good scenery pictures.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:50 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times
It can be fair, to pretty good, to awesome, depending on if your on the right water, at the right honeyhole, at the right time, with the right bait.

You might like to join or hangout at www.oregonfishingforum.com
They are friendly good folks thar.

There is also www.ifish.net

Old 05-18-2012, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
It can be fair, to pretty good, to awesome, depending on if your on the right water, at the right honeyhole, at the right time, with the right bait.

You might like to join or hangout at www.oregonfishingforum.com
They are friendly good folks thar.

There is also www.ifish.net
I'll check into these, as I live in the Bay Area and it seems like's its worth keeping southern Oregon open as an option for weekend fishing.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
I'll check into these, as I live in the Bay Area and it seems like's its worth keeping southern Oregon open as an option for weekend fishing.
I have family in CA. We have done a lot of booniecamping, fishing years ago, by the CA Aqueduct & Delta/Mendota canal, close to Santa Nella. Caught Striped Bass & Catfish. For bait our favorite was Pileworms or a small bullhead baitfish we caught by the canal irrigation valves.

Fished the CA Delta close to Tracy/Stockton & Lake Camanche southshore, etc.

Fished San Luis Reservoir O'Neill Forebay. Big stripers.

Old 05-19-2012, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Fished San Luis Reservoir O'Neill Forebay. Big stripers.
Yes I have my eye on San Luis. Haven't been there yet. I don't have a boat - how fishable is it without one?

Old 05-19-2012, 11:17 AM

I don't know how it's set up now. I haven't been there in years.

Google

Years ago you could catch biggun stripers on both sides of the hwy152 bridge, walk down below. Back then there wasn't a fence put up. You could sometimes catch up to 30lb fish, maybe bigger. After the fence was built you had to come in by the park entrance.

Driving down Pacheco Pass on hwy 152 turn left before you get to the bridge, to San Luis Creek Campground (all the way at the end of the road, campground). This is where the CA Aqueduct flows into the Forebay. Many bigguns have been caught from shore here clos to the aqueduct gates. Using a ji-g of the right colors has produced stripers here. Also Pileworms or small baitfish (bullheads). Some folks have used cut amchovie or turkey liver (wrap thread around your bait so it doesn't fall off). We used to boonie camp in these different campground areas.

On the other side of the Forebay, going towards Santa Nella (hwy 33) , turn into Medeiros Campground, take road to the right going over towards where the aqueduct gates are beginning aqueduct again. We caught a lot of stripers along the rocks in this area. Across this channel you can park on hwy 33 & walk a longsways out (& fish) going toward the aqueduct inlet to the forebay.

In 1989 i was on the Forebay when a man from Soquel caught a 66lb+ striper with a ji-g he made. I saw him & the fish at the SN bait store. He had a bassboat. I was there when a man on a float tube with a fly rod caught one about 55lbs. Fish dragged him around fer a while...heehee

One year someone caught a 99lb sturgeon in the forebay.

In the Delta/Mendota canal we've caught stripers & catfish up to 20lb. Back then we could follow the canal from Firebaugh to Tracy.

Good Luck fishin to you.

Last edited by Hawk J; 05-19-2012 at 11:26 AM..

Old 05-19-2012, 11:23 AM

Another spot you ought to check out is Coyote Lake, over by Gilroy. That should be pretty close to you. There used to be some nice bass in thar. I always released them so they could grow.

Old 05-21-2012, 11:05 AM

Hawk J:

Now that's what I'm talking about! One fisherman to another, I appreciate the time you spent writing that description. I'm going to make a point to check out those locations in the next couple weeks.

On a different note, I was up at Loch Lomond this past weekend. Very pretty lake in a beautiful location, but very poor fishing! We were there from 8am to 3pm on a boat and not a single one. My buddy didn't get any bites all day. I only got nibbles from what was probably a bluegill but never saw him. We spent time at each of the likely locations around the lake. For bass we fished wacky worms, drop shot rig, crawdad lures, minnow lures. For trout we tried power bait, salmon eggs, night crawlers, trout lures. Nothing worked. I don't plan to go back there, at least for fishing.

Old 05-21-2012, 12:59 PM

Maybe, check out Coyote Res.
Coyote Lake Fishing Map, The Fish Sniffer Online

Google
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
View detailed profiles of: