U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 01:24 PM

52 posts, read 147,632 times

Advertisements

Anti-California sentiment was something I thought about a little prior to moving to Southern Oregon about 4 years ago, but I wasn't really worried too much about it. As it turns out, nobody ever said a word to me about it, even though I took a couple of years to finally get my license plates changed to Oregon. It's been a total non issue. I imagine there are people out there who still resent Californians but they seem to be in the minority. And maybe that is because there are so many former Californians here now, as other have said.

I was in a Safeway store last year and had forgotten my rewards card, so the clerk asked for my phone number. When I told him the 916 area code, he looked a little puzzled and then asked where that was from. I told him Sacramento, but that I lived in Oregon now. He said he had been through Sacramento once and didn't like it. I said, "now you know why so many of us Californians are here in Oregon." He laughed, as did the three people behind me in line who, as it turned out, were all former Californians as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 01:33 PM

14,755 posts, read 14,980,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random_Walk View Post
Dunno... I've yet to hear of it outside of the rare joke.

I think that most of the Californians who moved up here have either adapted, or have moved back.
Anti-California sentiment was definitely alive in the PNW during the 1990s. Despite being a clean-cut guy, I've got a list as long as half my arm.

Also, what does "adapted" or "moved back" mean? Adapt to what? True, the weather in the PNW is different. However, it sounds like adaptation means "acting like a native Northwesterner." Many Californians are too vocal to do that. I'll never forget a conversation with a woman who worked at a local college who came from SoCal and had been in the NW about 15 years. She said "Californians have a much more relaxed social stance."

I'll be politically incorrect and add why anti-California sentiment has diminished. The 80s and 90s California transplants were white, educated and middle-class. They didn't stand out until one had to disclose their place of origin ("Oh...I see"). When the PNW started to see many more minorities and people from foreign countries, they somewhat relaxed their stance on white middle-class Californians.

Old 06-14-2012, 01:39 PM

250 posts, read 284,191 times
I do remember a lot of resentment towards Californians moving into Oregon when I was growing up there in the 80s and 90s. But for the most part it wasn't towards the the people per say, but the economy change they brought with them. My father is a multi-generational Oregonian native, but my mom was a native Californian. The funny thing was to see my mother express resentment at all the Californians moving in as well. My father and mother worked hard and saved to buy a home for our family of eight, but the more they saved, the higher the property values went essentially keeping them priced out of a home. They never were able to buy a home and after my mom got sick and couldn't work anymore, their savings stagnated while the property values continued to rapidly increase. I remember hating all the Californians moving in myself, cursing their ability to come in and pay these inflated prices easily while my parents worked hard and could never buy a home.

I don't think the resentment is gone, I remember Oregonians smirking about if you had a Cali plate on your vehicle, you would be cut off in traffic or treated essentially with road rage. Whenever I visit my father in Oregon I now fly in and rent a vehicle with Oregon plates as the couple times I drove up in my Cali plated car I was treated with disrespect by the Oregon drivers. Even my sister-in-law noticed it when she joined me one time in my Cali plated car and commented on how horribly rude the drivers were "today." I jokingly replied it was probably because of my Cali plates, that is just the way it is when I drive up from Cali. She jokingly agreed that must be it. But some jokes are funny because they are true.

Last edited by YellowHorse; 06-14-2012 at 01:52 PM.. Reason: spelling error

Old 06-14-2012, 08:23 PM

7,925 posts, read 6,409,554 times
Coos Bay is still very anti.

Old 06-16-2012, 05:23 PM

9,115 posts, read 5,955,195 times
Depends upon where you go. Ashland and Bend are probably more Californian than Oregonian, if you track the last zip code of those moving in. Wouldn't make sense to go on about Californians, when many are former Californians. Folks still do, and in the places that have fallen on hard times (e.g., Coos Bay, Oakridge, Sweet Home), the resentment is still pretty high. But few Oregonians shy away from selling a $50 home to an incoming Californian for $200k, so probably not too much to moralize about.

The main thing is, Oregonians don't really want to hear about how great California is. Keep that to yourself, and things will go fine.

Old 06-17-2012, 12:58 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,310,137 times
I don't think it has out in the country areas. I was born and lived first 35 years of my life in Oregon, but have been in California for last few years. When I visit my family and am in a store or something and they ask where I'm visiting from I sure do get the looks when I mention Calif. Really funny one time a year or so ago I drove up there, and started to get out of the car at a gas station to pump my own gas before I remembered. The guy actually said oh, you're from California. We don't want any more of you up here. And he was not joking. Of course I blasted him telling him I lived longer in Oregon than he was old, so that shut him up and he apologized.

Old 06-17-2012, 01:31 PM

14,755 posts, read 14,980,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlaT2 View Post
I don't think it has out in the country areas. I was born and lived first 35 years of my life in Oregon, but have been in California for last few years. When I visit my family and am in a store or something and they ask where I'm visiting from I sure do get the looks when I mention Calif. Really funny one time a year or so ago I drove up there, and started to get out of the car at a gas station to pump my own gas before I remembered. The guy actually said oh, you're from California. We don't want any more of you up here. And he was not joking. Of course I blasted him telling him I lived longer in Oregon than he was old, so that shut him up and he apologized.
It is sickening and totally redneck. Good for you for blasting him. "White trash" like that needs to hear it.

The other thing is that most of them can trace their heritage to some other state, notably some conservative "don't tread on me" ones in the Midwest, and don't have really deep roots in the area either.

I'll add another story. When I moved to and lived in PDX for a few years, I inquired about parish groups that had activities for singles. I was steered to three of them. All of them were dweeby. In Atlanta, they are super active and generally full of educated transplants to the area but then, that's a REAL metro area. At any rate, after being disappointed with the first two very small groups, I sort of settled on the third one, which was in Portland's west side.

It was actually a parish clique of locals. The other thing is that a bunch of younger married people who attended that parish made up about half of the group (?). Fast forward: they had a games event on a houseboat on the Columbia River, where people were playing board games. After about an hour, the husband of this married couple, both big heifers living near Salem, said about me: "I think he's cool and he can come around." Like it's up to YOU to determine this. I never went to another function.

Old 06-17-2012, 03:32 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,171,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlaT2 View Post
I don't understand how someone in a store or gas station could/would look down their noses at anyone patronizing their businesses.
All states have tourists and visitors from other states. I can't imagine that anyone would not want the business from a visitor, just because they're from California.

Old 06-17-2012, 10:22 PM

22 posts, read 18,347 times
The resentment is there because Californians know how to pump their own gas.

Old 06-17-2012, 11:28 PM

27,025 posts, read 22,427,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Anti-California sentiment was definitely alive in the PNW during the 1990s. Despite being a clean-cut guy, I've got a list as long as half my arm.

Also, what does "adapted" or "moved back" mean? Adapt to what? True, the weather in the PNW is different. However, it sounds like adaptation means "acting like a native Northwesterner." Many Californians are too vocal to do that. I'll never forget a conversation with a woman who worked at a local college who came from SoCal and had been in the NW about 15 years. She said "Californians have a much more relaxed social stance."

I'll be politically incorrect and add why anti-California sentiment has diminished. The 80s and 90s California transplants were white, educated and middle-class. They didn't stand out until one had to disclose their place of origin ("Oh...I see"). When the PNW started to see many more minorities and people from foreign countries, they somewhat relaxed their stance on white middle-class Californians.
Does this mean any resentment that would normally be reserved for White Californians is now being reserved for minorities and foreigners?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon