Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 01:25 AM

2,316 posts, read 7,798,782 times

Advertisements

Who is number one? Is it Texas? Tennessee? Alabama? North Dakota, actually. And number two? Texas, surely?? NOPE! It's... Oregon! Surprised? Me too.

According to the Bureau of Economic Analysis under the U.S. Department of Commerce, Oregon's real GDP grew by 4.7% in 2011. Growth in durable goods manufacturing was responsible for 3.94% of that growth.

http://www.bea.gov/newsreleases/regi...df/gsp0612.pdf

Take that, red states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2012, 01:48 AM

62 posts, read 188,950 times
this is not a red state blue state issue. selected blue and red states both did very well.

long term trends are more important, not year over year stats. oregon's long term economic vitality stats are very poor, and cities declined quite a bit from 2011-2012, see - Dr. William Fruth /

About the Presenter

Old 06-08-2012, 02:21 AM

780 posts, read 1,338,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
Who is number one? Is it Texas? Tennessee? Alabama? North Dakota, actually. And number two? Texas, surely?? NOPE! It's... Oregon! Surprised? Me too.

According to the Bureau of Economic Analysis under the U.S. Department of Commerce, Oregon's real GDP grew by 4.7% in 2011. Growth in durable goods manufacturing was responsible for 3.94% of that growth.

http://www.bea.gov/newsreleases/regi...df/gsp0612.pdf

Take that, red states.

I wonder how many of those new jobs were temp ( staffing ) agencies as those seem to be the big employers for the Portland area.

Yeah, a job with no benefits and if you aren't laid off early before then, have a contract that only puts your employment at 12-18 months generally.

Old 06-08-2012, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylar0201 View Post
I wonder how many of those new jobs were temp ( staffing ) agencies as those seem to be the big employers for the Portland area.

Yeah, a job with no benefits and if you aren't laid off early before then, have a contract that only puts your employment at 12-18 months generally.
This is the problem with economic "growth" throughout the U.S. But we are talking about Real Gross Domestic Product here... Not job growth. The two are not necessarily related.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAAplus View Post
this is not a red state blue state issue. selected blue and red states both did very well.

long term trends are more important, not year over year stats. oregon's long term economic vitality stats are very poor, and cities declined quite a bit from 2011-2012, see - Dr. William Fruth /

About the Presenter
Well I'm purple with yellow polka dots so in reality I don't give a rip about "blue" or "red" as they are so similar in many ways.

At any rate, on paper Oregon appears to be doing well over the past two or three years according to official Federal reports and data such as this. But then, of course, that's just on paper. And of course you have to argue with and question the data and statistics themselves. I'm sure you know how 87% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

There are other, arguably more important economic indicators besides Real GDP.

I just thought it interesting since people seem to have their black/white ideas of what sort of policies fuel economic growth, and obviously something is working in Oregon's favor the past two years, despite many diehard conservatives' insistence that the higher corporate and personal income taxes Oregonians voted on were going to cripple Oregon's industry and economy.

Last edited by backdrifter; 06-08-2012 at 02:45 AM..

Old 06-08-2012, 07:27 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,399,811 times
I'd be curious to see an industry break down on that, or even by company. Does it include our big employer's like Intel and Nike who've both been doing fairly good over the past years?

Old 06-08-2012, 10:08 PM

^^^ I wouldn't be surprised if it's just Intel driving that growth...

Old 06-09-2012, 12:07 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,350,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
I'd be curious to see an industry break down on that, or even by company. Does it include our big employer's like Intel and Nike who've both been doing fairly good over the past years?
That's exactly what I was thinking. If so, doesn't it kind of skew the results?

Old 06-09-2012, 02:02 AM

Default Diversification

Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
^^^ I wouldn't be surprised if it's just Intel driving that growth...
thanks for your posts, and you may wish to read the Dr. Fruth study on how it's not good to have just one company in a city or state. main reason - if that company fails, the entire state or metro region crashes

diversification is best, but the problem with Oregon is that the state depends on very few industries when comparing to other states such as California, Utah, Washington, Arizona ... diversification is best ...

rio, rancho new mexico has a large intel plant, but their economic development dept. has diversified, recruiting HP, sprint, two colleges, a new hospital, etc. etc.

bend is trying to do something similar, yet land use regulations from the state prevent this. new mexico doesn't have these regulations. neither does nevada.

Old 06-09-2012, 11:38 AM

1,337 posts, read 3,268,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAAplus View Post
thanks for your posts, and you may wish to read the Dr. Fruth study on how it's not good to have just one company in a city or state. main reason - if that company fails, the entire state or metro region crashes

diversification is best, but the problem with Oregon is that the state depends on very few industries when comparing to other states such as California, Utah, Washington, Arizona ... diversification is best ...

rio, rancho new mexico has a large intel plant, but their economic development dept. has diversified, recruiting HP, sprint, two colleges, a new hospital, etc. etc.

bend is trying to do something similar, yet land use regulations from the state prevent this. new mexico doesn't have these regulations. neither does nevada.
Your "the economy must be diversified" is not a Dr. Fruth specific study point. That concept is LITERALLY common sense when it comes to economics no matter the investment, industry, etc. No one in the entire USA would argue against this. Take a look at middle America's dying cities.

Also, we'll need some facts to back up your statements regarding Bend. There is plenty of undeveloped land in the Bend UGB I'm holding. I can send you the current UGB and show you myself.

An economy that fell off a cliff a few years ago is the culprit for many of Bend's economic troubles. The subject is very complex and nuanced, but I admit Oregon does not have as lax land use regulations as state like New Mexico and Nevada - thank God for that.

Last edited by kapetrich; 06-09-2012 at 12:21 PM..

Old 06-10-2012, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapetrich View Post
Your "the economy must be diversified" is not a Dr. Fruth specific study point. That concept is LITERALLY common sense when it comes to economics no matter the investment, industry, etc. No one in the entire USA would argue against this. Take a look at middle America's dying cities.

Also, we'll need some facts to back up your statements regarding Bend. There is plenty of undeveloped land in the Bend UGB I'm holding. I can send you the current UGB and show you myself.

An economy that fell off a cliff a few years ago is the culprit for many of Bend's economic troubles. The subject is very complex and nuanced, but I admit Oregon does not have as lax land use regulations as state like New Mexico and Nevada - thank God for that.
thanks for trying to debate, however, no thanks. we don't agree on the oregon land use decisions. i don't favor any growth management, period, except for zoning. you are welcome to send me a PM w/ a link to your properties in the bend area, but i'm not interested in the market due to its heavy handed growth management.

bend, eugene, medford, etc. do not have the diversification ... that you'll find in albuquerque, rio rancho, scottsdale, phoenix, austin, and salt lake city, and these latter cities for the most part don't have growth management.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon