U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-11-2012, 03:44 PM

4 posts, read 3,811 times

Advertisements

My family is moving from Minnesota (Minneapolis suburbs) approximately one year from now. We have three small kids (under 6). I would consider us republican, but we are not religious. The combination of crime and a very liberal state, along with the desire to try something different is why we want to move from MN.

I already know I'm going to avoid Portland and Seattle as they sound a bit too liberal / hippy / minneapolis for me, but beyond that does anyone have advice on cities? I've done some initial research and Bend was one of the possibilities. We are looking to purchase a home (or build) in the $350 to $450k range. We'd like a nice house with a decent size yard. Preferably some privacy as our current neighbors (as great as they are) are too close.

Beyond Bend, OR are there other "matches" for our type? I work in IT and have a telecommute job, so the job market isnt a huge deal. My wife is graduating law school prior to the move so she will likely be looking to catch on and work part-time initially until all of the kids are in school.

Looking for a place with great schools too. My oldest is in Spanish Immersion school and that would be ideal to find as well.

Also somewhat close to "city" type attractions - zoos, museums, airport, etc.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 04:15 PM

6,477 posts, read 6,173,136 times
Be aware that if you're a telecommuter you may want to be closer into town. As a rural Oregon town, high speed Internet access may not be as wide spread and as reliable as you'd like.

Bend does not have a Zoo, nor many museums. You have the High Desert Museum south of town (which has a few animals,) and the Deschutes County Historical Museum in town. Sunriver has a Nature Center (never been,) there is an Indian Museum about an hour north in Warm Springs (pulls no punches, but a good museum nonetheless,) and Fort Rock Village which is about 90 minutes the other direction.

Bend's airport is a small regional airport. You'll end up flying to Portland, Seattle, Reno, Vegas or Salt Lake City to get to a larger airport.

Oregon's IT area tends to be the west suburbs of Portland. Google and Facebook both have data centers closer to Bend, but both are staffed by a minimal amount of people.

I've heard that Lawyers are over saturated with qualified people in Portland, but I don't know how that translates to Bend. I'd assume about the same, maybe worse as you're looking at a population that is ~1/8th of Portland's. Everything outside of Portland tends to suffer from economic downturns longer and harder.

You may also want to be aware, that depending on how Republican you are, Oregon in general may still be too liberal for you. And if you're the type of Republican who doesn't believe in Compromising for the better of all, you may be even worse off.

Old 06-11-2012, 05:29 PM

1 posts, read 750 times
We've been wanting to move to Bend for a while now (from Seattle), and I've been actively looking for an attorney job for the past few months. Nothing even close to popping up so far.

As for zoos, while it doesn't compare to a big city zoo, we really like the High Desert Museum.

Moderator cut: off topic for this forum

Last edited by Kimballette; 06-11-2012 at 07:33 PM.. Reason: off topic for this forum

Old 06-11-2012, 09:25 PM

4 posts, read 3,811 times
Thanks hamellr! Very helpful. Definitely not a fox news Rush Limbsugh republican either!

Thank you dreamingofbend! Good to know.

Last edited by Kimballette; 06-11-2012 at 09:34 PM..

Old 06-11-2012, 09:56 PM

10,934 posts, read 18,599,772 times
There are too many attorneys in Oregon and many can't find jobs. Your wife will have a very difficult time finding a job. Most of the larger cities are liberal. They only places close to "city" life are in the valley. That would be Salem, Eugene, and Corvallis. Salem is the most politically moderate of that group. Other than your political orientation and desire to be near city amenities, what are you looking for?

Also, be aware that west coast schools aren't as good as mid-west schools generally speaking. If Bend looks interesting to you, then I'd suggest Corvallis.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:30 AM

7,925 posts, read 6,425,839 times
Portland isn't really all that liberal. Not compaired to Eugene. For the midwest social and cultural life it will be your only Oregon choice, but...... There are a lot of drive to the zoo smaller communities around Portland. I am not sure Bend is what you want. A conservitive lawyer we could use, but jobs are nill. Think about Salem. About an hour and a half to the zoo and 40 miles from Portland.

Old 06-15-2012, 01:17 PM

13,540 posts, read 10,439,741 times
Regarding an attorney position, we have the very good Lewis and Clark Law School here which will give graduates a leg up on whatever jobs are available over transplants with new legal degrees. But even they are not guaranteed jobs. For some time now, some newly graduated attorneys wind up taking paralegal jobs because that's all they can find. They only get paralegal salaries which, starting out, are not all that great. However, your wife may want to try and broaden her scope to include paralegal positions because it may eventually evolved into an attorney postition.

If there are going to be any legal related jobs available, the majority will be in Portland.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:34 PM

7,925 posts, read 6,425,839 times
Or small town DA.

Old 06-20-2012, 03:34 AM

248 posts, read 425,732 times
You might also want to think about Medford... The high speed internet down here is just fine and the Trader Joe's and REI open up later this month. It's not a big city but there's plenty to do here, especially if you like the outdoors; cycling, camping, kayaking/rafting, fishing... all of it is world class.

As for politics. It's a little more red down here but honestly the parties here are much different than in other areas of the country I've lived. It's not as divisive and combative. Most everyone is pretty mellow. I personally dig that.

Old 08-01-2012, 01:01 PM

251 posts, read 229,872 times
Corvallis is real nice and has alot of outdoor stuff to do. It does have a major universty so it tends to be liberal but it is not Super Liberal Like Eugene. Corvallis is near the coast and is just amazing and the people there are super smart. Also you could go to Newport which is really center but It is rather hard to get a job
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon