Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 04:27 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,189,652 times

Advertisements

I would second some of the places mentioned such as Baker, Ontario. While it's not entirely true to say the Pendleton or Hermiston "doesn't get the winter sun" (it does get socked in by fog on occasion) it does get considerably more sun than most areas of Oregon...and a little bit of elevation makes a huge difference. While it might be socked in down in Hermiston or Pendleton, just up the highway to either Heppner or Pilot Rock you are usually in the sun...there can be a huge difference.

All I know is that my years in the Columbia Basin left my wife and I literally actually doing this...sit up in bed in the morning, pull the curtain aside and look out and say "Sigh--Looks like another beautiful day." We would get to the point that we would just about kill for a cloud, a passing shower, a drizzly day. They just didn't happen often.

As far as "unbearably" hot--we didn't think so. If you get some elevation like at LaGrande, Baker, Wallowa, you don't get too awfully many scorchers. But, it's relative. Someone from Nome might think so...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 05:21 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,112,201 times
Sunny, mild winters, small town, near recreational areas including fly fishing
St George, Utah?

Old 01-23-2011, 09:09 PM

8 posts, read 24,924 times
I suppose the person who asked this question in 2007 got her answer but I want to say Wenatchee, WA is my vote. I've lived here 8 years and know whereof I speak. The winters are cloudy with snow during December and a little on each side of December, but the spring, summer, fall are gloriously sunny - can get quite hot in July-Aug. You can wear shorts and sandals and things I could never do while living in the Seattle area. It's a great place to retire; good medical, lots of outdoor sports, a good social scene and plenty of good restaurants. And also, a mall. It's about perfect if you don't mind the 2 hour drive over the mountains to get to a metro.

Old 01-24-2011, 07:06 AM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times
There are a few nice spots on River Road by the CO River, between Lake Havasu City & Laughlin,NV. Good Striper & catfishin'. Beautiful sunrises & sunsets.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:38 AM

1 posts, read 2,478 times
anywhere east of the cascades in Washington will get you plenty of sun compared to the west side, Oroville, Tonasket, Omak, Okanogan, Twisp, Brewster, Pateros, Chelan, Manson, Entiat, Wenatchee..... Quite honestly look at highway 97 from the canadian border down to klamath falls, OR and you will find exactly what your looking for!! My favorite part of the nation is on this small towns corridor

Old 01-24-2011, 12:12 PM

318 posts, read 516,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northwest man View Post
...Quite honestly look at highway 97 from the canadian border down to klamath falls, OR and you will find exactly what your looking for!! My favorite part of the nation is on this small towns corridor
Agreed, lots of possibilities along that route, as well as up & down US 395. If one cannot find a personally agreeable community to reside in down US 97 or US 395 from Canada down through southern Oregon then one did not investigate enough, in my opinion. You'll discover a wide, elclectic mix of landscapes, towns/villages & good people along those highways.

Reminds me of US 385 in some ways, from the northern Black Hills in southwest SD all the way down to TX/MX border: many decent, smaller hamlets/communities on the way spread out along some magnificent open country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon