U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-27-2007, 09:32 AM

26 posts, read 132,549 times
Lightbulb more than 300 days of sunshine????

Does anyone know of somewhere east of the Mts that has more than 300 days of sunshine, I am so sick of the west side of the mts weather. We will be retiring in about 5 years, This place does not have to be in Washington, we are considering Idaho & Oregon, Nevada, Possibly Arizona also. We want a small town atmosphere, I love to garden, hubby wants to fly fish, we want somewhere close to recreational area's so when the future grandkids come to visit, there will be lots to do, snow is alright just as long as we get away from the doom and gloom. Any suggestions? Thank you for any help You can give.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2007, 09:48 AM

4,092 posts, read 7,812,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LISA IN LONGVIEW View Post
Does anyone know of somewhere east of the Mts that has more than 300 days of sunshine, I am so sick of the west side of the mts weather. We will be retiring in about 5 years, This place does not have to be in Washington, we are considering Idaho & Oregon, Nevada, Possibly Arizona also. We want a small town atmosphere, I love to garden, hubby wants to fly fish, we want somewhere close to recreational area's so when the future grandkids come to visit, there will be lots to do, snow is alright just as long as we get away from the doom and gloom. Any suggestions? Thank you for any help You can give.
Klamath Falls Chamber of Commerce claims 300 days of sun. I'm thinking, based on reviewing weather data, that it's really more in the mid-200s, but I guess it's how you define "sunny"

In my own search for a similar climate, you either have to go far west (out at least to Boise) to get that winter sun or you have to go far south and a little west. Going out to Pendleton or Tri-Cities still doesn't quite get the winter sun, and neither does Bend. Medford's also got somewhere near 200 sunny days.

The only problem with gardening is that once you cross the Cascades you start getting a limited number of frost-free days - the growing season drops from "just about all year" to 100-180 days.

Old 09-27-2007, 12:37 PM

3,452 posts, read 3,999,518 times
In Washington, Winthrop looked pretty dry the last time I was there. In Oregon, anything in the SE section of the state, from Baker City south will probably suit you. Burns is on the north edge of the Black Rock Desert, one of the most arid deserts in North America.

Old 09-27-2007, 01:12 PM

4,092 posts, read 7,812,202 times
"Dry" and "sunny" are not always the same thing in winter, oddly enough. The City Data pages have a great little graph of "% sun."

Here's Winthrop:
http://pics2.city-data.com/w6/sun23400.png (broken link)

Here's Bend:
http://pics2.city-data.com/w6/sun17902.png (broken link)

Medford:
http://pics2.city-data.com/w6/sun18045.png (broken link)

Klamath Falls:
http://pics2.city-data.com/w6/sun18021.png (broken link)

As always, you have to take the interpretations with a grain of salt - there's another graph on the same page which doesn't always agree with this one.

Old 09-27-2007, 05:36 PM

1,849 posts, read 4,598,466 times
Default sunny days

You'd have a choice of cities in eastern or southern Oregon. Nobody can say for sure they'll have 300 days of bright sun.

Here is another city with lots of sun, Ontario. You'd have the snake river going by town for fishing too.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Ontario-Oregon.html

Old 09-27-2007, 07:05 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,830,735 times
You should look at Baker City. Sometimes cloudy in December and January but otherwise usually sunny.

A lot of people garden. My neighbor goes fishing every morning and usually catches trout.

Plenty of outdoor recreation in the Wallowa-Whitman National Forest; the headquarters is in Baker City:
Wallowa-Whitman National Forest - Welcome!

City is has a great infrastructure and is well maintained. Downtown looks great:
Historic Baker City, Oregon

Housing is very reasonable compared to Western Oregon.

Very low stress level.

Old 09-28-2007, 05:22 AM

771 posts, read 1,110,030 times
I can vouch for Baker City. Great little town. It does get cold there. I lived east of there for a while as a kid. I don't recall much in the way of gloomy weather. I do remember freezing my butt off doing outdoor work. 4 degrees is damn cold but with some sun and no wind it was tolerable as long as I stayed busy with the work. The Snake river is wonderful country. Hells Canyon is a favorite spot of mine. Lots of places to fish near Baker City. Its on my list as a possible summer home when I retire. I will be wintering in the south somewhere .

Squidlo

Old 11-16-2010, 05:27 AM

392 posts, read 723,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterlily View Post
You'd have a choice of cities in eastern or southern Oregon. Nobody can say for sure they'll have 300 days of bright sun.

Here is another city with lots of sun, Ontario. You'd have the snake river going by town for fishing too.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Ontario-Oregon.html
I lived in Ontario (Malheur county seat) during my high school years, and it's a very nice town. Population of just over 10k, mostly farming area, and less than an hour to Boise. The weather's great, not much rain at all, and just a little snow during the winter. If you're looking for even smaller towns, there are some close to Ontario. The hospital's good, the people are really nice, and the county fair is a lot of fun

Old 11-16-2010, 10:20 AM

965 posts, read 1,551,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Klamath Falls Chamber of Commerce claims 300 days of sun.
The chamber of commerce, maybe. According to NOAA statistics, Yuma, AZ, the sunniest city in the U.S. (and arguably, in the world) has 242 sunny days a year. Phoenix has 211 and Las Vegas 210. No place outside the desert southwest has more than 200.

But total number of sunny days doesn't tell the whole story. Redding, CA has more sunny days than Las Cruces, NM, but the cloudy days that Redding gets fall in the middle of the winter when days are short. Las Cruces gets its cloudy weather in the middle of the summer when clouds are more appreciated. Its winter days are not only clear, but also significantly longer than in Redding, so it feels like a much sunnier climate.

Locations east of the Cascades will be marginally sunnier, but there's just no way to find relief from winter gloom at this latitude. You really have to get south of the 35th latitude for that: California from San Luis Obispo south, the southern two-thirds of Arizona, New Mexico and Texas, the Gulf Coast and Florida.

Old 11-16-2010, 02:08 PM

378 posts, read 928,794 times
I would like to know how many of the "sunny" days are unbearably hot?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon