U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2017, 03:09 PM

25,100 posts, read 33,398,131 times

Advertisements

I've lived in different parts of the state and wouldn't describe any of it as, "very, very conservative."

It's per se.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2017, 05:37 PM

780 posts, read 1,265,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I've lived in different parts of the state and wouldn't describe any of it as, "very, very conservative."

It's per se.

From several people I spoke to in Pendleton ( the largest city in Eastern OR ) they were very, very conservative to me. These were very pro 2nd Amendment folks, who attended church every week, they were pro-birth under any circumstance ( notice I didn't use pro-life ) and one guy was a member of a team who were actively building an underground bunker because you know, Obama was going to take his guns away:

'I

Also, doing a search on what people in the region listen to on the radio, Pendleton alone, has a very popular conservative radio station ( not that I would expect to find a liberal media station in this area at all, other than OPB if you could call that a "liberal media station" but everyone there I spoke with, seemed to listen to 1290AM on the radio and strongly believed everything it broadcasted.

Sorry for the typo, yes, it's "per se".

Old 03-12-2017, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
According to Gallup more Oregonians self-identify as MODERATE than either LIBERAL or CONSERVATIVE.
Which Oregon politicians that these voters have voted for, would you call "moderate"?

Old 03-12-2017, 06:16 PM

992 posts, read 790,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylar0201 View Post
Take the 2.5 million folks that make up Portland and Eugene ( and no, Springfield don't count as Springfield is conservative; especially compared to Eugene ), and everywhere else in OR is mainly very, very conservative.
Got it. Get rid of the vast majority of Oregonians and then its conservative. I suppose you could say if you got rid of the majority of Texans, Texas becomes liberal. That is ridiculous. Oregon has some sparsely populated conservative areas, but the majority of Oregonians aren't conservative.

Old 03-12-2017, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Western Urbanite View Post
Got it. Get rid of the vast majority of Oregonians and then its conservative. I suppose you could say if you got rid of the majority of Texans, Texas becomes liberal. That is ridiculous. Oregon has some sparsely populated conservative areas, but the majority of Oregonians aren't conservative.
Wow...talk about being ridiculous.

You do know that most rural areas are conservative, right?? I'm not talking about just Oregon, Texas or even UT ( the most conservative state in the nation ) but everywhere, right? Very, very few rural areas are liberal. There are small pockets scattered around the US, but its not like you can find them everywhere, outside of ski resort towns, or college towns.

I would however, agree to an extent with the other poster on here that said some Oregonians classify themselves as moderate than either conservative or liberal, but Oregon doesn't vote for moderate politicians. Its not a swing state like CO, NM, IA, MO, VA, NC, etc.

Old 03-12-2017, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylar0201 View Post
From several people I spoke to in Pendleton ( the largest city in Eastern OR ) they were very, very conservative to me. These were very pro 2nd Amendment folks, who attended church every week, they were pro-birth under any circumstance ( notice I didn't use pro-life ) and one guy was a member of a team who were actively building an underground bunker because you know, Obama was going to take his guns away:

'I

Also, doing a search on what people in the region listen to on the radio, Pendleton alone, has a very popular conservative radio station ( not that I would expect to find a liberal media station in this area at all, other than OPB if you could call that a "liberal media station" but everyone there I spoke with, seemed to listen to 1290AM on the radio and strongly believed everything it broadcasted.

Sorry for the typo, yes, it's "per se".
I wouldn't describe it as "very, very conservative," sorry. I lived out in Eastern Oregon and spoke with more than a few people there...conservative, I can buy, but not very, very conservative as in parts of the American South or Alaska. And you can find plenty of conservative talk radio all over Oregon.

BTW, Hermiston is Eastern Oregon's largest city, not Pendleton.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 03-12-2017 at 08:45 PM..

Old 03-12-2017, 08:58 PM

15,293 posts, read 16,443,860 times
Quote:

It's per se.
Even the most conservative parts of the state are screaming liberals compared to the bible buckle.

Old 03-12-2017, 10:38 PM

256 posts, read 240,033 times
Just anecdotally speaking, no actual data here: Less liberal than Eugene, Corvalls, Ashland, and Portland. Less conservative than Albany, Medford, Roseburg, and Klamath. Haven't spent enough time in Bend or Salem to honestly answer.

Old 03-13-2017, 04:44 AM

Quote:
I wouldn't describe it as "very, very conservative," sorry. I lived out in Eastern Oregon and spoke with more than a few people there...conservative, I can buy, but not very, very conservative as in parts of the American South or Alaska. And you can find plenty of conservative talk radio all over Oregon.

BTW, Hermiston is Eastern Oregon's largest city, not Pendleton.
No, Hermiston is the more populated, but Pendleton is largest in size. Hermiston has about 2k more people, but Pendleton is about 3 sq miles larger in size, but yes, I wouldn't classify any of OR as similar as the Bible-belt area of the SE.

Old 03-13-2017, 11:08 AM

Usually when people reference the largest city, they're talking about population. This makes sense in this conversation because population was part of the discussion. Anyway, I'm done -- no need for a reply; this conversation is a ridiculous waste of time and I won't be back to the thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon