U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 08:05 PM

1,477 posts, read 1,110,611 times
goodness! my msn home page says it's 90 here. didn't know it was that hot today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 09:15 PM

3,571 posts, read 4,137,156 times
Summer in Oregon starts on the 4th of July. It goes from 65 to 90 and everyone bakes until they get used to it. The evenings are cool.

Old 07-07-2012, 09:26 PM

38 posts, read 66,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thgenSF View Post
yeah, i was commenting about the OP's wanting lows of 50's in january. maybe he meant highs? that certainly isn't a january low. and likely not a high either. i'll go check the weather here but it's a LOT cooler than 96! probably low 80's right now.
Actually, I meant January lows. Believe it or not, places like that exist

For example, check out the temperature graph for Santa Monica, California on that city-data page: http://www.city-data.com/city/Santa-...alifornia.html

The temperature is exactly what I'm looking for, but the cost of living and cultural dynamics... well, not so much

That's why I had to re-prioritize my Utopian list a bit, and why temperatures ultimately lost a bit of weight for me. I realize Oregon isn't going to give me those dream-temp's and I'm ok with that; as ok as I can be, anyway

Last edited by NomadicPhotographer; 07-07-2012 at 09:33 PM.. Reason: added smiley cuz it sounded harsh

Old 07-07-2012, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicPhotographer View Post
Actually, I meant January lows. Believe it or not, places like that exist

For example, check out the temperature graph for Santa Monica, California on that city-data page: http://www.city-data.com/city/Santa-...alifornia.html

The temperature is exactly what I'm looking for, but the cost of living and cultural dynamics... well, not so much

That's why I had to re-prioritize my Utopian list a bit, and why temperatures ultimately lost a bit of weight for me. I realize Oregon isn't going to give me those dream-temp's and I'm ok with that; as ok as I can be, anyway
no way is that near an oregon low. as far as i know, it snows in grants pass. we get a tiny bit here two or so hours north. i've lived in los angeles and yes, their winter is divine. winter here is way to cold for me. i'm used to northern cal. temps and much prefer winter there. lows have been in the teens here and 20's is very common. what i didn't realize before i came here was that the winter highs were not much higher than the lows! if it gets up to the 40's, we're doing well.

Old 07-07-2012, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Summer in Oregon starts on the 4th of July. It goes from 65 to 90 and everyone bakes until they get used to it. The evenings are cool.
i get used to it by about september when it goes AWAY! no happy medium here. although this year has been unusually pleasant with many days in the 60's and 70's.

Old 07-07-2012, 10:08 PM

1,349 posts, read 1,110,456 times
Yep. With those perfect temps, come lots of people and high prices! I'd rather suffer the cold a bit. The spring and fall are so awesome! And the high temps are usually only July and August. I think the average is still 89 for those months, in GP.

Old 07-08-2012, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicPhotographer View Post
I guess no place is for everyone, eureka. Since I've not yet visited the area, I can't respond either way.

That said, I'm interested to know some of the places that you have in mind. May I ask you to list a few (not a crazy long list, maybe just 4-5 off the top of your head) places that you like better than Grants Pass and that are roughly similar in size and surroundings? I'd love to give them a look, too!
i haven't been there but i think brookings might be a great place. not as hot, not as cold. since you aren't looking for work, it could be a great option. i'd like to at least see it but it's almost four hours from here and i need to be someplace with work. which isn't here!

Old 07-08-2012, 09:41 AM

1,349 posts, read 1,110,456 times
Brookings is a nice town, but their average rainfall is 75 - 77 inches. GP is about 30".

Old 07-08-2012, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thgenSF View Post
i haven't been there but i think brookings might be a great place. not as hot, not as cold. since you aren't looking for work, it could be a great option. i'd like to at least see it but it's almost four hours from here and i need to be someplace with work. which isn't here!
Thanks for that suggestion, 5th!

A quick look at this past year's seasonal temperatures in Brookings looks quite pleasant:
Summer (5/22 - 8/21) 2011:
__________________ Max ____ Avg ____ Min
Max Temperature __ 93F ___ 64F ___ 51F
Mean Temperature _ 76F ___ 57F ___ 47F
Min Temperature __ 57F ___ 50F ___ 41F

Fall (8/22 - 11/21) 2011:
Max Temperature __ 99F ___ 64F ___ 45F
Mean Temperature _ 86F ___ 56F ___ 41F
Min Temperature __ 73F ___ 49F ___ 34F

Winter (11/22/2011 - 2/21/2012) 2011-2012:
Max Temperature __ 66F ___ 53F ___ 41F
Mean Temperature _ 60F ___ 47F ___ 36F
Min Temperature __ 54F ___ 40F ___ 31F

Spring (2/22 - 5/21) 2012:
Max Temperature __ 77F ___ 54F ___ 43F
Mean Temperature _ 64F ___ 48F ___ 38F
Min Temperature __ 52F ___ 41F ___ 32F
I also like that it's on the Oregon coast (which I've heard so much about and can't wait to see!) and that it's close enough to California that I can conveniently visit the giant trees just across the border (never have seen them up-close so that's a treat I'm looking forward to, too!).

I'll do some more reading about Brookings today. Thanks again!

Old 07-08-2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadylady View Post
Brookings is a nice town, but their average rainfall is 75 - 77 inches. GP is about 30".
Well that does put a slight damper on the situation (pun intended hehe!)

It seems to be split about half that rain in spring, half in summer. At least we can cheer for a relatively dry winter, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon