Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2007, 01:44 PM

12 posts, read 51,468 times

Advertisements

I want to drive from Portland, OR by way of I84 connecting to I80 going to Philadelphia, PA. I will be leaving the last week in October. I am looking for information on driving conditions from Portland to the other side of the Rockies. I am worried about snow. Any help would be great.

Last edited by robinons1; 10-07-2007 at 01:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2007, 01:55 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,681,555 times
The last week in September was two weeks ago. It's not clear when you are driving.

Carry tire chains, warm winter clothes, a blanket, spare food and water, and a cell phone. And a good book or two. Keep your gas tank at least half full. You may get stuck behind an accident for a while, but the main roads are all plowed. Delays shouldn't be more than an hour or two, unless they close the road completely, which they do in major storms. If that happens, look for a motel and try the next day. Roads can get very icy. Expect to drive slowly in bad weather. If you are in doubt, dial 511, which will give you road reports.

Old 10-07-2007, 01:59 PM

Sorry about that meant October.

Old 10-07-2007, 02:09 PM

Should I take you're response to mean the snow is on the ground now? When I drove out here I made it from Denver to downtown Portland in a day. I have looked at weather site and can't seem to get any good info for the passes.

Old 10-07-2007, 03:25 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,681,555 times
Only at high elevations, but when you are travelling the West in the winter, it is wise to be prepared. I stuff a duffel bag with a sleeping bag, extra socks and gloves, vacuum packed peanuts, etc. and put it behind the seat. It's there. I'll go years without using it, but when you need it you really need it.

Chances are you will sail right through on the interstate, but I-84 can turn into a solid sheet of ice, and they close the whole freeway, often just overnight, but sometimes for a couple of days. The Columbia Gorge is a big slice through the Cascade Mountains. When an arctic front moves down from the east and a warm storm moves in off the ocean, you can get freezing rain an inch thick, and 50 mph winds that will blow a car right off the road.

Chances are, you will be fine. Just be prepared to hole up for a while, just in case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
View detailed profiles of: