Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 12:49 AM

5 posts, read 11,599 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, I'm an international student and I applied to OIT Portland but the said that i have to do a year first in Klamath Falls. I really don' know what to do, i've always lived in a big city and i really like to go out to try new restaurants every now and then, i like malls and movie theaters, but Klamath Falls barely has any. So, what I need now is a place to live in, all i care about is a safe area and a clean place. What is the most luxurious area in that town? Price doesn't matter.

Homestays are ok too.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by s3ud1971; 08-07-2012 at 12:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 06:37 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,438,992 times
How about going to a community college to get your pre-req's out of the way before doing a stint at OIT?

Old 08-07-2012, 08:00 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,543,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s3ud1971 View Post
Hey guys, I'm an international student and I applied to OIT Portland but the said that i have to do a year first in Klamath Falls. I really don' know what to do, i've always lived in a big city and i really like to go out to try new restaurants every now and then, i like malls and movie theaters, but Klamath Falls barely has any. So, what I need now is a place to live in, all i care about is a safe area and a clean place. What is the most luxurious area in that town? Price doesn't matter.

Homestays are ok too.

Thanks in advance.
Call to OIT and ask for some assistance. They have people coming to K-Falls all the time. However, as one who lived there for 7 years I can tell you there is little to no good restaurants.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:24 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,826,232 times
If your preference is for a big city and all the amenities, you are going to have a tough time in Klamath Falls. There really is no "luxurious" part of town - it's a small, mostly working-class, agriculture-based area. You won't find fine dining or nightclubs in town.

Is the point of the one-year stint that you'd be considered an Oregon resident? If so, you could do that anywhere in Oregon, including Portland, Oregon's largest city. You might also be able to take some classes at OIT's Portland campus.

Old 08-07-2012, 05:14 PM

Hmm, in case I misinterpreted your post and you really want to go to the Portland OIT campus but are being told you must do prerequisites in Klamath Falls for a year first - my comment about Klamath Falls still stands. You won't find luxury or upscale lodgings in a small rural town. Fortunately, it's only a year, and I take it a school year at that, so you should be there only two semesters. If, as you say, money is no object, you can always fly out of Klamath Falls to Portland or San Francisco on weekends or long weekends.

The area south/southeast of campus, east of 97 and up against the hills, is fairly nice and close to school. There is a resort area called Running Y, well west of town, but I don't recommend that if you'll be here over the winter and driving into school every day. It also caters to a golf crowd probably significantly older than you are.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:19 PM

On the other hand, I've got some great memories of studying in the common areas on the fourth floor of the dorms watching thunderstorms and sunsets over the lake.

It's not an all bad area, just don't go expecting a large city with gourmet dining around every corner.

Old 08-07-2012, 11:27 PM

Thanks guys for the replies, they were really helpful. The thing is, I already know i'm going to Klamath Falls, so since i'm not spending my money like if i were in a big city, I thought i should spend it on a clean place that would be worth it. I'll stay in a hotel for the first week and i'll ask around and see for myself. And as you said PNW-type-gal, it's only for two terms.

Is it true that they only have one movie theater?! And it doesn't show new movies when they are released?? If so, how long does it take to sgow a brand new movie like Batman ?

Thanks again. I really appreciate it.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Is it true that they only have one movie theater?! And it doesn't show new movies when they are released?? If so, how long does it take to sgow a brand new movie like Batman
Yes, there is just the one movie theater - but they do show major first run movies in first release. If you want to see the latest blockbuster, they'll have it. Dark Knight, Avengers, etc opened here the same time they opened in wide release everywhere else. If you want to see anything other than the latest big release, you won't see that here. They also show some movies in 3D but not IMAX.

Also, since you didn't mention it, do you have a car? Do you have any experience driving in snow and ice?

Old 08-08-2012, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Thanks guys for the replies, they were really helpful. The thing is, I already know i'm going to Klamath Falls, so since i'm not spending my money like if i were in a big city, I thought i should spend it on a clean place that would be worth it. I'll stay in a hotel for the first week and i'll ask around and see for myself. And as you said PNW-type-gal, it's only for two terms.
As a Freshman student, you may have to live on Campus. The new dorms look pretty nice from the outside at least. I'd probably still opt for the old dorms though - at least for the view.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:36 AM

PNW-type-gal: Better than I thought! Thanks! As for the car, Yes, I have driven in WI last winter but I wouldn't consider my self a professional at driving in snow.

hamellr: They can't make me live in campus, can they? I really don't like living on campuses and I wasn't planning to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon