U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 02:39 PM

53 posts, read 45,694 times
OIT (http://www.oit.edu/) has a better reputation than ITT Tech, at least in Oregon, from what I've heard. But I also have never heard anything negative about ITT Tech, either. That's my only opinion on that.

Salem is the state capitol and it seems like there is a demand for Information Technology positions. I am a state worker and every time I check on jobs, there are always several listed. I know nothing of Portland, but I'm sure, being much bigger than Salem, there is also a large private sector I.T. job market there.

As far as land, I would think Salem would be a better bet than Portland. I don't know about the laws regarding animals, but you could find a large sprawl on the outskirts of South Salem or the outskirts of West Salem that would accomodate you, I'm sure. Then again, there are several multi-acre homes within city limits (especially in Keizer) that I regularly see horses and chickens on, so you're not limited to the outer limits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2012, 10:31 AM

6,456 posts, read 7,009,251 times
You are moving to the 'Silicon Forest', as some would say you won't be in Kansas any more. We have professionals and technicians here from the Silicon Valley. Employer's expectations and the quality of applicants for technology positions is high. You will be passed over with ITT Tech on your resume but will receive a look with OTI. Portland State University is a very good school but if tech is what interests you OTI is the school to attend whether or not you hope to attain a Bachelor's degree.

Because Salem is evidently an option for your SO take a look at Oregon State in Corvallis. Keep in mind, however, that there are fewer tech employment opportunities around Salem.

Last edited by Nell Plotts; 08-11-2012 at 11:35 AM..

Old 08-17-2012, 11:33 PM

1,329 posts, read 1,170,986 times
I would suggest Portland. I really dislike Salem, the way the town is set up just really bothers me and for a city its size there is nothing to do. It reminds me of the cities in Ohio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon