U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 10:39 AM

40 posts, read 134,305 times

Advertisements

I'm shannon, I need some advice!! I have been looking at places all over oregon/washington but its hard to know what they actually are like without having lived/been there. I love the outdoors, I want to live somewhere beautiful and green and surrounded with mountains/forrest/lakes where I can hike, mountain bike, kayak, etc. I'm looking for the ideal place for kids to grow up, that is safe, and friendly, and has good schools. that's really the most important thing. Low crime, low population(2-10,000 ish, but I'm a little flexible on that if its a great town), and quite a ways (an hour at least) from seattle or portland. But I want it to be a town where there is some culture, & positive activities for kids, too. I want to live somewhere that's still in pretty good shape economy wise, not about to become a ghost town or anything. Just trying to find the right balance! Mostly I've been looking at places on the Olympic Peninsula/Puget sound area, in western Oregon, or north of Seattle. I also love Bend, OR/Tumalo, OR. My grandma has a house there and I've spent a lot of my childhood days over there. I've been through Sisters and it was really beautiful. Some other towns that have been mentioned to me are Sweet Home, Brownsville, Monmouth, and Silverton. Of course, I'm deffinitely open to other areas!! Most of my research has been in washington, so I want to look more at Oregon now. So if there's anything you can tell me about these towns or others in Oregon (or Washington), I would really appreciate it! I've lived in Vancouver, WA my whole life. It has its good and bad features, but I'm really done with the crime/drug problem that's developing here due to its proximity to Portland and the rising population. A lot of people I knew in high school are into alcohol or hard drugs now, its very sad because this used to be such a nice place but I couldn't imagine raising a family here. I am 21 & going to school to be a doctor, I know its a ways away because I have to get through school first but I've been with my boyfriend for 4 years now and we want to have a place in mind when the time comes. Any input would be great!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 10:49 AM

1,580 posts, read 1,917,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northwestlove View Post
I'm shannon, I need some advice!! I have been looking at places all over oregon/washington but its hard to know what they actually are like without having lived/been there. I love the outdoors, I want to live somewhere beautiful and green and surrounded with mountains/forrest/lakes where I can hike, mountain bike, kayak, etc. I'm looking for the ideal place for kids to grow up, that is safe, and friendly, and has good schools. that's really the most important thing. Low crime, low population(2-10,000 ish, but I'm a little flexible on that if its a great town), and quite a ways (an hour at least) from seattle or portland. But I want it to be a town where there is some culture, & positive activities for kids, too. I want to live somewhere that's still in pretty good shape economy wise, not about to become a ghost town or anything. Just trying to find the right balance! Mostly I've been looking at places on the Olympic Peninsula/Puget sound area, in western Oregon, or north of Seattle. I also love Bend, OR/Tumalo, OR. My grandma has a house there and I've spent a lot of my childhood days over there. I've been through Sisters and it was really beautiful. Some other towns that have been mentioned to me are Sweet Home, Brownsville, Monmouth, and Silverton. Of course, I'm deffinitely open to other areas!! Most of my research has been in washington, so I want to look more at Oregon now. So if there's anything you can tell me about these towns or others in Oregon (or Washington), I would really appreciate it! I've lived in Vancouver, WA my whole life. It has its good and bad features, but I'm really done with the crime/drug problem that's developing here due to its proximity to Portland and the rising population. A lot of people I knew in high school are into alcohol or hard drugs now, its very sad because this used to be such a nice place but I couldn't imagine raising a family here. I am 21 & going to school to be a doctor, I know its a ways away because I have to get through school first but I've been with my boyfriend for 4 years now and we want to have a place in mind when the time comes. Any input would be great!!
Philomath if you can find a job there or Corvallis/Albany.

3500-4000 people
~3 hours from Portland
20 minutes from Corvallis, 30-40 from Albany
Lots to do in immediate area
Near Cascades range, within 2 hours of Newport for shore/ocean stuff
Decent schools
Economy okay (lumber mills going down but within commuting distance from Cov/Alb)
You're going to find meth issues in any small town

Old 08-22-2012, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
You're going to find meth issues in any small town
I don't think thats necessarily true, my boyfriend grew up in a town of about 1700 people and there was virtually no drug use there. one or two bad eggs maybe, but nothing that would effect the other people too much. That being said I do realize there will be some drug use anywhere you go, I just dont want to live somewhere where you can walk down your street and be able to buy heroin.

I've never been to philomath, but it sounds nice I'll deffinitely look into it. Is there much crime there?
Thanks so much for your advice!

-Shannon

Old 08-22-2012, 02:57 PM

7,023 posts, read 7,897,853 times
I have never heard a claim that Oregon was sort of the seed of a nationwide meth epidemic. I do know that Oregon was one of the first states to limit the sale of over the counter medications that contain Pseudoephedrine .

Don't you believe that meth is an issue of the poor. Oh they may sell it but users can be found in every economic group -- everywhere. Drug marketers follow the money.

Old 08-22-2012, 03:30 PM

3,389 posts, read 3,443,114 times
Back to the topic, please.

Old 08-22-2012, 03:48 PM

10,993 posts, read 18,889,531 times
You are so far out from settling somewhere that it makes little sense to start looking now. You will be massively in debt from med school and you will go where you get a job. That will dictate where you live. Looking for your ideal place to live won't happen for at least a decade. A lot can happen to a small town in that time.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:21 PM

3,674 posts, read 7,173,903 times
I might suggest LaPine. It's year round outdoor activities at its finest.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:51 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,314,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
You are so far out from settling somewhere that it makes little sense to start looking now. You will be massively in debt from med school and you will go where you get a job. That will dictate where you live. Looking for your ideal place to live won't happen for at least a decade. A lot can happen to a small town in that time.
This right here, 21 years old, still looking to get into college. With your boyfriend for four years, and you're looking for somewhat mutually exclusive preferences; a small town that is safe, has good schools, and lots of activities for children.

You didn't list it, but you're also going to want a job as a doctor I assume. So that means you'll need to find a small town that needs a general practitioner, or you're going to end up specializing in a specific field such as Elder Care or End of Life Care.

Statistically you're going to break up with your boyfriend in the next two years, and as a young woman your priorities are going to change drastically by the time you're 26. Especially as you go through your internships and residencies and start to experience more of the world. When you graduate the world is going to be a very different place.

I'm willing to bet that a lot of "small towns" are going to be growing significantly as the price of gas and oil continue to rise. People are going to start moving out of larger cities and living more rurally so that they can grow their own food and re-learn to be somewhat self sufficient. A lot of small Oregon cities will also need to reinvent themselves as the Federal Timber Payments keep getting cut.

A lot of this reinvention will likely be around the Internet and will start catering to remote and virtual workers. From a physical stand point, Portland has been a huge hub for Internet since the 1970's, with direct connections between Seattle and San Francisco. And as companies put more large data centers in Eastern Oregon the need for more physical wires is going to grow, right now all of that routes through the Portland area. Eventually we're going to hit a saturation point where it makes financial sense (perhaps spurred on by local and Federal Government subsidies,) to run Fiber to more rural areas at which point towns along the Gorge, Central Oregon (around Bend,) and all through the Willamette Valley are going to explode in Population.

This is already happening to a certain extent, my work computer is already 100% setup in such a way that I can work from anywhere in the world and communicate to my team. It's just a small step to eliminate my physical desk and have me work from my desk at home.

I digressed and went off topic a little, but I wanted to explain to you why planning so far ahead isn't really worth your time. BUT, personally I would still go visit every one of these towns. Drive the full length of the Oregon Coast and stay a day or two in the larger cities. Pick up a map of Oregon, throw a dart at it and go visit that place, be sure to visit in both the Winter and Summer to be sure you can stand the weather. When you find some place you like, keep it in mind, read about it, keep up with the local news. If you do it this way, by the time that important decision comes, you'll be ready for it.

That all being said and based on what I wrote above, Philomath is likely a bad idea, it's going to keep growing drastically in the next few years to take care of the over flow from Corvallis and Albany. Anything along the I-5 corridor will be just as bad as their populations grow, this includes Sweet Home, Brownsville, Monmouth, and Silverton, Cottage Grove. Not to mention Medford, Ashland, Roseburg, Grants Pass, and all their nearby neighbors. They're all OK to good small and medium sized towns now, but in a decade who knows.

I'd look towards Southern Oregon Coastal towns from Gold Beach all the way up to Florence. Maybe in a decade Coos Bay would be worth looking at again. I'd also look at places like Fossil, Union, Lakeview, Enterprise/Joseph, Burns, and heavily ponder if you really could live in any of those places. All these towns are more likely to escape heavy population growth in the next decade. But keep in mind that these places continue to be small towns for reasons that are totally based on economy.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
This right here, 21 years old, still looking to get into college. With your boyfriend for four years, and you're looking for somewhat mutually exclusive preferences; a small town that is safe, has good schools, and lots of activities for children.

You didn't list it, but you're also going to want a job as a doctor I assume. So that means you'll need to find a small town that needs a general practitioner, or you're going to end up specializing in a specific field such as Elder Care or End of Life Care.

Statistically you're going to break up with your boyfriend in the next two years, and as a young woman your priorities are going to change drastically by the time you're 26. Especially as you go through your internships and residencies and start to experience more of the world. When you graduate the world is going to be a very different place.

I'm willing to bet that a lot of "small towns" are going to be growing significantly as the price of gas and oil continue to rise. People are going to start moving out of larger cities and living more rurally so that they can grow their own food and re-learn to be somewhat self sufficient. A lot of small Oregon cities will also need to reinvent themselves as the Federal Timber Payments keep getting cut.

A lot of this reinvention will likely be around the Internet and will start catering to remote and virtual workers. From a physical stand point, Portland has been a huge hub for Internet since the 1970's, with direct connections between Seattle and San Francisco. And as companies put more large data centers in Eastern Oregon the need for more physical wires is going to grow, right now all of that routes through the Portland area. Eventually we're going to hit a saturation point where it makes financial sense (perhaps spurred on by local and Federal Government subsidies,) to run Fiber to more rural areas at which point towns along the Gorge, Central Oregon (around Bend,) and all through the Willamette Valley are going to explode in Population.

This is already happening to a certain extent, my work computer is already 100% setup in such a way that I can work from anywhere in the world and communicate to my team. It's just a small step to eliminate my physical desk and have me work from my desk at home.

I digressed and went off topic a little, but I wanted to explain to you why planning so far ahead isn't really worth your time. BUT, personally I would still go visit every one of these towns. Drive the full length of the Oregon Coast and stay a day or two in the larger cities. Pick up a map of Oregon, throw a dart at it and go visit that place, be sure to visit in both the Winter and Summer to be sure you can stand the weather. When you find some place you like, keep it in mind, read about it, keep up with the local news. If you do it this way, by the time that important decision comes, you'll be ready for it.

That all being said and based on what I wrote above, Philomath is likely a bad idea, it's going to keep growing drastically in the next few years to take care of the over flow from Corvallis and Albany. Anything along the I-5 corridor will be just as bad as their populations grow, this includes Sweet Home, Brownsville, Monmouth, and Silverton, Cottage Grove. Not to mention Medford, Ashland, Roseburg, Grants Pass, and all their nearby neighbors. They're all OK to good small and medium sized towns now, but in a decade who knows.

I'd look towards Southern Oregon Coastal towns from Gold Beach all the way up to Florence. Maybe in a decade Coos Bay would be worth looking at again. I'd also look at places like Fossil, Union, Lakeview, Enterprise/Joseph, Burns, and heavily ponder if you really could live in any of those places. All these towns are more likely to escape heavy population growth in the next decade. But keep in mind that these places continue to be small towns for reasons that are totally based on economy.
I suppose I wasn't clear in my post, but I'm definitely not looking to plan out my entire life at the moment! Haha. When you meet the right person, I think it's understandable to think about those things though. I'm mostly just browsing, trying to find places that I would enjoy living in that would fit my lifestyle/personality/future career needs, and like you said watch them and see how they change, so that when I do get out of school and am seeking employment I will have many options in mind. At present I am nearly finished with my bachelors, just one more year! So its not extremely far off. No decisions are going to be made now; the post is mostly just out of curiosity. I know you say youíre skeptical of my relationship, but honestly if you knew us I think you would change your mind. We have one of the best relationships of any couple I know honestly, and my family already loves him just as if he were part of our family. He's hands down my best friend. BUT, we are also not looking to get married any time soon. I think itís a mistake to get married too young, no matter how great we are together there really isnít any reason to rush into that. Not that this is of importance to you, I just wanted to clarify because statistics aren't true for everyone. Anyways, I do appreciate you taking the time to offer your advice. I completely agree with what you said about anywhere near I-5, that they're bound to only keep growing. And I will definitely look at the towns you suggested. Thanks for your help!

Last edited by northwestlove; 08-24-2012 at 12:48 AM..

Old 08-24-2012, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
I might suggest LaPine. It's year round outdoor activities at its finest.
I have friends who own a property there, I've heard it is beautiful and by looking at a terrain map its fairly secluded, surrounded by hills and forest which is nice. I'll deffinitely visit it at some point. I apreciate your suggestion!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon