Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 01:37 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryway View Post
Is this area you are talking about near Medford? Is the area around Medford suitable for the lifestyle I am looking for? Or is this a different place?
Yes, Medford is in the Rogue Valley, which runs from Ashland to Wolf Creek. There are several nice small towns along the RV. We live in the mountains west of Wolf Creek. I don't know all that much about Medford, other then, many folks seem to like the area. You can get a free Oregon
map at
Oregon Department of Transportation Maps and Transportation Library

www.kobi5.com Medford area news
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 03:27 PM

307 posts, read 981,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
Countryway, I frequent the Colorado forum as well, and I recall your post over there. As someone who is originally from the Denver area, has lived in Fort Collins, Fairplay, and Grand Junction, CO and now lives in Bend, I'll tell you Bend is not what you are looking for. I would actually compare Bend to Boulder or Durango in terms of culture. Sure, there are still some cowboys here and ranching is a part of life for some here. But, from what you've said you are looking for (both on this thread and the Colorado thread), I think you will not like Bend at all.

The suggestion of Prineville is good, although it's definitely more of a desert climate than I think you want (again remembering your post over on the Colorado thread). The Ochoco mountains are right there, but they are not big mountains at all (very much like the foothills). It's a very small town, but I think the country way of life is predominant.

I think the NE part of Oregon is probably your best bet in terms of finding the lifestyle you want coupled with mountains. Look at Pendleton, Baker City and even John Day. I would also consider Boise and the surrounding towns. It's very much a western/cowboy culture there.
Yes! Hi! I remember you on my Colorado thread. Thank you for your insight! I am glad to get your opinion on the Bend area, especially since you are familiar with my wants and needs and familiar with where I live and have been. I don't want to live in a Boulder-like place, so I appreciate your comparisons.

I have heard that Prineville is real nice and country/cowboy. And its nice to be in proximity to a larger city for those types of needs. But I dont like desert areas very much. I lived in AZ for a while and dont like that environment. I definitely like vegetation, farming/ranching, greenery, mountians with plentiful forests.

So, I appreciate your recommending Northeast OR. Pendleton, has been a chief area of consideration for us. So thanks for your info very much. I will continue to consider those areas.

Old 10-04-2012, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
Delta07 is correct about Northeast Oregon probably being your best bet. The culture is almost exactly what you are looking for.

Not only that, much of it looks the part, especially the area shown on this map: Hells Canyon Scenic Byway - Map

Horses, cattle grazing, fields of alfalfa, always with mountains in the background.

Although it usually done with ATVs these days, sometimes you will still see cattle being rounded up by cowboys and cowgirls on horses.

I'm not sure about the opportunities for playing in country music bands, although that doesn't mean that they don't exist.
Those are some glorious pictures!!! Does this include the Pendleton area? Someone told me Pendleton is kind of "deserty". Do you feel this is true, or is it more like the pictures and your descriptions of the areas?

Anyone that can comment, please do.

Old 10-04-2012, 04:54 PM

5,460 posts, read 8,180,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryway View Post
Someone told me Pendleton is kind of "deserty". Do you feel this is true, or is it more like the pictures and your descriptions of the areas?
Pendleton is surrounded by wheat fields. When you are heading west toward Pendleton on I-84 you will come to an infamous downgrade know as Cabbage Hill. http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/MCT/docs/emigranthill.pdf

At the top of this downgrade is an overlook. From there you can see the wheat fields. On clear days the view is impressive. These are not my pictures, but look here:
097 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Of course, the fields turn golden in the fall.

Old 10-06-2012, 04:14 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,440,203 times
Not entirely sure Pendleton is what the OP is looking for either, although it would probably be the best bet. Could also look towards LaGrande, Baker or Ontario.

As others have stated, I'm not sure what the live country music scene, especially older (and better,) stuff is like. My experience in most of Eastern Oregon is that people tend to turn in early because they need to work the next day, so most live music experiences are limited to County Fairs and Rodeos.

Another maybe possibility is Klamath Falls. There used to be a bar that had live musicians occasionally there, but I don't know the status, much less remember the name of the place.

Old 10-06-2012, 08:52 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Pendleton is pretty dry. Things get wetter as you go east. The Wallowa Mountains are gorgeous. Those are the pictures you are seeing in the Halfway shots. Take a look at the area around LaGrande too.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:54 PM

Seems like several of you folks are saying that possibly Baker City or Le Grande would be even better than Pendleton for the kind of environment I seek? I will do some research into those areas.

In what ways are they better than Pendleton, if so? Thanks.

Old 07-29-2013, 10:01 PM

2 posts, read 5,608 times
Cows graze on grass not on trees. To be in "cowboy" country you will have to put up with lots of grass and hay fields. If you have rubber "cowboy" boots forest locations might work. But don't expect to find "cowboys".

Old 07-30-2013, 12:32 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times
If you are thinking of country music dance halls, and country music bars as they are in places like Texas, then you are looking at the wrong state when you look in Oregon. They are few and far between and not large, and really are not the places a serious country musician will find appealing very long. Oregon is more of a logging culture from way back, than cattle and horse country like Texas had.

Bend, is more of a ski culture, etc., than horse country. My family on my mothers side, settled in Oregon in the mid 1800s, though I do not live there any more, I did live there for years at a time in two time periods. Country music was more prevalent 50 years or more ago, than it is today.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:49 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,336,622 times
Ski Country is for the City Folk. Bend is Cow and Horse Country to the Country Folk.

Agraculture other than feed crops is the Willamette Valley, and during dry years they provide a bigger share of the feed crop then Eastern Oregon in the Willamette Valley.

Plenty of horses, Dairy, and Farming with Country Living in Western Oregon too. Dairy is big on the coast as is Beef Cattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon