Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 03:45 PM

307 posts, read 980,461 times

Advertisements

Hi folks. I am considering a much-needed move, to Oregon. I was originally considering eastern Orgeon because I am an agrarian-based person, who wants to live around others with like minds. I want to live in a equine-ranching based area as well as farming is fine too. But within proximity to the mountains as I am an avid outdoorsman, camping, fly-fishing, hiking etc. and will be working in Forestry as well. We are country people, with traditional family values, conservative, western/cowboy, down-home and a bit old fashioned.

I am quite aware of the cultural differences between western OR and eastern. I reckoned I would fit in better on the eastern side for various reasons. But please, if I am incorrect, tell me. I am certainkly no expert on OR.

One of the deciding issues too is live music. I am a Traditional Country Musician too and would like to know if there is a country music culture in OR and if so, where is it predominate? I am looking to be in an area where I can be involved with other musicians and play in bands in decent places. The type of places I am thinking of are establishments that feature live country music and western dancing like dancehalls etc.

I have been considering Pendleton for obvious reasons but am not sure about the intensity of live music on the eastern side as well as what genres are prevelant.

If anyone familiar with this can help, please do. If anyone can comment on the best areas for me in the state regarding culture and music that fits me the best, please do. Thanks so much. I am also looking for any specific info on the suggested towns or areas as well as my initial interest in Pendleton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 08:09 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
East side is definitely your only bet. You should be able to find some kind of musicians to play with, though "country" covers a lot of ground. What is your instrument? Mandolin/fiddle is always in demand.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
East side is definitely your only bet. You should be able to find some kind of musicians to play with, though "country" covers a lot of ground. What is your instrument? Mandolin/fiddle is always in demand.
Thanks for the reply!

As for country music, I specified in my OP that I was a Traditional country musician. I do not play anything that is on the radio today. Some recent artists that influence me are Alan Jackson and older George Strait. Hank Williams, George Jones, Buck Owens, Merle Haggard, Lefty Frizzel, and many others from classic country would be considered Traditionalists. My music would be of that vein. I am not into ANY progressive or alternative country. Thanks for asking!

I play multiple instruments. Acoustic/Electric Lead Guitar, Piano, Harmonica, Bass Guitar, Sing and Songwrite. I am learning the fiddle soon. No mandolin.

Seemed like after doing research that Portland had quite a alot of country bars or dancehalls? I bet the eastside is more suitable for me culturally though.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:16 PM

892 posts, read 1,592,249 times
East side sounds like a fit but I suspect there's areas to the south and east of Portland where you could find places - out towards Mollalla and the like.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:54 AM

32,632 posts, read 47,964,911 times
Tumalo is where the good horse farms are located.

Prineville is still cowboy country and has a cattle drive every year down the main streets of town. Country music is playing everywhere, including in a lot of the stores. I don't know of any live band bars with country music. Maybe you could open one.

John Day is cattle country, too. Lots of cattle out in Wagon Tyre but no people out there.

Old 10-03-2012, 02:03 PM

17,633 posts, read 22,624,498 times
Thar are many folks in the Rogue Valley, who have horses. Winter temps are usually warmer then eastern Oregon. You wood need to explore some spots to find the one you love.

The Rogue Valley Equestrian Trails Association - RVETA has been a fixture in the Equestrian Community of Southern Oregon for a very long time.

Grants Pass Oregon In Southern Rogue Valley

http://www.buylocalrogue.org/pdfs/TH...1_RF_GUIDE.pdf

Last edited by Hawk J; 10-03-2012 at 02:12 PM..

Old 10-03-2012, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Thar are many folks in the Rogue Valley, who have horses. Winter temps are usually warmer then eastern Oregon. You wood need to explore some spots to find the one you love.

The Rogue Valley Equestrian Trails Association - RVETA has been a fixture in the Equestrian Community of Southern Oregon for a very long time.

Grants Pass Oregon In Southern Rogue Valley

http://www.buylocalrogue.org/pdfs/TH...1_RF_GUIDE.pdf

Is this area you are talking about near Medford? Is the area around Medford suitable for the lifestyle I am looking for? Or is this a different place?

Old 10-03-2012, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Tumalo is where the good horse farms are located.

Prineville is still cowboy country and has a cattle drive every year down the main streets of town. Country music is playing everywhere, including in a lot of the stores. I don't know of any live band bars with country music. Maybe you could open one.

John Day is cattle country, too. Lots of cattle out in Wagon Tyre but no people out there.
Thanks for the info on Prineville! Looks really nice from what I have seen Online. Redmond maybe too. Is Bend still "country"? It looks as though, telling by the population stats, that it is being loved to death by transplants? is this the case with Bend? What kind of culture exists in and around Bend?

Old 10-03-2012, 06:45 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,685,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryway View Post
Thanks for the info on Prineville! Looks really nice from what I have seen Online. Redmond maybe too. Is Bend still "country"? It looks as though, telling by the population stats, that it is being loved to death by transplants? is this the case with Bend? What kind of culture exists in and around Bend?
Countryway, I frequent the Colorado forum as well, and I recall your post over there. As someone who is originally from the Denver area, has lived in Fort Collins, Fairplay, and Grand Junction, CO and now lives in Bend, I'll tell you Bend is not what you are looking for. I would actually compare Bend to Boulder or Durango in terms of culture. Sure, there are still some cowboys here and ranching is a part of life for some here. But, from what you've said you are looking for (both on this thread and the Colorado thread), I think you will not like Bend at all.

The suggestion of Prineville is good, although it's definitely more of a desert climate than I think you want (again remembering your post over on the Colorado thread). The Ochoco mountains are right there, but they are not big mountains at all (very much like the foothills). It's a very small town, but I think the country way of life is predominant.

I think the NE part of Oregon is probably your best bet in terms of finding the lifestyle you want coupled with mountains. Look at Pendleton, Baker City and even John Day. I would also consider Boise and the surrounding towns. It's very much a western/cowboy culture there.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:26 PM

5,456 posts, read 8,169,998 times
Delta07 is correct about Northeast Oregon probably being your best bet. The culture is almost exactly what you are looking for.

Not only that, much of it looks the part, especially the area shown on this map: Hells Canyon Scenic Byway - Map

Horses, cattle grazing, fields of alfalfa, always with mountains in the background.

Although it usually done with ATVs these days, sometimes you will still see cattle being rounded up by cowboys and cowgirls on horses.

I'm not sure about the opportunities for playing in country music bands, although that doesn't mean that they don't exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon