Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 12:37 AM

1,312 posts, read 6,469,173 times

Advertisements

We all want:

1. a great climate that isn't too hot, and isn't too cloudy and cold.
2. affordability and livability that hasn't been destroyed by overpopulation

The Reality Check:

Pick one...#1 or #2?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2006, 02:00 AM

1,845 posts, read 6,854,845 times
I have felt like Goldolocks sometimes. I've spent a lot of time this last year researching information about places that we may want to live in for our retirement years. No I haven't found a perfect place and I doubt if there is one.

We'll do some traveling this coming spring to check a few places but if we decide to move I think we'll settle for a place that will just be okay,not perfect. I do like it here but I'd like some more sun and warmth.
Oh well, you just can't have it all.

Old 09-29-2006, 07:54 AM

331 posts, read 1,850,682 times
Default Snowbirds

Hi Waterlily:

I have been giving this some thought for some time. There are tradeoffs no matter where you live. If weather is your #1 priority, then you are going to have to become a snowbird. You spring, summer, and fall in Oregon and winter in the deserts of California, Arizona, or Nevada. If you had to pick one spot, the best weather is probably here in San Diego County. The problem is you have to put up with LOTS of people and a whole host of things that you are not going to like. As you well know, Californians are not all that happy living in California. The whole East coast is humid. Once you are retired, you don't have to be stuck in the rain day after day. We intend to rent a furnished something or other in a different vacation spot each year for a couple of months. Palm Springs is a real nice place to live in the winter. There is plenty of things to do there and within a days drive plenty more places to visit including presidential libraries.

You live on the coast don't you? I do know you like where you live very much. One option you have is to winter somewhere else.

Lastly, you are of great help to others here on the Oregon forum. People posting do want to hear from people who know the area.

Dan

Old 09-29-2006, 09:24 AM

20 posts, read 133,375 times
Default Shasta valley, CA?

How about the the Shasta Valley in California? Anybody on this forum familiar with that area? (General area from Yreka in the north to Mt. Shasta in the south.)

Been looking at climatic data, etc, and talking to a few people that live in the area, and it looks not too bad to me.

Apparently you avoid the long, gloomy winters we are trying to escape in OR, with only a little bit colder winters. Generally a bit drier, maybe a bit hotter in summer (depending on where in the S. valley you go).

Anybody have thoughts/experience on this area?

Old 09-29-2006, 06:03 PM

291 posts, read 710,355 times
How about Lakeview, Oregon?

Old 09-29-2006, 06:34 PM

Thanks Clear2land for the suggestion and it is an idea worth consideration. I have a grown up child & grandkids in SoCal so it would be nice to go stay in the desert there for winter. I wouldn't want to stay in areas that are too crowded as I just don't like that much traffic. I wonder if there are furnished rentals for just 3 months use?

Grapeguy I have been by the Shasta area and it is nice. It's another place I'll be checking out. All I've ever done was get off the freeway and stop for lunch in the area. I'll need to take a better look around.

I have not been to Lakeview. I'm sure it's nice but the winters would involve more snow then I would like. However some people like snow sports so It's a good suggestion for those looking for an uncrowded place out of the gloom.

I just get 'cabin fever' during the winter months and I'd like to see the sun more often. We don't get snow here on the coast which is nice but the gloom is something else to deal with.

Old 09-29-2006, 08:47 PM

331 posts, read 1,850,682 times
Default Palm Springs Furnished Month to Month

Hi Waterlily:

If I had a choice of wintering in San Diego or Palm Springs I would pick Palm Springs and I currently live just north of San Diego in Escondido. They get less rain in winter and often times send some heat our way but most of the time they keep it for themselves. There is lot to do and you are two hours from San Diego. Just Google "Palm Springs Furnished Month to Month" and your screen will fill up with possibilities. Have you ever had a Date Milkshake from Shields?

Personally, I would like to live in the desert but I would have to leave in May and come back in October. If we move back to Oregon we will likely leave after Thanksgiving and return in March. It's six one and half dozen the other but I would prefer to make Oregon my home state. Based on your preference for more Sun in winter, an extended vacation is the way to go. My idea is to change our winter destination each year. We like Tucson and Phoenix equally well.

Dan

Old 03-10-2007, 12:01 AM

2 posts, read 8,000 times
Default Shasta County (Redding, CA)

Redding Ca is the county seat for Shasta County; lived ther in 1961-1963, before the big freeway came through (the big I-5). Just outside Redding is Shasta Lake, one of the premier house-boat centers in the country. Winters in Redding are very mild, nice Spring and Fall of course; and becaude of the dry climate, mosquitos are rarely seen. This is outdoor barbecue country. AppearsnCity has an active growth oriented optomistic outlook on things: a few years ago they covered over their main drage and converted it into a shopping center--the buildings have retained their original storefronts--alas, my favorite bar, the Clover Club was moved down the street. HOWEVER, a word on the summer heat--this place just burns up in the summer, get up to 115 degrees and stay there for a week. with very little cooling at night. Yes, this is a dry heat, but hot is hot and it was too muuch for me

Best Regards Sacramento Kid

s
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapeguy View Post
How about the the Shasta Valley in California? Anybody on this forum familiar with that area? (General area from Yreka in the north to Mt. Shasta in the south.)

Been looking at climatic data, etc, and talking to a few people that live in the area, and it looks not too bad to me.

Apparently you avoid the long, gloomy winters we are trying to escape in OR, with only a little bit colder winters. Generally a bit drier, maybe a bit hotter in summer (depending on where in the S. valley you go).

Anybody have thoughts/experience on this area?

Old 03-10-2007, 05:15 PM

Yes I'm in a let's go somewhere mood. Next month I'll Be going down toward Redding. It'll be good to get some sun. We will most likely stay somewhere outside of Redding.
After staying in that area a couple of days I' come on back to Oregon to check out some small towns in southern Oregon.

Old 03-12-2007, 03:02 PM

18 posts, read 87,600 times
We Live in Red Bluff, and it's a bit south of Shasta, but mostly from Redding on down, is extremely hot hot hot in the summer, and the PG&E bills are outrageous, also they haven't kept up with the rest of the state, so are having to pay for it in higher water/sewer bills, trash, etc....bills are too high for this area, since the jobs also stink, there are more in Redding, but the Shasta area is again a small area like Red Bluff, and so would be more retirement wise, area and it is prettier, but with snow and ice, I5 gets shut down a couple of times in the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon