Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 01:28 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,669,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
The last thing an escaped convict wants to do is hang out near a prison.

You may be hypersensitive. You are searching Oregon, try searching where you live now. You may be surprised at what you find.
The problem with prisons is that their families move next to the prison so they can visit more conveniently. Trust me, you don't want to live anywhere near a prison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2012, 02:26 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,326,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
The problem with prisons is that their families move next to the prison so they can visit more conveniently. Trust me, you don't want to live anywhere near a prison.
Like I wouldn't know. When I worked CB-6 at Florence Arizona, the convicts could look right in my window. Yes, the families live near the prisons because they mostly can't afford a car or transportation, but the OP is not about to move into one of the welfare neighborhoods where these families live. Living in Salem is not living near a prison unless you are in one of those near the commercial district, 1920's homes, or apartments, or live east of Lancaster towards Almsville.

Old 10-24-2012, 02:48 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,158,268 times
Since the o/p has specifically stated she is not (and never will be) interested in living near a prison, let's get back to providing her with actually useful information. She has eliminated Salem from her list of locations. Let's move on.

Old 10-24-2012, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
Since the o/p has specifically stated she is not (and never will be) interested in living near a prison, let's get back to providing her with actually useful information. She has eliminated Salem from her list of locations. Let's move on.

My PM's from the OP indicate otherwise. My post points out that the entire city of Salem is not near the prison. The bad areas are not any worse than say the tenderloin around the jail in Eugene from Skinners Butte to Chambers from the River to 8th street.

I am as far as I know the only experienced Prison poster on here, and I am a local resident. My posts are pertinent to the OP’s question, and are in rebuttal to any misconceptions she may have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katyia86 View Post
Honestly due to situations in my life, I am a bit hypersensitive to crime and I think all the things I'm hearing about crime in Oregon is getting to me..just want to find a safe little town..
Her concern says nothing about never living in Salem, it is Oregon in general. One of the safest states in the Union.

Old 10-24-2012, 03:09 PM

75 posts, read 160,126 times
Thanks for ALL your help. I do enjoy reading everyones take on it.

Everyone has different life experiences and i hate that I am so hypersensitive to crime. It does limit me at times, my stuff to work through i know.

Steve, the "issues" I mention that left me feeling this way, occurred not far from where I am now. I get your point exactly and its well noted. Sadly didnt have a choice in moving back here but i do have a choice where I go next.

Cant get little Newberg out of my head and heart, maybe thats telling me something.
And Ron, when i said I didn't want to get too close to Portland, going back to my insecurities, I was worried about crime trickling down to the newberg area over time. Sorry i didn't explain that well at all.

Kimballette, hubby asked me if these boards were moderated and could the opinions be trusted. I told him the information I have gotten here is invaluable and as long as Kimballette is in charge were good.
Thanks for keeping an eye on things

I really appreciate all of you for taking the time to help ppl like me.

Thanks!

Old 10-24-2012, 03:15 PM

Quote:
My PM's from the OP indicate otherwise. My post points out that the entire city of Salem is not near the prison. The bad areas are not any worse than say the tenderloin around the jail in Eugene from Skinners Butte to Chambers from the River to 8th street.

I am as far as I know the only experienced Prison poster on here, and I am a local resident. My posts are pertinent to the OP’s question, and are in rebuttal to any misconceptions she may have.

Her concern says nothing about never living in Salem, it is Oregon in general. One of the safest states in the Union.
Just to keep things happy & clarify, I do appreciate ALL of you and value your opinions.

Steve is right, he has been helping me in PM's and we have been looking at Salem up until last night when we got more information about the prisons. I am not keen on living in an area with prisons BUT we know ppl who lived there and LOVE Salem. For me it I don't think I can get past the prison issue but for them it is the greatest place. Still with that said, just to clarify we haven't completely ruled it out yet.

Were moving a long way and every avenue needs to be exhausted.

Thank you ALL again, You have no idea how much you are helping me. I know you don't get paid for this so its extra special that you would be so kind to help ppl.

Thanks again.

Old 10-24-2012, 03:18 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,158,268 times
Quote:
As I've previously stated, all opinions are welcome on City-Data. One does not have to be a "local resident" nor a "prison poster" to offer valuable input. Members can make their own judgments as to the value of posts on their own.

Now, let's get back to discussing the topic, please.

Old 10-24-2012, 03:21 PM

I really think you should go with Newburg knowing your needs and school requirements.

Old 10-24-2012, 03:28 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,353,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katyia86 View Post
Honestly due to situations in my life, I am a bit hypersensitive to crime and I think all the things I'm hearing about crime in Oregon is getting to me..just want to find a safe little town..
What are all the things you are hearing about crime in Oregon? Do we stand out in some way, based on your research?

Old 10-24-2012, 03:29 PM

Quote:
I really think you should go with Newburg knowing your needs and school requirements.
I am leaning that way Steve. Got a hold of a real estate agent today who was honest and it was a nice conversation.

I know my limitations and I think it would be the best bet for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon