Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 03:31 PM

182 posts, read 476,854 times

Advertisements

Nearby in Umatilla was a nice development on the hill off Pheasant ridge, it was a great place with view of the columbia, and nearby to the depot. The homes were modestly priced for 89,000 to 139,000 and they were brand new built.

The hospital in Hermiston isn't bad. My mother worked there for a while, and there is Pendleton to the east, and up north The Tri- Cities. Jobs for nurses are there. If you live and work in WA you don't get income tax, thats a good figure to add to the income taxes can be a good 9% here. You can shop in Oregon if it makes sense since no sales tax. I did that. I worked in Patterson, WA, lived in Plymouth, WA and shopped in Hermiston.

Bigger items are available in the tri-cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2008, 11:46 AM

45 posts, read 267,570 times
Wow- Hawaii to Hermiston. We live on the west side of Oregon, which looks nothing like the east side. I love the east side, but the Hermiston area has to be the ugliest part of the state, in my opinion. Much of the eastern half of Oregon is mountainous, or covered with rock, juniper, and sage, but the Hermiston area is flat, no trees and brown, brown, brown.

I also hear people mention Tri-Cities, Washington. It looks just like the Hermiston/Umatilla area. No beauty, in my opinion.

I wish I could give you better news. Oregon is a big, beautiful state, but that area is the one and only place devoid of any beauty.

Old 03-09-2008, 06:36 PM

1,058 posts, read 3,482,758 times
I copied my own post from another Hermiston thread.

Comparing Hermiston to Pendleton

From what I see online and what I hear from my relatives is that Hermiston is growing.
Lots of new homes at reasonable prices. Also, the weather is great - dry and sunny. It has some advantages over Pendleton in that its location is closer to the Tri-Cities about an hour away (airport and shopping mall) and of course it is a little closer to Portland (medical resources). Also, the Hermiston area is flatter than Pendleton. Remember Pendleton is in a big hole - there are very few flat lots. Also, the Columbia river, McNary Dam and Hat Rock State Park are close by for fishing and boating.

On the other hand there is a cultural divided. Even back in the early 90s when I lived out there people would call Hermiston "beaner town." Now that the Mexican poplation has grown have things changed? Probably not much.

I don't know what the schools are like there in Hermiston personally. Hermiston never had a great reputation, but that might be the reason for why the area is not growing even faster and why the homes are cheaper than in Pendleton. Problem is is that there is hardly any new construction in Pendleton while in Hermiston whole new subdivisions are going up.

I think at some point Hermiston is going to outgrow Pendleton in population and become the main city in Eastern Oregon given its location advantages. The area is attracting jobs and there are new homes going up. It would be a great place to live if the schools were better.

Old 03-09-2008, 07:15 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,637,580 times
Don't the homes come equip with a nerve gas alarm?

Old 05-30-2009, 12:55 PM

9 posts, read 27,021 times
Perhaps, but when was the last time they went off? And who gives you any warning of an earthquake?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon