Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 08:30 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,003,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
One of the deal breakers for me was that the Oregon measure lowered the age for legal pot smoking to 18. There is no way I would vote to allow high school seniors to legally purchase pot. The Washington law set the age at 21, like for alcohol consumption.
And just like alcohol minors will have zero problems getting it, hey just like before the election, imagine that...

Old 11-14-2012, 09:44 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,437,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
And just like alcohol minors will have zero problems getting it, hey just like before the election, imagine that...
Seriously, I don't smoke pot or do drugs at all, and never have. But even in high school as an introverted geek I knew where to score if I had really wanted too.

Old 11-14-2012, 12:48 PM

1,337 posts, read 3,277,968 times
Gotta agree with jimj and hamellr. Believe me, it was MUCH easier to get pot in my HS than alcohol.

Stores that sell alcohol have closing hours.

Old 11-14-2012, 12:51 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,517,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapetrich View Post
Gotta agree with jimj and hamellr. Believe me, it was MUCH easier to get pot in my HS than alcohol.

When I was in high school it was occasionally even easier to get than cigarettes. After all, you had kids who were basically in charge of both production and sales of the product already. No ID required...

Old 11-14-2012, 03:26 PM

32,636 posts, read 48,005,355 times
I am wondering just how the government thinks they are going to tax it when there already exists an entire industry of growing and selling clandestinely. Why would growers come out and pay huge taxes when they can already grow and sell without even paying income taxes on the money they earn.

Old 11-14-2012, 03:37 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,437,074 times
Well, I've said for years that if the "Government" (TM) can control these substances, guarantee a certain level of quality/purity, and back that up with enforcement, those who partake of these substances would gladly go down that route. Sure there will be some grown in back yards, made in garages, and sold directly but it'll totally gut the illegal industry and the major Cartels.

Look at how many Home Brewers there are. Large numbers of them have taken their hobby to a new level and opened up Brew Pubs - places the Government is now happily making money off of via taxes. That didn't happen during Prohibition, 100% of the sales were untaxed by the Government. I think the same will happen eventually.

Old 11-14-2012, 03:53 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,331,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
I'm curious how the feds can take jurisdiction in a matter not involving interstate commerce.

A State can not make or pass a law that contradicts Federal law.

Also the first Oregonian that crosses the state line and brings some back would bring the feds into the picture using your logic.

Old 11-14-2012, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I am wondering just how the government thinks they are going to tax it when there already exists an entire industry of growing and selling clandestinely. Why would growers come out and pay huge taxes when they can already grow and sell without even paying income taxes on the money they earn.
Less risk, less overhead, etc, etc.... The market takes care of these things. You know...that 'free market' we love to....love. Why buy pot elligally when you can get better stuff for cheaper yet pay a bit of tax on top without the risk. It's a no brainer. Supply and demand. No demand the supply goes dormant.

Like Hamller said, look at proabition. What incenified the even more established and outin the open black market to come out from the dark then?

Last edited by kapetrich; 11-14-2012 at 04:51 PM..

Old 11-14-2012, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
A State can not make or pass a law that contradicts Federal law.
Wrong. States can make and enforce any law they choose. Federal law supercedes State law, yes, but that doesn't mean 'states can't make or pass a law that contradicts federal law'.

Think back to the civil rights days. That or proabition. Interestingly, Oregon was one of the early states that made alcohol legal via state law while it still illegal federally.

Old 11-14-2012, 05:36 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,676,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapetrich View Post

Yeah, if you are going to let high school kids buy pot, you may as well stick with the current unregulated system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon