Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 08:33 PM

1 posts, read 2,503 times

Advertisements

After growing up on Oahu, Hawaii and choosing to settle in Oregon as an adult; I can say you can be very happy here. It is colder here in Oregon, but just as wet as parts of Hawaii. Think of it as a cold, rather than a tropical, rain forest; because that's what it is. I agree with earlier bloggers that Corvallis is your best bet. I lived in Portland; I found it too big for me. I lived in Eugene for 2 years, a very nice town; but I got sick of the constant feud with its "sister city" of Springfield. There is a complete lack of cooperation between the 2 cities. Things like taxi registration and library card privileges are not reciprocated; which cause constant irritations and inconveniences. I have now lived in Salem for the past 11 years. Salem is a very cosmopolitan city, lots of good ethnic restaurants, several colleges and tons of cultural opportunities. The main problem with Salem is that we have the State Hospital and State Prisons. Inmates get released then don't leave town; so we end up having more drugs and property crime than Corvallis or Eugene. Corvallis is a very nice college town; housing is more expensive than Salem because of the student population. But I think it is your best bet. Good Luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 03:22 PM

5 posts, read 13,013 times
check out Bend! 300 days of sunshine a year, and a handful of folks from Hawaai living here already. if your son, surfs, he'll be 4 hours from the coast however. and UO is about 2.5 hours from Bend.

Old 02-22-2017, 04:55 PM

1 posts, read 661 times
I visited Oregon last Christmas and it does get super cold, especially at night, but I had no problem with the weather. It's nice to experience something new once in a while. My fam and I are planning on moving from Maui to the mainland but still not sure where. My family is thinking about maybe Cal, Oregon, or Phoenix. Still not sure which place would be best, especially if I've lived almost my whole life in Maui. It's time for something new. Any suggestions?

Old 02-22-2017, 07:32 PM

861 posts, read 1,062,548 times
First, decide how close to the ocean you want to be.
Man, this is an old thread.

Last edited by wolfdog; 02-22-2017 at 07:34 PM.. Reason: clarity

Old 02-23-2017, 01:46 AM

15,419 posts, read 9,075,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmed7 View Post
I visited Oregon last Christmas and it does get super cold, especially at night, but I had no problem with the weather. It's nice to experience something new once in a while. My fam and I are planning on moving from Maui to the mainland but still not sure where. My family is thinking about maybe Cal, Oregon, or Phoenix. Still not sure which place would be best, especially if I've lived almost my whole life in Maui. It's time for something new. Any suggestions?
One good thing, if you visited this winter and had no problem with the weather, you should be OK in Oregon. I believe this is the coldest winter in quite some time. It probably won't get much colder here, then you have already experienced.

California, Oregon and Phoenix have quite different climates. What kind of climate do you want? Do you want to live near forests, or do you want to live in the desert? California would be the middle ground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon