Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2007, 02:23 PM

3 posts, read 6,844 times

Advertisements

HELLO!

I am a third year teacher with a masters looking to move to Portland from New Jersey. I teach 6th grade homeroom and 4,5 and 6th grade science.I've read many things about Oregon schools that now have me weary of making the move.

I grew up in Michigan and love the similar laid back attitude that Oregon has, with the added bonus of mountains and public transportation.I currently live in a very scenic part of NJ, but it's speed-to-stoplight mentality and high housing prices have lead my boyfriend and I to search for a move. My concerns about moving are:

1.Jobs- I'm wearing of finding a job in a school system that has more favorable reviews than the ones I've heard of Portland schools. Any suggestions for school systems near Portland that are progressive in education and equal in pay?

2. Cost of Living- though cost of living is lower than New Jersey, I've been told the economy right now in Oregon is not looking so great. I've been told you have to be stupid or lazy not to make it there, but I've also been told the small job market has resulted in too many overeducated waitresses/waiters.

Thank you for the help. From reading other posts, people have been so kind with their input.

Happy Halloween!
Diana
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2007, 10:34 AM

16 posts, read 99,077 times
For me Portland Oregon would be out, the amount of traffic, antiquated road system, and the amount of drivers with bad attitudes scatches this city off my list.

Southern Oregon is a much better place. Nice backroads, quiet areas, towns that seem to make sense. We've heard from teachers teaching in the highschools, they say we can tell who the kids are that come from the rural areas. they are usually much better behaved kids.

Grants Pass or Cottage Grove would, in my opinion be a much better area. Try to find a place at least one valley away from the 1-5 corridor.

Lastly, as you travel south on I-5 the traffic gets much better south of Eugene. Which can be an idication of better less crowded areas to live
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon