Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 05:22 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,699,012 times

Advertisements

I hate the blinding white HID lights. I call them a**hole lights. But the laws are not enforced, at least not where I live (Yamhill County). Fog lights don't bother me if they are pointed down at the road and not straight head. Correct me if I am work but I am pretty sure most new cars with fog lights and wired to turn on with the headlights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2014, 10:01 PM

85 posts, read 258,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottinpdx View Post
Correct me if I am work but I am pretty sure most new cars with fog lights and wired to turn on with the headlights.
A few (I can only think of 2 models) do, but I believe most people just turn them on with their headlights.

FWIW, I went on a ride-along with a state trooper recently & he pulled over several drivers just because they had their fogs on.

Old 01-21-2014, 02:24 PM

16 posts, read 28,945 times
What a nanny state. Is there any evidence that properly directed fog lights actually cause accidents? Or is this just another case of revenue gaming?

In a state full of fog and poorly marked lanes, the state bans fog lights. Pathetic.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:14 PM

780 posts, read 1,568,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortlandSux View Post
What a nanny state. Is there any evidence that properly directed fog lights actually cause accidents? Or is this just another case of revenue gaming?

In a state full of fog and poorly marked lanes, the state bans fog lights. Pathetic.
Reckless fog light drivers caused 300,000 accidents in 2011
Reckless fog light drivers caused 300,000 accidents in 2011 - Swiftcover Press Release

The above is a study from a British insurance group about this, although it doesn't mention whether they were properly or improperly installed.

From what I'm reading in the prior post about the OR Drivers Manual and other data, it appears that it's illegal to have the fog lights on (1) when they're improperly installed, (2) when it's not foggy, and/or (3) when a vehicle is approaching you. I would have to agree that those are all good times to keep them off. I've been working late at night a lot recently (year-end isn't fun), and often drive home along 205 w/other drivers who have their foggies or high beams on without a reason to.

As somewhat of a libertarian, I'm not very keen about an officer pulling someone over without darned good reason to, although I'm pretty sure #3 alone above would be enough to warrant a pullover to do a DUII check, despite it being a rather flimsy excuse. However, speaking as someone who's family has been fatally victimized by a DUII, I'm not sure how much I'd argue w/taking a drunk off the road like that.

Old 01-23-2014, 11:53 PM

934 posts, read 1,120,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderbygrace View Post
Too bad they can't ban those horribly bright, bluish lights. Oh my heavens, those are blinding!

Speaking of blinding, I was driving south down I-205 from Vancouver the other evening and was temporarily blinded by the MAX's top headlight pointed right at me. Jeesh...I know they are necessary for them to see ahead on the tracks, but wow those things are bright!! I'm surprised someone hasn't wrecked yet from those shining right at them on 205.

Isn't that the truth! Those blue lights are terribly blinding and I've wondered why they are legal myself.

Old 02-10-2015, 03:37 PM

2 posts, read 4,281 times
While most of my driving is in the darkness (early AM and again after sunset PM) I encounter many drivers (especially SUV's and Pickups) that have their fog lights on. I have flashed mine on and off to alert them and they ALL ignore my request to comply with turning them off. Why can't people be courteous anymore???

Old 02-12-2015, 09:16 AM

1 posts, read 2,182 times
Fog lights don't bother me....just HIDs do. I find police strobes to be the most dangerous while the are doing a traffic stop at night. I think they need to just use flashers or something other than all their strobes.

Old 02-13-2015, 05:50 PM

85 posts, read 258,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhawk05 View Post
While most of my driving is in the darkness (early AM and again after sunset PM) I encounter many drivers (especially SUV's and Pickups) that have their fog lights on. I have flashed mine on and off to alert them and they ALL ignore my request to comply with turning them off. Why can't people be courteous anymore???
I stop people and tell them it's illegal all of the time. 98% had no idea, the other 2% are just idiots.

Old 02-13-2015, 10:02 PM

780 posts, read 1,568,861 times
Another significant problem is the brightness of the police lights. Obviously, I understand they need to be reasonably bright for attention-sake, but oh wow, are they bright!

Old 02-25-2015, 08:04 AM

2 posts, read 4,281 times
My favorite word.........Idiots! Too many on the road - and oh those people that have forgotten that a YELLOW means "prepare to stop" NOT "prepare to run the red light"!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
View detailed profiles of: