Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2007, 03:47 PM

363 posts, read 1,120,268 times

Advertisements

My wife and I recently drove north from K-Falls along the east side of Klamath Lake. For several miles there are wires that look like utility lines but positioned between the highway and the railroad to resemble a rock screen-to keep boulders off the RR. But if they're a rock screen, there's no vertical ties between the poles.

The wires are mounted vertically and directly to the sides of the poles; from near the top to near ground level. If one were walking the wires are within reach-so I doubt they're electrical. However, they do look like they're attached to the poles with some sort of insulator.

Can anyone tell me whether the wires are electrical, telephone, or merely a rock screen?

Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2007, 04:13 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,822,371 times
Rock warning. Think of them as a low-voltage Christmas light string without the lights. When a rock comes down that somewhat sheer face to the east of 97 with enough force to snap the wires, it can either just trip a signal to warn an on-coming train or actually get relayed back to a station. This technology's been around since the 20s, I think, and it's called a slide fence.

If you ride the train, you can see that the separate telephone wires actually fell into the lake in a few places. They must not carry signal any more.

Old 10-23-2007, 07:46 PM

840 posts, read 6,514,886 times
When driving north on 97, are you talking about those poles that lean up against the RR on the left? If so, I've always thought they were electric wires to hook up areas north of Klamath Falls.

Old 10-23-2007, 08:07 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,822,371 times
There are two sets of poles - the ones that look like regular utility/telephone lines, which must be disconnected because some of them are actually IN the water and have been for quite some time, and the ones that look like a 15-20' tall fence, except there are only horizontal wires (parallel with the ground) - that's the slide fence right next to the RR, between Hwy 97 and the RR.

Old 10-24-2007, 11:50 AM

363 posts, read 1,120,268 times
Smile PNW Type Gal

Thanks for the answer. This will settle a dispute between my wife and I. The wife thought it was an electrical line, I thought it was a fence to stop falling rocks. Turns out we're both a bit right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon