Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 07:51 PM

17 posts, read 27,213 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My family and I are making the move from CA to OR. We have 3 kids (one 5, one 1, and one on the way), so we are looking for great family friendly areas, good schools, etc. Our price range is just around $1,000/ month to rent, and we are looking at 2 bedroom - 3 bedroom (with 3 bedrooms being more desirable). We'd prefer a house over apartment, but know that sometimes isn't possible with this budget. My husband and I both work at Trader Joe's, So will need to transfer to a store there and live within a 20 minute drive.

We've narrowed it down to 11 cities/areas and would love to narrow those down before we take a road trip up to visit possible locations ... Here they are:

Portland
Beaverton
Cottage Grove
Eugene
Bend
Redmond
Clackamas
Corvallis
Hillsboro
Tigard
Newberg

Any and all suggestions, tips, concerns, and opinions would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 09:42 PM

P.S. I know that my post is pretty redundant ... almost like every other "moving to oregon" post, but it really does help to have information specific to the situation. So thanks in advance for any replies : )

Old 03-19-2013, 12:20 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,336,622 times
First see where they have a transfer, than we can give a better picture.

Old 03-19-2013, 01:01 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
I am kind of confused by your post. Are you asking if there are Trader Joe's in these towns and if so where they are or are you asking if there are TJ's and if there is housing near them? In any case, the closer you get to Portland and its suburbs, all $1000 a month will get you is a studio, perhaps a one bedroom apartment.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:58 AM

2,318 posts, read 4,625,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwolf62307 View Post
Hello,

My family and I are making the move from CA to OR. We have 3 kids (one 5, one 1, and one on the way), so we are looking for great family friendly areas, good schools, etc. Our price range is just around $1,000/ month to rent, and we are looking at 2 bedroom - 3 bedroom (with 3 bedrooms being more desirable). We'd prefer a house over apartment, but know that sometimes isn't possible with this budget. My husband and I both work at Trader Joe's, So will need to transfer to a store there and live within a 20 minute drive.

We've narrowed it down to 11 cities/areas and would love to narrow those down before we take a road trip up to visit possible locations ... Here they are:

Portland
Beaverton
Cottage Grove
Eugene
Bend
Redmond
Clackamas
Corvallis
Hillsboro
Tigard
Newberg

Any and all suggestions, tips, concerns, and opinions would be greatly appreciated!
Start by grouping these by geography:

Portland Metro Area:
Portland - Beaverton - Clackamas - Hillsboro - Tigard - Newberg (technically outside Portland Metro but on the fringe)

Eugene Area:
Eugene - Cottage Grove

Bend - Redmond

Corvallis

So really you're looking at 4 areas (5 if you think of Newberg as being it's own area, which most do). So if you're planning on what to check out when you visit and you're limited on time, you can get a good feel for all of the Portland Metro areas in a long day. Take another day to travel from Portland through Newberg to Corvallis (about 80-85 miles). Then on to Eugene and Cottage Grove (about another 45 miles from Corvallis to Eugene, and another 15-20 to Cottage Grove).

Bend-Redmond is really the only more remote-ish destination on your list. It's also the most different from the other areas as central Oregon (Bend-Redmond) is more desert-like because of the Cascade Mountains rainshadow effect. Western Oregon (everything else) is green and lush and wet.

That's it for generalities. Do a search for each of the city names and you will get a LOT of additional information.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:34 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,828,163 times
There is also a Trader Joe's in Medford, your other option for being out of the lush but rainy and often cloudy (in winter) Willamette Valley.

You need to decide what kind of area you want to be in, as far as metro area, suburbs, city, town, rural.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:50 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,440,203 times
I think you need to find which store has two transfers available first. That's going to narrow down your choices significantly.

Either way, $1000/month is going to be a tight in the Portland area. It's doable out in Beaverton, (TJ is by 217) but still going to be an apartment not a house.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:37 AM

1,620 posts, read 2,300,641 times
Living in Tigard would put you about 20 minutes too stores #141 and #142. We almost moved here Your Own "little house" in a Peaceful, Friendly Community! but my much smarter wife nixed the 1 bath idea. All the 3 bedroom units have only one wall connected to the other units with no one above. (As pictured) They are small and dated but certainly livable for such a low price.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
First see where they have a transfer, than we can give a better picture.

We are moving in December, so it's hard to tell where there will be a transfer at that time. We want to narrow it down to a few stores and maybe a back up or 2 before we find out the transfer availability. of course, we won't move until we've got jobs locked in.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I am kind of confused by your post. Are you asking if there are Trader Joe's in these towns and if so where they are or are you asking if there are TJ's and if there is housing near them? In any case, the closer you get to Portland and its suburbs, all $1000 a month will get you is a studio, perhaps a one bedroom apartment.

We know which cities have TJs in them ... I guess the main reason for the post is to see if we should eliminate any cities/areas from our list ... I'm just looking for information on the areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon