Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2013, 07:50 AM

5 posts, read 10,469 times

Advertisements

Curious about Oregon. I'm 20 and more than likely wouldn't be moving until I'm 23-24 (school). But I want to start feeling things out now so by then I can be confident in deciding where to try out.

I'd like to be at most, a few hours from the coast. Looking at google maps, somewhere between Eugene and Portland would seem a likely destination for me.

- Do the cities vary much in terms of living expenses? Any particular towns or cities I should steer clear from?

- Is city traffic brutal or bearable?

- I know Oregon gets a lot of rain, which I'm fine with. But how about the winter, is there a lot of snow? I can deal with a few showers, but I'm sick of several feet every year (from New England). Are the summers mild?

Any recommendations on what towns or cities I should consider would be greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 10:43 AM

1,082 posts, read 1,903,929 times
the answer to those questions depends on where you end up and how close your home and job are to each other. Potential employment is what will help you narrow down your choices. There are more job options in bigger cities, but with that come more expenses and traffic. That said, the hustle and bustle here is not as intense as the east coast big cities and the traffic is generally not as crazy. Oregon drivers tend to be really nice...check out the "No, you go" Portlandia skit...it's not too far off.

For my family, we have to stick to larger metro areas to have employment. There would be few options for my husband outside of Portland/Beaverton...I'm in academia so anywhere with a college typically has jobs for my kind.

We are moving from SW Portland to Forest Grove in May and that will bring more commute mileage, but less housing cost and almost the same commute time. Less traffic. Same climate. Very little snow (melted within half a day). An hour from the coast

You are asking very good questions. The next few years for you are big ones as far as change goes, so your priorities may change also. Do you know what you want to do after school?

Old 03-19-2013, 10:54 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,391,001 times
[quote=DC3893;28732796
I'd like to be at most, a few hours from the coast. Looking at google maps, somewhere between Eugene and Portland would seem a likely destination for me.

[/QUOTE]

Your options are actually more along the lines of Portland OR Eugene, not somewhere in between. That's where the jobs are.

Generally, Western side of Oregon is mild summers, wet fall/winter/spring. East side of Oregon is warm and dry summers, mild fall/snow in winter/wet spring. It's hard to narrow it down from there as Oregon has seven distinctive climate zones that are actually pretty diverse.

Old 03-19-2013, 12:33 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,263,004 times
With the split days many students have these days, you need to choose your school first as you will want to be near school.

Old 03-19-2013, 03:38 PM

5 posts, read 10,469 times
Thanks for the replies.

I'm actually going to school here in Mass, BS in environmental science is the plan. I haven't really focused in on a particular career choice yet.

Old 03-19-2013, 03:48 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,263,004 times
You need to do that to choose a school. Then ask your question again.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:04 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,143,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC3893 View Post
Thanks for the replies.

I'm actually going to school here in Mass, BS in environmental science is the plan. I haven't really focused in on a particular career choice yet.
After you finish your BS there in MA, you might want to check out state government opportunities in Oregon. When I worked on a two-year contract for Fish and Wildlife in CA, there were opportunities all over the state in both F&W (then called Fish and Game), Department of Forestry, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon