Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2013, 12:51 PM

161 posts, read 386,402 times

Advertisements

I'm looking into moving to Oregon but not sure I can handle the rain. Are there any cities in Oregon that have nice weather most of the year?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 02:51 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,605,596 times
Need more specific weather criteria.

Old 04-03-2013, 02:56 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,391,837 times
Assuming "Nice" means 50-70 degrees,year round and at least 2/3rd of days are partially cloudy at the worse.

Then no, nothing in Oregon has nice Weather.

Old 04-03-2013, 04:49 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,264,225 times
Being a Florida resident you are not going to like Oregon. Didn't you live in Alaska too?

Old 04-03-2013, 08:41 PM

541 posts, read 1,721,880 times
Well there are several options actually. The further south or east you go in Oregon, the sunnier. Oregon is certainly warmer and has more sun then it's northern neighbor Washington.

Eastern Oregon, especially Bend is known for sunnier weather then Portland. But you also get those cold snaps in the winter. If you want truly hot and dry, look towards the Idaho border or down by the Nevada border... theres not much there jobs wise, but it is warmer. Look at Ontario which is sort of commuting distance and close to jobs in Boise. Also take a peak at The Dalles, Hermiston, and Pendleton, which are considerably warmer then western Oregon.

The Rogue River area of Oregon is also considerably warmer, drier, and less cold. Look around Medford which can easily see 70s in late fall and early spring.... even 80s.

Now if you want truly hotter, drier weather with actual job opportunities, I would have to say look at the Tri-Cities in Washington, or Yakima. Yakima is in fact the "Palm Springs of the Northwest" as they say. There is also a lot built up around these areas for services, shopping, and just overall living. Winters can be cold but drier in this area, but summers, especially in the Tri-Cities region can get real hot.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:55 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,143,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWbyNW View Post
Yakima is in fact the "Palm Springs of the Northwest" as they say. There is also a lot built up around these areas for services, shopping, and just overall living. Winters can be cold but drier in this area, but summers, especially in the Tri-Cities region can get real hot.
Yakima weather isn't similar to that of Palm Springs at all, and I don't know why anyone would say that (not to mention that Yakima isn't the most attractive place to live). The average high temperature is 20 degrees hotter in Palm Springs during the summer and 30 degrees warmer during the winter.

Climatology Comparison for Yakima, WA - weather.com

Old 04-03-2013, 10:56 PM

32,512 posts, read 47,530,478 times
Nope.

Try San Diego.

Old 04-03-2013, 11:25 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,332,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbrwr View Post
I'm looking into moving to Oregon but not sure I can handle the rain. Are there any cities in Oregon that have nice weather most of the year?
You really have to say what you think nice is. To me, nice is without much sun because I dislike a lot of sunshine. Many people who live in many parts of Oregon feel this way like those who live along the coast maybe or western Oregon because there is not an abundance of sunshine. Eastern Oregon will have more sun.

But nice to me is a nice, overcast, cloudy day. What's your defintion? And most of the year? How long would that be for? It sounds as if you are looking for Florida weather and no, there is nothing like that here.

Old 04-04-2013, 10:00 AM

541 posts, read 1,721,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
Yakima weather isn't similar to that of Palm Springs at all, and I don't know why anyone would say that (not to mention that Yakima isn't the most attractive place to live). The average high temperature is 20 degrees hotter in Palm Springs during the summer and 30 degrees warmer during the winter.

Climatology Comparison for Yakima, WA - weather.com
I wouldn't want to live there, but that is what billboards around the city say. They claim to be the Palm Springs of the Northwest. Hence I said what I said. I'm just throwing out options, since they want warmer weather. But there are many other better places then Yakima, just like there are better places then The Dalles and Hermiston.

Old 04-04-2013, 10:13 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,749,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWbyNW View Post
I wouldn't want to live there, but that is what billboards around the city say. They claim to be the Palm Springs of the Northwest. Hence I said what I said. I'm just throwing out options, since they want warmer weather. But there are many other better places then Yakima, just like there are better places then The Dalles and Hermiston.
Chambers of Commerce like to claim lots of things - my local one claims "300 days of sun" - which is off by almost 1/3.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon