U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-04-2013, 03:48 PM

5 posts, read 5,070 times

Advertisements

We are considering moving from AK to OR after thirty too many cold, dark winters. We think we'd like Eugene/Springfield, Albany, or Corvallis, but we've not decided and of course it depends on securing a job (medical field). We both have a very difficult time with the long, dark winters in AK. So my question is- do you think the rain in the winter in the valley would have similar effects? Is the rain so bad that people tend to get seasonal affective disorder or feel housebound?

Also- Portland area looks interesting, but housing prices and rent seems high. Is this a generally more expensive area? Are there more affordable areas near there that are good areas to raise kids?

Thanks for any info you have to offer!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 05:24 PM

7,925 posts, read 6,632,860 times
Job first, move second or it could get just as cold in Oregon and make for a really long winter.

You say medical field. Medical field what? Nursing, Lab, Pharmacy, Doctors? Some we need, others not hiring in most places.

I don't think Portland is any more expensive than any place else. And you have more selection.

Old 04-04-2013, 06:08 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,265,297 times
People do get SAD in the Willamette Valley, but the only people who feel housebound are those who melt if water touches them, like the Wicked Witch of the West.

My guess is that coming from Alaska, you'll find our winters sunny and warm by comparison.

Steve's right that the move will go a lot better if you have a job lined up first. There have been some recent threads in the Portland forum where nurses discuss the job situation here; they'll probably have useful information even if you aren't nurses.

Old 04-06-2013, 11:51 PM

Yes, agreed- definitely would not be willing or able to move unless a job was lined up first. Would be lab work. Those jobs can be few and far between, but we've seen a few job posts around the state. After some discussion, we decided we would probably stick near Corvallis due to interest in furthering education at OSU. Portland was another possibility due to the universities there, but rental rates just seem high and the commutes longer (esp with traffic?). Housing costs, according to what I'm finding online, seem much more affordable in and around Albany. Is this the case? But- I'm also seeing kind of run down homes. We'd be looking for a modest single family home to rent in a family friendly area within a short commute to Corvallis. Is Albany the way to go? Or somewhere else?

Thanks for the SAD info. We don't melt in the rain, so we plan to enjoy some outside time. Besides that, you don't have to shovel rain. I'm guessing it won't be so bad at all. Mostly craving GREEN!

Old 04-07-2013, 01:03 AM

13,596 posts, read 10,666,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalDuck View Post
We are considering moving from AK to OR after thirty too many cold, dark winters. We think we'd like Eugene/Springfield, Albany, or Corvallis, but we've not decided and of course it depends on securing a job (medical field). We both have a very difficult time with the long, dark winters in AK. So my question is- do you think the rain in the winter in the valley would have similar effects? Is the rain so bad that people tend to get seasonal affective disorder or feel housebound?

Also- Portland area looks interesting, but housing prices and rent seems high. Is this a generally more expensive area? Are there more affordable areas near there that are good areas to raise kids?

Thanks for any info you have to offer!
Rain does not cause SAD. It does not keep people indoors. It's the overcast skies that cause it and the lack of sunlight it brings. SAD doesn't make any difference as to whether or not you are indoors or out. People really don't understand this disease until they are inclined to have it. I suggest that you seek actual medical information and advice on it since you already experience some difficutly where you are now. There are remedies for it that do work for some people if they discover they have it.

Old 04-07-2013, 10:01 AM

1,366 posts, read 1,951,682 times
Quote:
Yes, agreed- definitely would not be willing or able to move unless a job was lined up first. Would be lab work. Those jobs can be few and far between, but we've seen a few job posts around the state. After some discussion, we decided we would probably stick near Corvallis due to interest in furthering education at OSU. Portland was another possibility due to the universities there, but rental rates just seem high and the commutes longer (esp with traffic?). Housing costs, according to what I'm finding online, seem much more affordable in and around Albany. Is this the case? But- I'm also seeing kind of run down homes. We'd be looking for a modest single family home to rent in a family friendly area within a short commute to Corvallis. Is Albany the way to go? Or somewhere else?

Thanks for the SAD info. We don't melt in the rain, so we plan to enjoy some outside time. Besides that, you don't have to shovel rain. I'm guessing it won't be so bad at all. Mostly craving GREEN!
Albany is a less expensive alternative to living in Corvallis, and can be a pretty easy commute, but it's all about location in Albany--do your homework. You may also want to check out Philomath to the west and Adair Village to the north.

If you want to cast a wider net and don't mind a longer commute, Monmouth is still further north from Adair, or Lebanon is further east from Albany.

Old 04-07-2013, 04:37 PM

10,993 posts, read 18,889,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Rain does not cause SAD. It does not keep people indoors. It's the overcast skies that cause it and the lack of sunlight it brings.
Agree. I know some locals that take Vitamin D supplements to help with their SAD. They say it is helpful and of course there is light therapy, Melatonin, et al.

OP I also strongly encourage you to look at the natural light in your home rental before you rent. I am always amazed that homes get built with very poor natural light here when most people really need it to get through the winter gray. So if you are looking at rentals and they have all the lights on, turn them off so you can see what kind of light the house will let in naturally.

Old 04-15-2013, 03:12 PM

Thanks for the suggestions! We will look into Philomath and Adair Village, too. I'm pretty familiar with SAD- it is the long winters up here that get to me when our days are severely shortened of sunlight hours for months on end. I had heard that some people were affected by "the weather" there, and thought that their SAD issues might come from staying indoors too often and not getting enough UV exposure. Sounds like the rain is not so bad that people can't enjoy the outdoors if they have a mind to, so that's a plus. We'll be sure to pack our vitamin D and raincoats. Thank you!

Old 04-15-2013, 08:54 PM

13,596 posts, read 10,666,963 times
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions! We will look into Philomath and Adair Village, too. I'm pretty familiar with SAD- it is the long winters up here that get to me when our days are severely shortened of sunlight hours for months on end. I had heard that some people were affected by "the weather" there, and thought that their SAD issues might come from staying indoors too often and not getting enough UV exposure. Sounds like the rain is not so bad that people can't enjoy the outdoors if they have a mind to, so that's a plus. We'll be sure to pack our vitamin D and raincoats. Thank you!
People can get SAD even if they go outside everyday if there isn't enough sun for them. But since you are okay with the long Alaskan winters, the Oregon winters in those areas you mentioned will probably not be a problem for you.

Old 04-16-2013, 11:10 AM

251 posts, read 236,135 times
The Willamette Valley is better for winters in Alaska. Corvallis I would say would get the most rain so take that in consideration. If you want better weather have you thought of Medford and Grants Pass? They have a growing medical field and weather is much warmer than the rest of the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon