Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 12:57 PM

49 posts, read 98,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
10,000 sq feet is a huge lot in this area. Only the older neighborhoods will have lots of that size. UGB's were created with senate bill 100 in 1976ish so you'd be looking at homes older than that for larger lots.

Portland prices are steep as are most larger metros.
I don't think that would really be a problem for me. My girlfriend and I actually tend to like older houses (pre-1960's), so I think that we'd be quite satisfied with having an older property in exchange for more land. 10,000 is really just an ideal, but we'd be willing to settle for something that was only around 6,000 as long as it was on a nice piece of land.

The price might be an issue, though. We're working within a budget of between 200-250k and I know that's not going to get you a palace by any means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2013, 01:15 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,336,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly1989 View Post
I don't expect a special class, as I keep to myself in my daily life and try to avoid attracting attention.

I am expecting to avoid, in the place that I am considering a move to, having a repeat of the multiple instances of people trying to beat the hell out of me because of who I am. I think that's a valid desire.
Well knowing how Bobby Eads was treated in Georgia and Florida, and with you being in Tennessee and having lived their many years myself, I understand, but .... Have you considered it may be you and not your lifestyle that makes you the target of the beatings?

Old 07-13-2013, 10:09 PM

17 posts, read 20,919 times
These responses and the ones I got on my other 2 threads leads me to believe that Silverton is the wrong choice for us as a gay couple even thought it matches with the other 7 things we need in a town, while we are not overly flamboyant, in fact my partner is a football and baseball fanatic who you wouldn't even guess was Gay....

Need to keep looking around I guess, I know that Corvallis, Salem and Eugene would be good choices for you Holly, I am from Oregon so I know these places quite well but if you are like us and not comfortable in a CITY than these are bad choices, Portland is too big for us and we just arent drawn to it spiritually and thats an important factor for us.

Gresham is nice but not sure if its gay/Trans friendly or not, Astoria Oregon is a GREAT place but again not sure of its friendliness....

SIGH

Old 07-14-2013, 01:27 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMitchell74 View Post
These responses and the ones I got on my other 2 threads leads me to believe that Silverton is the wrong choice for us as a gay couple even thought it matches with the other 7 things we need in a town, while we are not overly flamboyant, in fact my partner is a football and baseball fanatic who you wouldn't even guess was Gay....

Need to keep looking around I guess, I know that Corvallis, Salem and Eugene would be good choices for you Holly, I am from Oregon so I know these places quite well but if you are like us and not comfortable in a CITY than these are bad choices, Portland is too big for us and we just arent drawn to it spiritually and thats an important factor for us.

Gresham is nice but not sure if its gay/Trans friendly or not, Astoria Oregon is a GREAT place but again not sure of its friendliness....

SIGH
Sigh is right. You really have no idea... I came back to this thread to tell Holly that I was in no way disuading her from Hillsboro as a choice. Just because my experience there hasn't been all I hoped does not in any way mean that she would find a similar lack of sympatico. And as for you and yours... define "gay friendly". Not sure if Gresham is gay friednly or not? I can tell you... it isn't. Astoria... nope! Hillsboro? Negatory. I can tell you however that all these places have gay people living... thriving in them. There is no such thing as "gay friendly" on planet earth in the 21st Centruy. The best you can possibly hope for is gay "tolerant". Not even gay "accepting". Just gay tolerant. If I needed to live where I was "accepted" I'd really be in a pickle because my partner is of a different race and there really isn't anywhere in the 21st Century in America that is completely accepting of mixed race pairings. You scoff, but even the most liberal of people who have absolutley no issue with mixed race couples in theory draw the line at actually renting a house or apartment to the person of the race that is different from theirs. In NYC this meant my sweetie had to live in the 'hood with me. That was pretty interesting. In Hillsboro, it means we live in the poor white section of town even though we can afford better. In fact, the only reason we even live here is because my job gave me contact with my landlord's father. He (the landlord) refused our application at first, before he knew of the connection. I am simply not understanding why it is anyone's business that your relationship is a gay one. Unless you're also black, no one really cares. Honest. It is a non-issue! Landlords love gay tenants. Forest Grove, a really tiny town, west of Hillsboro has a gay UCC church. Scads of gays and lesbians worship there every Sunday and many live there as well. Both of you guys and Holly too, could do a whole lot worse than Forest Grove!! Check it out. But really, anywhere you wanted to go within reason would be a non-issue from a "what are people going to say" standpoint.

H

Old 07-14-2013, 12:52 PM

49 posts, read 98,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Sigh is right. You really have no idea... I came back to this thread to tell Holly that I was in no way disuading her from Hillsboro as a choice. Just because my experience there hasn't been all I hoped does not in any way mean that she would find a similar lack of sympatico. And as for you and yours... define "gay friendly". Not sure if Gresham is gay friednly or not? I can tell you... it isn't. Astoria... nope! Hillsboro? Negatory. I can tell you however that all these places have gay people living... thriving in them. There is no such thing as "gay friendly" on planet earth in the 21st Centruy. The best you can possibly hope for is gay "tolerant". Not even gay "accepting". Just gay tolerant. If I needed to live where I was "accepted" I'd really be in a pickle because my partner is of a different race and there really isn't anywhere in the 21st Century in America that is completely accepting of mixed race pairings. You scoff, but even the most liberal of people who have absolutley no issue with mixed race couples in theory draw the line at actually renting a house or apartment to the person of the race that is different from theirs. In NYC this meant my sweetie had to live in the 'hood with me. That was pretty interesting. In Hillsboro, it means we live in the poor white section of town even though we can afford better. In fact, the only reason we even live here is because my job gave me contact with my landlord's father. He (the landlord) refused our application at first, before he knew of the connection. I am simply not understanding why it is anyone's business that your relationship is a gay one. Unless you're also black, no one really cares. Honest. It is a non-issue! Landlords love gay tenants. Forest Grove, a really tiny town, west of Hillsboro has a gay UCC church. Scads of gays and lesbians worship there every Sunday and many live there as well. Both of you guys and Holly too, could do a whole lot worse than Forest Grove!! Check it out. But really, anywhere you wanted to go within reason would be a non-issue from a "what are people going to say" standpoint.

H
I think that I see your point now. I have been interested in Hillsboro due to the lower home prices and larger lots, so it is good to hear that at least some of the area is friendly enough. I am really not looking for "acceptance", as I know that a trans person isn't going to find that anywhere, but merely tolerance and maybe people who will smile and acknowledge my presence when I enter a business or meet someone new. That's really all that I ask for.

Forest Grove kind of reminds me of the environment that I'm used to here in Tennessee, just in terms of appearance. It actually seems pretty nice, though maybe a bit out of the way if I would be commuting to Portland for work. Hillsboro is a tiny bit closer (and seems to have far more amenities) and that does make a difference.

Are there any areas of Hillsboro that you would suggest avoiding? The crime rate seems incredibly low from the statistics I'm reading, but I just wanted to be sure.

Old 07-16-2013, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
I will never understand what gender or sexual orientation has to do with anything unless you are using your Gaydar to seek out like minded individuals in the forum. Why would you ask for equality, but expect a special class?
What special class is it that you think we want?

we want EQUAL rights, the same as you have, the right to marry and be divorced 6 times, the right to adopt children and the right to walk down the street without being beaten because we look gay or are even holding hands, the same rights straight people have, we are not asking for any SPECIAL considerations to be who we are.

Old 07-16-2013, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post

H
Vegas is gay friendly.

We are openly ourselves here, in fact I am in an alternate religion and no one seems to care, my neighbors are Christians, they know I am Gay and they know of my beliefs and they smile and are friendly and do not judge.

I have never been attacked here for being Gay nor has my partner. We go into restaurants and bars and no one attacks us there. so I guess Vegas doesnt exist by your standards.

Portland is not Gay friendly? San Francisco? Are you sure? You are telling me If I walk down a street in SF with boa feathers on my neck that I will be attacked? I could be sure but that is not what I am saying, I am saying is it likely? I dont think you want us around so you are just saying things to deter us from coming there but I know my homestate a little better than that and as I said I have friends and an ex in Portland, ashland and eugene and know that these are gay friendly places, I also know Corvallis is gay friendly.

But whatever, I am done with these threads, we will just come there and be ourselves and see if we are shot at. No big deal.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:33 AM

15,577 posts, read 40,434,848 times
TMitchell, We have a lot of Atheists and Agnostics here. Generally people won't care about your religion or lack of it. Holly1989 you and TMitchell are asking a different question than the people on the forum are answering. You seem to be talking about LGBT friendly from a place of not getting assaulted and such. I don't think anyone in Silverton is going to do that. I mean in Gresham a store refused to make a cake for a same sex couple. Discrimination is everywhere but that is different than having someone assault you.

How Stu dresses gets comments. (People don't like his taste in women's clothes and say he needs to get a stylist or something) I do think you can expect some looks and maybe some comments, but I don't think anyone would physically harm you. I don't consider it gay friendly to have people call you names so from where I sit, no where outside of Portland proper can you expect that. All of the small cities will likely have a more redneck/fundamentalist contingent. That's all Leisesturm is trying to say.

Assaults. Highly unlikely. Nasty looks/comments. Maybe. Oh and just so both of you are aware, sexual orientation is a protected class in the State of Oregon.

Leisesturm you know that in 2011 Portland bombed a fair housing audit? The fair housing council was asked to do a fair housing test by the city to see what issues needed to be worked on up there. It was a voluntary audit. Ashland and Beaverton didn't fare well either.

Old 07-16-2013, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMitchell74 View Post
Vegas is gay friendly.

We are openly ourselves here, in fact I am in an alternate religion and no one seems to care, my neighbors are Christians, they know I am Gay and they know of my beliefs and they smile and are friendly and do not judge.

I have never been attacked here for being Gay nor has my partner. We go into restaurants and bars and no one attacks us there. so I guess Vegas doesnt exist by your standards.

Portland is not Gay friendly? San Francisco? Are you sure? You are telling me If I walk down a street in SF with boa feathers on my neck that I will be attacked? I could be sure but that is not what I am saying, I am saying is it likely? I dont think you want us around so you are just saying things to deter us from coming there but I know my homestate a little better than that and as I said I have friends and an ex in Portland, ashland and eugene and know that these are gay friendly places, I also know Corvallis is gay friendly.

But whatever, I am done with these threads, we will just come there and be ourselves and see if we are shot at. No big deal.
Now you are being ridiculous. If Gay Freaking Friendly is so important to you maybe you should simply stay put in Las Vegas and call it good? Why do you want to roll the rock uphill and take your chances of being shot at? A person can get killed that way. Clearly you and the rest of the forum have different standards re: gay freaking friendly. Mine are pretty high. A hotel that isn't pet friendly simply isn't going to work if you have a mid sized Schnauzer on vacation with you. You need more than acceptance, you need welcome! Elsewhere.... like on the streets around the hotel you only need acceptance. You at least need that acceptance because, in the end, it really doesn't matter if that hotel is pet friendly or not if you or your pet are assaulted trying to get to its front door. Portland is not gay friendly, it is gay tolerant, gay accepting, within the city limits will be establishments and organizations that are gay friendly. I don't live in Portland. I am not invested in whether you go there or not. You're silly to even think that.

H

Old 07-16-2013, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Leisesturm you know that in 2011 Portland bombed a fair housing audit? The fair housing council was asked to do a fair housing test by the city to see what issues needed to be worked on up there. It was a voluntary audit. Ashland and Beaverton didn't fare well either.
I do know and linked the very same story, just yesterday, in a thread in the Portland forum about race issues.

H
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon