Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 11:34 PM

32,638 posts, read 48,015,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
They do vary. We have 2,400 sq ft 4 bed 2 bath with acreage which we paid $56,000 plus another $45,000 to rehab.
And it wasn't purchased in 2013. I very much doubt that Steve would sell it to you for the $101,000 that he invested in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 12:44 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,333,043 times
No, I bought it in 2011.

We have currently 15 homes with acreage for under $130,000 in the Dallas area. Some of them newer from the 1980's

Old 07-25-2013, 02:31 AM

5 posts, read 6,142 times
I live in McMinnville about an hour from Portland... 45 min. to the coast. It is a great little town. Look it up. My husband wants to move to Idaho to be closer to family and better hunting and we are getting ready to sell our farm within the year.... 10 acres. $350k range. There aren't a whole lot of farm lots available, but most rentals are in the $1k range.

Old 08-09-2013, 03:42 PM

1 posts, read 814 times
Hi Divey, I just wanted to chime in as a person who grew up in San Diego and currently lives in Oregon. As others have mentioned, most would love to trade places with you, myself included. I would love to have a half acre in Ramona! My parents are retired and living in the inland empire down there in Riverside County. They are dealing with some health issues and struggling on their limited income, and we have had to think long and hard about whether or not to move back down there to be nearer to them. After much research, comparing and contrasting, we have come to the conclusion that the quality of life we have here in Oregon is better. We really want to be closer to my parents, so we are hoping they will make the move up here to join us. The main difference in cost of living is definitely the cost of housing. Depending on where you want to live up here, you can easily get a 3 bedroom on a half acre for under $250,000. This I know because we are actively looking here in the central Willamette Valley. I know what you mean when you say it is time for a change. We too are looking to get more out of life: less money spent on material things like a home and cars and the newest gadgets and instead prefer to spend our money on trips and outings and giving our young children experiences that will stay with them forever. I really get what you are trying to do, honestly. Oregon is wonderful and having family close by seems like it would be a bonus (depends on your relationship with you family! ha ha). I get why you want to move here. My suggestion would be to do a little research online and determine some areas, then come on up for a visit and see how it feels. I would also repeat what others have said, that if you can get a job before moving, it will certainly make a huge difference. Lastly, it will be what you make of it. You can choose to be happy where you are or just deal with it, or you can choose to take a risk and move closer to your dreams and accept whatever comes along with taking that chance. I hope things fall into place for you! Let me know if you want to sell that place in Ramona for cheap! ha ha

Old 08-20-2013, 08:42 AM

7 posts, read 5,126 times
Divey

I too would have to agree with CarrieSoVery. I grew up in So Cal as well…moved away around the mid 90’s and lived in Oregon for several years. LOVED IT. The sense I get from your posts are that you are looking for a change….not just in location…but in a way of life. You want to bring your kids up a certain way…you want to be able to stop and experience life….in a different way from what San Diego has to offer. As the saying goes…the grass is greener. But….sometimes…..the saying is true. It depends on the person….and perspective. I’m back in Los Angeles now….and not a day goes by over the past 10 yrs since my return that I don’t miss living up north. My family is hear….and perhaps I had hopes that they’d fall I love with the lifestyle of the Northwest and follow me. they didn’t. and they never would. Here they have the sun…the beach….Hollywood….too many sports teams to keep up with….shopping ….restaurants….convenience. You don’t get that living in Oregon. Not in the same way. But again…it’s what you, as an individual, want in your heart. I could care less about all the stuff I’ve just mentioned. I want less congestion…I want friendly people…I want rainy days….i want to be able to walk to the town football game on Friday nights and watch the local kids give it their all. I want to say hi to people I know at the grocery store. I want to chop wood to heat my home. I want my kids to be able to play outside and not have to worry about them. I don’t want great Mexican food ALL THE time….and believe me…you won’t find it like you do know. I want seasons….i want trees…I want crisp nights and ice covered windshields. I found a better use for my credit card that way!! Hahaha (scrape, scrape)

Life isn’t all about money….who pays more….where the jobs are. hell….sure there’s more job opportunity here in So Cal…there’s also MILLIONS of people competing for those jobs…so…it all balances out. Sure you get paid more….but…houses cost twice as much….and gas is more expensive. PLUS…that expensive gas you just bought disappears when you’re stuck in traffic and it takes you and hour to get 15 miles. Money can’t replace sanity.

My brother…sisters…mom…they would never move away. Mostly because they like it here. But…I think there is also a fear of change…of challenge. They are comfortable…so…why change anything? The family factor was my biggest challenge….living away from family and dealing with my wife not necessarily feeling exactly as I did about moving. Finding a place to live…finding a job…pftt….whatever. Sure it’s hard….but not impossible. Just make sure that you’re prepared for dealing with the change in lifestyle….and the fact that your spouse may be “going along” with idea and may not be as happy once you get there. If she ain’t happy…you ain’t happy.

Of course…if you never try then you’ll never know….right? And….there’s no shame it moving up north…realizing you made a mistake…and heading back down south.

I think the research you are doing is great. It’s gonna help to have an idea of what to expect…but….you’ll also learn along the way. If you’ve lived in San Diego all your life…then you don’t know what COLD is. You aren’t gonna be happy that some towns roll up the sidewalks at 8:00 pm. Craving a burger at 1:00 am…forget it. And say goodbye to In-n-out…hahaha.

Still….use your head….think on things…do some research….but in the end follow your heart. Just make sure your spouse is on the same page as you. J

Old 08-20-2013, 09:47 AM

23 posts, read 31,090 times
Very well said jflores! I too am looking to move up to Oregon from San Diego. Everyone thinks San Diego is so "perfect" but it's not. The weather is definately "perfect", but that's as far as it goes. The high prices of EVERYTHING, the crowding, houses sitting almost on top of each other and many many more issues. When I move, yes, I will miss some parts of San Diego. Mostly the close proximity to the beaches, the whale watching cruises and a few other things. But by trading that in, I believe myself and my family will have a much better qualify of life overall. I am tired of hearing gunshots at night (and we live in a pretty decent neighborhood), cars, cars and more cars and more after that, traffic jams daily, a million people all going to the same places and because of the overcrowding of events, beaches, etc, it takes all the fun out of it. I'm just tired of it all. I need a slower pace. I am hoping that Oregon can give me a slower pace and from what I'm reading here and saw on my last visit it seems that it just might. We've done the research, we've looked all across the country for where we might like to go and Oregon seems to fit.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:35 AM

7 posts, read 5,126 times
Obreezes

i hear you my friend. i know it must sound crazy to most people out there. but, again, it's all perspective. there is so much to do here in southern california....that i find i don't appreciate it. for example...there are people who have never seen the ocean. people in the midwest that have never been to the beach. so...they have a totally different view on it. others....who save and come here on vacation to visit disneyland....and it may be there once in a lifetime visit....and they think..."WOW...people who actually live here are so lucky." but...it's not the same. i had the lucky chance to visit Boston on a business trip a few months ago. LOVED IT. to me...Boston was amazing. the history....the people....the food....it was awesome. but...i'm sure the people that live there take things for granted just like i do here in Los Angeles. I'm too busy dealing with traffic and work...just to be able to afford to live here...much less do anything. hahaha
what i've found by moving from So Cal...to Washington....then to Oregon....and finally back here to LA again....is that there isn't a perfect place. if you're looking for a Utopia....good luck my friend. there may be a perfect place for you....but..finding it isn't easy...unless you can travel all over the world and test places out. just know that there's give and take....and sacrifices to be made. if you're prepared to try oregon out....do so with an open mind. It's different....so...take it for what it is. adapt to it...cause it ain't gonna adapt to you...hahaha. and...as i mentioned in a previous post....there's no shame in trying it out...deciding "this blows"...and moving back. if nothing else...you'll gain some experience and learn a bit about yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon