Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2013, 12:31 PM

3 posts, read 5,618 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

I am looking at relocating to the Oregon coast from a suburb of Chicago. I would appreciate any advice and information you can share!

I am a nursing student and want to get my masters and save money before moving, so it will be about 5 more years. I am just looking at possibilities for a location that is right for my family.

I am married and have two children, they will be about 7 and 14 at the time we will be moving.

I will obviously be working as a nurse, so preferably an area with job opportunities in healthcare.

An area with decent schools, coming from a Chicago suburb, the schools in my area aren't top notch anyway.

I want to live on the coast, preferably, with a view of the ocean. We are sick of having nothing to look at except our neighbor's yard and concrete. I love the rocky coastline and milder weather. 50's-70's is perfect to me!

I was looking at Brookings, but read that the healthcare in that area isn't very good. Would it be feasible to find employment in California and commute back and forth?

Any advice on a good neighborhood for us would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 01:02 PM

1,082 posts, read 1,912,815 times
what is your housing budget and does your spouse need employment?

Old 08-27-2013, 02:00 PM

My husband works from home so he won't need to find employment. I'm thinking between 200-350k would be doable.

Old 08-27-2013, 04:22 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,440,203 times
Ask again in 4.5 years. That is so far down the road, who knows what could happen.

You're probably going to think everyone here is going to sound like "Debbie Downers," but if anything we're giving you an optimistic view.

Realistically there isn't a lot of need for healthcare on the Coast because of the low populations. In addition, most of the Hospitals on the coast have a poor to terrible reputation, they simply don't have the money to be good hospitals. Your children will be bored out of their minds in small town rural Oregon, especially after coming from a major city. And I would be very worried about the teenager getting into Meth through friends. No schools on the coast have a good reputation, although decent might be possible in a few of the bigger towns.

There are four types of people on the Oregon Coast, families who have been there for generations, tourists, retirees, and those with summer homes.

Northern California Coast is pretty much the same as the Oregon Coast. It is so far from major cities that even tourism doesn't really help. Commuting back and forth is not reasonable at all. If you are absolutely fixated on the Coast, then stick to Eureka California, or the Northern Oregon Coast between Astoria and Newport.

Old 08-27-2013, 04:54 PM

Thank you, I really appreciate the honesty. I don't want to only hear the good, I need the truth. I don't want to move my family across the country and regret it in the future. Again, thank you for the reply.

Old 08-27-2013, 05:43 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,336,622 times
There are a dozen recent posts on this topic. Five years in advance is way to soon. Any comments are useless at this time. In five years things on the coast are so bad whole counties may be bankrupt. No exaggeration. It is a serious issue.

Old 01-17-2014, 10:21 AM

2 posts, read 4,000 times
Brookings/harbor, Oregon looks attractive for my wife and I to retire to. I have so many questions about rainfall/flooding problems, what kind of damage/repair work to be aware of such as wind, termites, mold, etc. We want to learn everything you want to share with us about living in Brookings, Oregon. Thank you
JenKenRN Have you looked at you tube videos to gain a familiarity with the areas you are interested in? I would think Brookings would offer many opportunities in the healthcare field with all the retirees.

Old 01-17-2014, 11:02 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,336,622 times
All the things you asked about exist (wind, termites, mold, etc.), but they exist everywhere. Due Diligence prevents bad decisions. If you haven't been there, fly into Portland or Eugene and check it out for your self. The drive down the coast is beautiful. It is great place to retire if your medical needs are minimal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon