Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 05:33 PM

1 posts, read 8,879 times

Advertisements

We are considering moving to Scio. I am wondering about the schools. K-12. I have two young children. Is there much drug activity in the town? I have heard that many small towns have drug/alcohol problems, is this true? It seems to be a nice area. How are the people?? Friendly? Thanks for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2006, 06:24 PM

11 posts, read 87,201 times
Default Scio And Other Small Towns

The drug problem is one that is rapidly spreading among all demographics. The only real difference between drug use in a small town and a large town is that you get to know most of the people in a small town and you learn who to stay away from. You need to do the best you can to teach your kids to stay away from drugs and hope they have the common sense to listen. Don't try to be such a good pal that you forget your motherly instincts. If you suspect associating with someone might be hazardous to your childs health or well being, it's okay for YOU to just say no.

Old 05-17-2006, 10:26 AM

1 posts, read 8,869 times
My family moved to Scio from Portland 8 years ago. It is a wonderful little town where we know our neighbors and still go trick-or-treating. Scio will be growing with the addition of 77 new houses being built in a housing devolopement. This will change our little town forever.
As for your question about drug activity, I agree with icreate. Drugs are everwhere in our society as a whole, its not a small town or a big town problem. It is no worse nor better here.
Scio has WONDERFUL schools!! The teachers take an interest in helping our children acheive success. Parents are encouraged to participate in the classroom, we even have "room mothers" who help organize special activities. I have not for a moment regretted moving to Scio. It felt like comming home.

Old 05-26-2006, 08:58 AM

1 posts, read 8,870 times
Scio schools are the best that we have had our kids enrolled in anywhere in Oregon, and we went through a few (Salem-Keizer, Coos Bay, Coquille, Stayton). The district struggles with funding, as does most of Oregon, but the teachers and administration put the kids first.

The town is friendly and welcoming, more so than many small towns can be.

Growth is coming, like it or not. Scio has a citizen committee that is involved in planning, and there is every reason to believe that the growth will be controlled - a good thing in my mind.

GF

Old 07-09-2006, 12:28 PM

6 posts, read 46,866 times
mod cut All my buyers just love the schools. Many Mennonites on small and large farms. They are wonderful people. There are drugs everywhere. You just need to keep your kids occupied. I have 3 in their 30's. No drug use, no pregnancies etc. They were raised in Northern California and Oregon. Scio is a very friendly town where neighbors still help their neighbors.

Last edited by Yac; 07-09-2006 at 03:47 PM..

Old 07-25-2006, 03:42 PM

2 posts, read 13,475 times
Sad to say one person sold out the community by selling their land to a developer. The move will change this quiet small town forever. As luck would have after selling they moved to an area away the development they bought to the community. Just shows to go you, you can always count on one person to ruin it for everyone else.

Old 07-25-2006, 08:52 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,045,187 times
i know some mean ole dog recently killed the town rooster. - IMO, any town that has a resident rooster has got to be cool.
Tiffany

Old 01-01-2007, 01:15 PM

3 posts, read 19,421 times
I know this post is realllllly old. But does anyone have photos of Scio?

I have recently run across a farm for sale that has potential, but my wife is wondering what the town has to offer, especially for groceries, clothing for kids etc.

Any info would be great...

Old 01-01-2007, 01:58 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,467,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurksteraz View Post
I know this post is realllllly old. But does anyone have photos of Scio?

I have recently run across a farm for sale that has potential, but my wife is wondering what the town has to offer, especially for groceries, clothing for kids etc.

Any info would be great...
Scio is a rural area. Don't move there if you are worried about what the town itself -- what there is of it -- has to offer in the way of amenities. When you live in a place like this, you have to take the attitude that you live in Linn County, not just the tiny little burg where your zip code is. Scio is not remote from I-5 main stem as some small towns are. Albany is about 15 miles away, Salem a few miles more. Those two cities will have all you need in the way of amenities. Scio is sometimes referred to as the Covered Bridge Capital of the West. It's a lovely bucolic area for those who like the countryside, but cityslickers or sun-seekers may not find what they're looking for. It's on my list as one of the next "it" places in Oregon.

Old 02-12-2007, 02:28 PM

4 posts, read 36,695 times
Scio is a great little community, as for shopping and the what, scio is located close to Lebanon, Oregon which has full service shopping, from Wal-mart to Safeway stores, and also not far from Salem which has about every store u can imagine, but it also has the out of the way flare which is slowly fadding in this country..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon