Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 11:38 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,328,019 times

Advertisements

Oakridge is becoming a low rent haven. I don't think the locals care much about tourist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2014, 12:27 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2rider View Post
I'm one of those mountain bikers. Oakridge has great riding but boy does that town need some businesses to cater to visitors. When we asked where to get a good breakfast, we were directed to "Dair Queen". I'm not sure how similar they are but the powers that be in Oakridge need to study the town of Fruita, Colorado. Fruita's main industry went kaput (not timber but you get the idea) and the idea of turning the town into a mountain biking destination has done wonders for the economy there.

Oakridge has tons of potential in the mountain biking arena....the question is "If they build it, will they come?" I know we're coming back in September and it's a 14 hour drive for us.
Well, you can't force anyone to open a restaurant there, and the Dairy Queen actually does provide a traditional breakfast (not at all the fast food menu that you would think). The bakery does a limited breakfast from Thurs. -- Sun. that's pretty good (I'm not sure if they still do it). A couple of the restaurants along Highway 58 have closed during the past couple of years, one that specifically catered to the mountain bikers but just couldn't stay open anymore.

I think that people have tried to open businesses that cater to visitors but have found that they can't survive. Also, a a whole, the mountain bike crowd is more self-sufficient than other types of visitors. As in, they tend to camp rather than stay in motels, and they bring most of their own food rather than going to restaurants. The pub is the only business in town that really gains anything financially from them. Mountain Bike Oregon is a good enough draw to the area, but it's pretty self-contained.

Old 03-23-2014, 01:51 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
I don't know about "secret millionaires". A million bucks is pretty pathetic. It isn't worth much any more. However, I know plenty of people in Southern Oregon who have an 8-digit net worth, which is more what people think about when they think "millionaire." A couple of sections of well managed timber will do it. 50 years ago, you could buy that much land (1280 acres) for $60,000. Today, just the timber on it would be worth $16 million, plus the value of the land. Their address may say "Oakridge", but they don't live in town.

Old 03-24-2014, 12:40 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,328,019 times
The last year I worked I paid taxes on $100,000. That was in 2000 and I only worked until October. I was lucky to be able to retire at 53. But you are right. A million is not that much. Most workers in middle class jobs will earn that much several times over in their careers. and 3.5 mil in the bank when interest was at 15& to 20% was a good thing, but at todays interest even commercial paper won't make a decent income on a Million, interest only. I know.

Old 03-24-2014, 04:51 PM

479 posts, read 801,122 times
I understand what you're saying because I too have friends (that make $100K plus) that prefer to camp and camped last year while we were in town. I stayed in town at the Best Western. I have other friends that prefer a real bed, access to a jacuzzi and a hot shower. I'm heading out to Utah this week and we're renting a house for the 4 day weekend. I'm heading out to Fruita next month and all the hotels are booked for the most part. Most people would be shocked to know how much those bikes cost nowadays and the last thing I want to do is leave one in a campground while I'm out tooling around.

As far as other businesses, I guess it's a catch-22. You can't become a big draw w/o the businesses to attract the visitors/riders that spend $$ and nobody wants to risk the start up cash w/o the visitor traffic to justify it. Either way, I'll be back and staying in a hotel and apparently eating pizza again at that hole in the wall joint on teh main drag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Well, you can't force anyone to open a restaurant there, and the Dairy Queen actually does provide a traditional breakfast (not at all the fast food menu that you would think). The bakery does a limited breakfast from Thurs. -- Sun. that's pretty good (I'm not sure if they still do it). A couple of the restaurants along Highway 58 have closed during the past couple of years, one that specifically catered to the mountain bikers but just couldn't stay open anymore.

I think that people have tried to open businesses that cater to visitors but have found that they can't survive. Also, a a whole, the mountain bike crowd is more self-sufficient than other types of visitors. As in, they tend to camp rather than stay in motels, and they bring most of their own food rather than going to restaurants. The pub is the only business in town that really gains anything financially from them. Mountain Bike Oregon is a good enough draw to the area, but it's pretty self-contained.

Old 03-24-2014, 05:03 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Just remembered something -- you might want to look up the Westfir Lodge. It changed hands last year and I think they're offering regular meals now.

As far as pizza at the main drag place (barf), haven't you been to the pub? You can get much better food there. Even the broasted chicken at Okie's little dive bar is better than that pizza.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon