Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 11:42 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times

Advertisements

I don't recall the name of the complex but I do remember visiting a former co-worker in a gated one in Vancouver WA. It wasn't an over 55 one though but it was very nice and well run. I don't know if she would be interested in something like that. If she is, I am certain you could Google "gated communities in Vancouver WA" to find it or something like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 11:04 AM

2,515 posts, read 5,022,043 times
I drove by this community recently: Summerfield is an age 55+ planned residential community and golf course located in Tigard, Oregon.

It looked pretty nice.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:52 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Tollgate in Sisters Oregon has a live guard at the entrance gate, but that is not a 55 plus community.

I think there are a few 55 plus developments, but they aren't gated. Qualify that. There are communities with gates at the entrance but they are always left open.

I've seen a live guard at the gate at one of the big resorts on the road to Mt Bachelor. I can't remember what resort, a big one with golf course, restaurants, hotel, vacation rentals, as well as condos (I'm not sure about free standing houses)

If you want to leave your home for long stretches of travel, perhaps you should consider a condo instead of looking for a gated 55 plus community.

Our seniors in Central Oregon aren't sitting around being seniors, They are out riding bikes, skiing, mountain climbing, golfing, and other outdoor activities. So they generally aren't too interested in 55 plus communities.

Old 09-25-2013, 06:08 PM

200 posts, read 508,814 times
Given the OP's criteria of a gated community and Del Webb-type amenities, I would suggest a look at the Del Webb Sierra Canyon 55+ community Sierra Canyon | Active Adult Community Reno NV | Del Webb homes near Reno, NV.

Old 09-26-2013, 03:04 PM

15 posts, read 31,109 times
Default Senior communities

There are not gated communities of the sort you seek in Oregon. There are senior manufactured home communities with the recreational facilities you seek. There's a nice one in Eugene where a relative lives and it is beautifully landscaped and maintained. I know there is one in Ashland and you can probably find others with a web search.

We live on the coast of Oregon in a little village called Manzanita. We never lock our doors, leave the car keys in the car (sometimes with the engine running at the post office). Crime here is kids going into a vacation home looking for beer.

Most of the full time residents here are seniors. There is a rec center, with pool, gym and loads of programs. Maybe you should consider small towns in Oregon.

You can afford a resort area on retirement income if you buy a manufactured home. There are sites on the net that specialize in the resale of manufactured homes.

Maybe this is another direction you could explore.

Old 09-26-2013, 05:38 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcap_2010 View Post

We live on the coast of Oregon in a little village called Manzanita. We never lock our doors, leave the car keys in the car (sometimes with the engine running at the post office). Crime here is kids going into a vacation home looking for beer.
I love visiting Manzanita. One of my favorite coastal towns for relaxing.

Old 09-27-2013, 01:01 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,328,019 times
I would have said there are none, but just yesterday I found one in Salem right behind the Target on Central and walking distance to Lancaster Mall, and twenty restaurants. Gated, security and all. Condos mostly as near as I could tell.

Old 09-29-2013, 12:46 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
On the pricy end of things look at the Mirabella in Portland.

Old 09-29-2013, 04:05 PM

939 posts, read 787,490 times
I think I may reconsider my reconsidering, and scrap the whole idea!

As I stated, I like doing yard work and even the best of the Del Webbs etc. have limitations on what kind of trees/flowers/lawns you can plant and work on in the backyard, and many won't even let you mow/landscape your front yard! As all home buyers, I was weighing this out against potentially getting more security in a gated community for my golden years, but it seems not many are not gated now (excepting it's/their golf course!).

Many of the 55+ communities in Oregon supplied in all of your replies (are what I retrieved in my Googling) are two-storied, or in areas (weather-wise) that I've been excluding in my conventional home searches. I would have considered them IF the community out weighed the area, which is why I wasn't area-specific in my OP. I was hoping that some of the natives knew of something that wasn't readily available in my G-search.

Thanks everyone for taking the time and effort for your responses, they were indeed appreciated.

Old 11-07-2013, 12:56 AM

16 posts, read 53,217 times
There is a 55+ gated manufactured home community in Brookings-Harbor called Emerald Coast Estates. It sounds like what you are looking for and more including ocean views. Emerald Coast Estates, Brookings Oregon, Homes for Sale
There is golfing nearby at a local course in Brookings or south 30 minutes or within a couple of hours drive, there are many courses up and down the coast including in Bandon. Check out the Curry Coastal Pilot at Brookings Oregon News, Sports, & Weather | The Curry Coastal Pilot - News, the local newspaper, for more info on Brookings-Harbor and real estate info, too.

Reba
A Brookings-Harbor resident for 3 1/2 years from So Cal and loving every minute
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon