Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2017, 08:13 PM

13 posts, read 19,241 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me how buggy it is down in klamath falls or in southern Oregon in general? Obviously insects are everywhere but I was thinking with higher elevation and a drier climate there, that maybe it wouldn't be as bad as western Oregon/ Washington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2017, 09:09 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,183,014 times
klamath Falls has a huge population of mosquitos and they can be miserable in the summer. The Wood River valley is flooded every year and has a large population of cattle which provides all the food the mosquitos need. Other then that, it's a lovely area to live.

Old 09-27-2017, 09:19 PM

18,812 posts, read 32,248,860 times
Yeah, was going to say mosquitos.

But, no otherwise big bug problems like in the south, or even poisonous spiders that I know of.

I have one of these for when I go hiking or want to hang out outside without dealing with mosquitos. Works amazing. Doesn't help much while you're moving, like while you're walking, but once you sit still, it creates a bubble force-field that no bugs penetrate. Smells just a little, but worth it. Called Thermacell.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BGHU7R6...a-362828151967

They also make bigger lanterns, etc., for bigger areas. But, I used to take my little portable unit to the woods, and I could sit on a bench in the woods and write in my journal in peace. I could see the mosquitos flying towards me and then repelled. Very cool.

Old 09-28-2017, 05:39 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,729,982 times
Mosquitoes are not bad in most of Southern Oregon, west of the Cascades - we have a problem near my house for a week or two in spring, but that is because the guy across the alley has a pool he has let go to "swamp" for the last 3 years running and Vector Control doesn't come out until May 1 to spray it and put mosquito dunks in it. After May 1 the problem drops to about nil.

The High Cascade lakes have a massive spring melt mosquito problem, you really can't camp up high until late July or August or so unless you are one of the people who doesn't get bitten or doesn't mind getting bitten.

As far as venomous arachnids/insects: There are black widow spiders (common) and brown recluse spiders (much less common), and scorpions, both in the forests and high desert - it's pretty rare to see the forest scorpions, but they are there. The spiders tend to stay in the garden or in dim recesses of sheds and barns, it's unusual to find them in the house or public places.

Venomous snakes: There are rattlesnakes in the rocky, dry parts of the high desert (on the east side of the Cascades) - they are common there, especially in rocky areas. There are also rattlesnakes out in the Applegate, out by Table Rock, and on the "dry" side of the I5 foothills, but not as common as in the high desert.

Here in Medford I sit out on my patio, especially in the late afternoon and early evening, and it is not common that I see a mosquito. When we lived on the other side of the Cascades, I had to set up insect repellents as described in the post above if I wanted to sit out in the early evening.

Klamath Falls has a mosquito problems around the ag canals and the back bays along the lakes, as it gets swampy. There are also the midges that show up late summer and last 6-10 weeks - they have no mouth or stinger, so they don't bite, but they swarm in huge numbers and are a nuisance.

Old 09-28-2017, 06:30 PM

17,608 posts, read 22,512,090 times
Once in a while i see some mosquitoes, but the fish in the bass pond eat em, the bats, frogs, & some of the birds eat them.....

Old 09-28-2017, 08:51 PM

18,812 posts, read 32,248,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Mosquitoes are not bad in most of Southern Oregon, west of the Cascades - we have a problem near my house for a week or two in spring, but that is because the guy across the alley has a pool he has let go to "swamp" for the last 3 years running and Vector Control doesn't come out until May 1 to spray it and put mosquito dunks in it. After May 1 the problem drops to about nil.

The High Cascade lakes have a massive spring melt mosquito problem, you really can't camp up high until late July or August or so unless you are one of the people who doesn't get bitten or doesn't mind getting bitten.

As far as venomous arachnids/insects: There are black widow spiders (common) and brown recluse spiders (much less common), and scorpions, both in the forests and high desert - it's pretty rare to see the forest scorpions, but they are there. The spiders tend to stay in the garden or in dim recesses of sheds and barns, it's unusual to find them in the house or public places.

Venomous snakes: There are rattlesnakes in the rocky, dry parts of the high desert (on the east side of the Cascades) - they are common there, especially in rocky areas. There are also rattlesnakes out in the Applegate, out by Table Rock, and on the "dry" side of the I5 foothills, but not as common as in the high desert.

Here in Medford I sit out on my patio, especially in the late afternoon and early evening, and it is not common that I see a mosquito. When we lived on the other side of the Cascades, I had to set up insect repellents as described in the post above if I wanted to sit out in the early evening.

Klamath Falls has a mosquito problems around the ag canals and the back bays along the lakes, as it gets swampy. There are also the midges that show up late summer and last 6-10 weeks - they have no mouth or stinger, so they don't bite, but they swarm in huge numbers and are a nuisance.
I am surprised you don't have more of a problem. I lived in Crescent City, CA, just across the border, and I'd go regularly to the Jedediah Smith redwoods, and the mosquitos are really bad much of the year there.

Old 09-29-2017, 09:42 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,729,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I am surprised you don't have more of a problem. I lived in Crescent City, CA, just across the border, and I'd go regularly to the Jedediah Smith redwoods, and the mosquitos are really bad much of the year there.
The area around the redwoods gets 60" of rain a year, we get 18" - it is, I think, mostly an issue of standing water for the mosquitoes to breed in.

Old 09-29-2017, 05:54 PM

17,608 posts, read 22,512,090 times
Female mosquitoes live for 42-56 days adult. Male mosquitoes live for 10 days. The females do the biting...

https://www.google.com/search?source....0.JKAR7FrkAXs

Old 09-29-2017, 07:16 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,561,453 times
There are a few roaches moving in. I lived in Oregon for the first 50 years of my life and never saw a cockroach, but they rode in with people from other states.

By far the most obnoxious Oregon bug is the yellowjacket. They can be relied on to ruin cookouts in the late summer. If you step on a nest you will be sorry. We do have black widows, but I have never met anyone who was bitten by one. OTOH, I don't think I have ever met anyone who hasn't been stung by a yellowjacket.

We have western rattlers everywhere in Oregon but the Willamette Valley and the coast. They are mostly a hazard to dogs.

We have enough mosquitoes that it's a good idea to vaccinate your horses for West Nile Virus. Urban mosquitoes mostly come from piles of discarded tires. Flood plain mosquitoes live on plants until they can find red meat.

Dry parts of the state have three species of tick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon