Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 10:44 AM

2 posts, read 5,901 times

Advertisements

My family and I are considering to reside in Medford, Oregon, but my mother is concerned about whether there will be any type of activities available, such as for the family. Are there any activities such as these in Medford? What is the crime rate? Is a large amount of acreage expensive? Also, is there a LDS church in Medford? I know a temple is located there, but I am curious as to what the size of the mormon population is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2013, 12:02 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,826,232 times
"Expensive" is a relative term, as is "acreage" - how many acres, how close to the city? There are a lot of wineries and fruit orchards in the area which produce relatively high-value crops, so acreage can be expensive. To get forested land (generally not as expensive as productive crop land), you have to go further out of town, into the hills around the area or up toward Grants Pass.

According to the City Data page
http://www.city-data.com/city/Medford-Oregon.html
(scroll WAY down), about 22% of people in Medford are associated with a church of any kind, and of those about 15% are LDS. The northwest in general is not heavily "churched" (I didn't say we aren't spiritual or religious, just not "churched" as in associated with a specific denomination). As Hawk will point out, there are a lot of "blue domers" here.

The crime rate in Medford is about average for Oregon larger cities, which is to say it's unfortunately high.

As far as "family activities," you'll have to be a bit more specific. There are a lot of outdoor self-directed activities (hiking, camping, fishing, etc). There is a large sports complex for soccer and baseball (actually there is more than one).

Old 11-09-2013, 08:20 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,764,474 times
There are 3 LDS churches in Medford and 3 close by. The Temple is actually in Central Point (just next door to Medford), where one of the churches is located.

I don't know how many wards in each of the churches, but just that there are 6 churches. Figuring only one ward per church building, and that they will have over 500 members before they build another church, there should be at least 3,000 members in and around Medford.

Old 11-11-2013, 07:29 PM

10 posts, read 25,667 times
Although Medford has many big city problems we moved to Grants Pass which is about 30 miles/minutes north of Medford. It's religious population is 17% LDS and 17% Catholic. Many people, including ourselves have noticed a spirit about the town. Though Josephine county has funding problems in regards to law enforcement, it's not nearly as lawless as it could be. I attribute this to the spirit that envelops this awesome town. The Beacon Hill ward always has activities going on with a large active scouting program, 80 plus kids in primary and families constantly moving in. The bishopric is quite youthful with large ever growing families so the youth are very well served.

Old 11-11-2013, 10:34 PM

1,620 posts, read 2,300,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelh85 View Post
Although Medford has many big city problems we moved to Grants Pass which is about 30 miles/minutes north of Medford. It's religious population is 17% LDS and 17% Catholic. Many people, including ourselves have noticed a spirit about the town. Though Josephine county has funding problems in regards to law enforcement, it's not nearly as lawless as it could be. I attribute this to the spirit that envelops this awesome town. The Beacon Hill ward always has activities going on with a large active scouting program, 80 plus kids in primary and families constantly moving in. The bishopric is quite youthful with large ever growing families so the youth are very well served.
That's an inversion layer. It makes the townsfolk loopy.

Old 11-12-2013, 11:56 AM

17,635 posts, read 22,636,672 times
There are many kind, caring, good folks in Grants Pass...

Grants Pass Daily Courier -- Rogue Valley Humane Society Critter Cam 2

Old 11-12-2013, 12:08 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,636,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
"Expensive" is a relative term, as is "acreage" - how many acres, how close to the city? There are a lot of wineries and fruit orchards in the area which produce relatively high-value crops, so acreage can be expensive. To get forested land (generally not as expensive as productive crop land), you have to go further out of town, into the hills around the area or up toward Grants Pass.

According to the City Data page
http://www.city-data.com/city/Medford-Oregon.html
(scroll WAY down), about 22% of people in Medford are associated with a church of any kind, and of those about 15% are LDS. The northwest in general is not heavily "churched" (I didn't say we aren't spiritual or religious, just not "churched" as in associated with a specific denomination). As Hawk will point out, there are a lot of "blue domers" here.

The crime rate in Medford is about average for Oregon larger cities, which is to say it's unfortunately high.

As far as "family activities," you'll have to be a bit more specific. There are a lot of outdoor self-directed activities (hiking, camping, fishing, etc). There is a large sports complex for soccer and baseball (actually there is more than one).
As PNW-type-gal mentioned, we live way out in the mountains. When I have a need, I prefer to talk to God high here on the mountain. I feel especially close to God here.

Old 02-13-2014, 03:56 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,845,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
There are 3 LDS churches in Medford and 3 close by. The Temple is actually in Central Point (just next door to Medford), where one of the churches is located.

I don't know how many wards in each of the churches, but just that there are 6 churches. Figuring only one ward per church building, and that they will have over 500 members before they build another church, there should be at least 3,000 members in and around Medford.
Considering a move to Medford.Do LDS people come around knocking on your door like JWs do?

Old 02-13-2014, 05:24 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,565,114 times
They knock on doors all over the world, if you aren't interested just say so and they move on. Now the Jehovah Witnesses....

Old 02-15-2014, 05:06 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,845,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
They knock on doors all over the world, if you aren't interested just say so and they move on. Now the Jehovah Witnesses....
But do they just do the same as the JWs and send two different ones next week?That is just sooo aggravating,but of course the JWs want to 'debate',since[according to ex-JWs] that is what they are trained to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon