Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 08:58 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,622,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post
Could probably summarize at as

Expensive places in Oregon:

Pdx metro
Corvallis
Eugene
Bend
Ashland

Inexpensive Places:

Everywhere else.
Except the coast!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 09:49 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,616,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpop View Post
Except the coast!
Good point.

Given the lack of actual cities on the coast (is there any town on the coast bigger than 10k? Lincoln City, Astoria, Florence are all under) I overlooked it as a place someone from out of state might land a job.

Old 01-02-2014, 12:30 PM

127 posts, read 306,596 times
Portland cheap is not Utah cheap. Avg $135,000 UT home is prob'ly $200-250,000 in Portland for a decent fixer on both east/westside suburbs near Portland, or the felony flats of NE Portland. For something new-ish, you'll be in a townhouse/rowhome on the westside. Be aware, most Oregon cities have been inundated with petty theft since recession..

Old 01-02-2014, 12:38 PM

18 posts, read 34,782 times
Kanbrein91,

First let me say I was born and raised in Oregon, spent 20 years there. However, not being really an "adult" while living there, I can't really speak on the job outlook there, but I'm sure that is available elsewhere online. The school I attended was meh, probably sub-par as others here stated. I grew up in Hood River, a small town located about an hour east of Portland.

I can say the people were very friendly, and although it is somewhat a tourist town, being right on the Columbia river in the Columbia gorge, you did get a feeling of community living there. Growing up we knew all our neighbors and would have no problem borrowing milk here or sugar there. I think the real estate might have been on the high end, but probably lower compared to some PDX suburbs.

Did I mention it is breathtaking? All one needs to do is google "Hood River" and it's like a post card vacation. Hiking, biking, major windsurfing hub, swimming, snowboarding/skiing on Mt. Hood, all outdoor activities are right there. The one down side is that there is no mall, no big shopping areas, not even a super Walmart! Which the town has fought hard against. There are plenty of small businesses however, and we never had trouble finding what we needed. All the cherry orchards are also amazing in the spring.

If you want to know more, you can personal message me. Hope this helped

Last edited by Countrydreaming; 01-02-2014 at 12:41 PM.. Reason: Content

Old 01-02-2014, 01:08 PM

543 posts, read 1,146,060 times
One good thing about Oregon has to do with the Urban Growth Boundary. This means basically that no matter what town/city you are in, you can be out in natural surroundings within minutes. Although people who have lived here for a long time may see a lot of sprawl, if you are familiar with cities with no boundary, such as Atlanta, or Indianapolis, Kansas City, etc., the access to nature is more limited since you have to drive such a distance to get to parks, trees, etc.

I have to agree that finding work here would be the top priority before actually moving. How to do that? Sometimes the place of employment requires a local address, so your husband might consider getting a small apartment or renting a room just to have some base and an address from which to operate. This might not be in stone, but it is something to consider.

Here is a link to recent school rankings as compared nationally, not just here:

Oregon names standout schools, those with abysmal results: 2013 Oregon school ratings | OregonLive.com

Hope that helps.

I have known people who had a huge drive to be here and were willing to take work in any field, just to get here... Then, after a time, were able to find more suitable work. Best wishes!

Old 01-03-2014, 12:42 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,328,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydoc View Post
... ...
I have known people who had a huge drive to be here and were willing to take work in any field, just to get here... Then, after a time, were able to find more suitable work. Best wishes!
It's a lack of work in the "any fields" that is the issue. Well trained and experienced can find work, and applying from out of state is not a problem in most cases. But .... some fields are over staffed and jobs like teaching and techniical fields are on the wane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon