U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-26-2007, 10:08 AM

1 posts, read 2,948 times

Advertisements

Hello world! We are new to this post, first time so please bear with us.
We live in California and we are looking at moving to Oregon. Important criteria is mild climate as much sun as possible, not humid, safe, quiet, small town but not isolated or completely rural, lower cost of living with good quality of life. Decent medical care within reasonable distance. My wife is disabled so we lost the biggest chunk of our income and need to downsize. I work in television or radio advertising/promotions and need to work wherever we live, unfortunately we don't have a retirement but I can do other jobs as long as the pay is at least 60K/year. We need help! Unfortunately, we are not in the position to just come up there and scout around. Thanks so much.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2007, 03:17 PM

152 posts, read 376,633 times
look at the other messages here, that should help you narrow your questions,

Old 11-26-2007, 07:01 PM

480 posts, read 1,544,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialove View Post
We live in California and we are looking at moving to Oregon. Important criteria is mild climate as much sun as possible, not humid, safe, quiet, small town but not isolated or completely rural, lower cost of living with good quality of life. Decent medical care within reasonable distance. My wife is disabled so we lost the biggest chunk of our income and need to downsize. I work in television or radio advertising/promotions and need to work wherever we live, unfortunately we don't have a retirement but I can do other jobs as long as the pay is at least 60K/year. We need help! Unfortunately, we are not in the position to just come up there and scout around. Thanks so much.
As much sun as possible could put you in Central Oregon - maybe Bend, Redmond or Prineville. However, we have four seasons here and I'm not sure if that fits what you mean by mild climate because it does get cold and we do get snow and some of our summer days get pretty warm. In Central Oregon, there are a couple of TV stations in Bend and several radio stations, but Bend housing is expensive (not nearly as expensive as California though). In Central Oregon altogether, I think there are 16 radio stations, a couple in Prineville, one or two in Redmond and most in Bend. There is also Bend Broadband, our cable company, and they often are hiring for marketing and sales positions but I really don't know what you might expect in salary.

Old 11-26-2007, 07:30 PM

1,226 posts, read 3,401,253 times
Either you compromise, or your choices are going to get clear in a hurry.

For example, you probably won't find your work in a town smaller than Medford.

If the rain is too wet, and too little sun in Portland, then the weather you mentioned rules-out Portland, all of it's suburbs, as well as Eugene and Salem.

Now you are left with basically Bend and Medford.

Old 11-29-2007, 10:39 PM

1,084 posts, read 2,893,951 times
I'd look at the city-data and the federal wage data for a few other areas. The Rocky Mtn region is sunnier and dryer, and has some mid size cities that are more likely to provide what you are looking for, rather than western Oregon especially.

Old 11-30-2007, 07:34 PM

10,940 posts, read 18,613,921 times
You are going to have to compromise. For radio and TV promotion jobs, I would think you will need to be closer to a metro area. You might want to live in one of the smaller towns surrouding a metro area.

I live in Salem, OR and the weather is definately 4 seasons. I'd say winter tends to hover in the low 40's most of the time, and it is gray from about Nov-Feb with occasional sunny breaks in-between. Summers tend to be around 80. The valley area tends to be less rainy than Portland, but if you want a lot of good sun you need to head to central Oregon area. Not sure how many radio and tv jobs are out there.

In the Salem Metro area, I would recommend Silverton, Monmouth, Indpendence, and maybe Stayon or Aumsville. Salem has a hospital as does Silverton. These are all nice small towns. Silverton is very charming and one of my favorite small towns around Salem.

Oerogn in general is not humid. I originally hailed from Illinois and it is NOT humid out here.

Old 12-01-2007, 12:18 AM

7 posts, read 25,191 times
Looking at your salary requirements, I'd have to say it limits you the PDX metro area unless you can drive a truck or something. Radio in PDX is dominated by CC, CBS and Entercom -- you'll have to get in one of these outfits to do radio. 60K? I don't know. Good luck.

Old 12-01-2007, 11:18 AM

841 posts, read 4,645,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialove View Post
Oregon might not be what you're looking for. The only large metro that could have decent enough medical care is Portland. The rest of the state is made up of small towns and are rural. If Oregon is where you want to move, I'd say stay along the 5 as it goes through the most populated areas of Oregon.

Old 12-01-2007, 02:22 PM

540 posts, read 1,382,603 times
Just a note. The radio station in Lebanon (KGAL/KSHO) where I have my weekly radio show - it's actually 2 AM stations, 1 news / sports Talk (where my show is), the other is music (Sinatra, Dean Martin type stuff) is now hiring sales people.
The Sales Manager just recently left for another position and my understanding was that there was the potential there for her for somewhere upwards of 50K; it all depends on how good you are at building the relationships that result in sales.

They are interviewing now for new sales people...and the manager job is going to be in the mix. You might want to check it out. E-mail me and I'd be happy to give you the contact information.

Dave

Old 12-04-2007, 11:43 PM

15 posts, read 38,134 times
If you want to get hired as a cowhand...try Paisley Oregon. :|
Here are some pictures:
The library-

The Library in winter(yes we have alot of snow!)-
http://www.arrowrealestate.net/images/images/West1_C-1343.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon