Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 03:21 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,334,839 times

Advertisements

So share your route with us.

And Dallas would love to have you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 09:30 PM

17 posts, read 21,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
So share your route with us.

And Dallas would love to have you.

Thanks for the offer. We just might take you up on that if we can both find jobs nearby.

As for our trip, we actually stayed 6 nights. What we did was in each town we would check out a couple of houses that I had found on craigslist for sale. That gave us a chance to really explore the different neighborhoods. Then we would go to a couple of attractions to keep the kids happy.

Day 1 we stayed at a motel in Medford. On our way up we looked around in Ashland and we made a stop in Phoenix. Then it was on to Medford for the night.

Day 2 we looked at Grants Pass first. Then we went to Winston and drove though the Wildlife Safari. Next we made a stop for supplies in Roseburg. Our next stop was Cottage Grove. I really liked this town. It is in my top 5 potential places to move to. We finished up our day in Springfield and then stayed the night in Eugene.

Day 3 started with checking out some houses in Eugene. We went west though Eugene and took 99W north to Corvallis. I loved the rural areas between Eugene and Corvallis. Next took 34 east back to I5 north. Looked around Albany then up to Salem for the night.

Day 4 looked at the Capitol in Salem then checked out a couple of houses in Keizer. Took highway 22 west toward Dallas. Had lunch in Dallas and looked a few nice homes. My wife and I both loved this town. Back on 99W north to McMinnville. Beautiful town as well. And the farming areas all though this region just blew me away. It was so beautiful I hated to have to leave. From McMinnville we took 47 north to Forest Grove. Looked at some nice houses in the area. Then east on 8 though Hillsboro, Aloha and into Beaverton. Beaverton was my wife's favorite place in Oregon. Took 217 north to 26 east and into Portland. Spent the rest of the day exploring Portland. Then got on I5 and crossed into Vancouver to spend the night.

Day 5 started with looking at several houses in Vancouver. Then off to Camas and Washougal. Camas was my wife's favorite place of the entire trip. It's her number 1 place to move to. I liked it as well, but preferred some of the smaller towns in Oregon. Next was 205 south through Clackamas, West Linn, Oregon City and Lake Oswego. We liked all of these areas, with Lake Oswego being our favorite. Got back on I5 all the way up to Longview WA. Took highway 30 west to Astoria. I loved Astoria. We spent the night there.

Day 6 got on 101 south. Mostly just driving this day. Everything was just so beautiful, I could see myself living anywhere along the Oregon coast. We stopped in Newport and went to the aquarium. It was very nice. And not crowded at all. We headed south all the way to Gold beach and spent the night. One thing I just remembered about this day is stopping at a rest area to use the restroom. There was a small building in the center that had coffee and pastries. Everything was free! The lady said there are several rest areas in Oregon that provide this. I wish we would have known sooner.

Day 7 I drove all the way home to Fresno from Gold Beach. Our only stop was to see the Trees of Mystery in Klamath, CA. Got home around 9pm.

Like I said before, I would have liked to check out more areas. But it was just kind of hard to keep everybody in the car all day. For myself, my favorite areas were between Eugene and McMinnville and west of I5. I liked the small towns and especially the rural areas as I have lived on a farm my whole life. My wife was a city girl before I married her, and she prefers the larger cities.

My favorite thing about Oregon was paying 40 cents less for gas and having it pumped for me! We really get screwed here in California. I guess we have to pay for all the freeloaders somehow.

I think at this point the big question is where we can both find jobs. We will probably start applying in several of these areas and hope for the best.

Old 01-12-2014, 11:53 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,334,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WP77 View Post
Thanks for the offer. We just might take you up on that if we can both find jobs nearby.

As for our trip, we actually stayed 6 nights. What we did was in each town we would check out a couple of houses that I had found on craigslist for sale. That gave us a chance to really explore the different neighborhoods. Then we would go to a couple of attractions to keep the kids happy.

Day 1 we stayed at a motel in Medford. On our way up we looked around in Ashland and we made a stop in Phoenix. Then it was on to Medford for the night.

Day 2 we looked at Grants Pass first. Then we went to Winston and drove though the Wildlife Safari. Next we made a stop for supplies in Roseburg. Our next stop was Cottage Grove. I really liked this town. It is in my top 5 potential places to move to. We finished up our day in Springfield and then stayed the night in Eugene.

Day 3 started with checking out some houses in Eugene. We went west though Eugene and took 99W north to Corvallis. I loved the rural areas between Eugene and Corvallis. Next took 34 east back to I5 north. Looked around Albany then up to Salem for the night.

Day 4 looked at the Capitol in Salem then checked out a couple of houses in Keizer. Took highway 22 west toward Dallas. Had lunch in Dallas and looked a few nice homes. My wife and I both loved this town. Back on 99W north to McMinnville. Beautiful town as well. And the farming areas all though this region just blew me away. It was so beautiful I hated to have to leave. From McMinnville we took 47 north to Forest Grove. Looked at some nice houses in the area. Then east on 8 though Hillsboro, Aloha and into Beaverton. Beaverton was my wife's favorite place in Oregon. Took 217 north to 26 east and into Portland. Spent the rest of the day exploring Portland. Then got on I5 and crossed into Vancouver to spend the night.

Day 5 started with looking at several houses in Vancouver. Then off to Camas and Washougal. Camas was my wife's favorite place of the entire trip. It's her number 1 place to move to. I liked it as well, but preferred some of the smaller towns in Oregon. Next was 205 south through Clackamas, West Linn, Oregon City and Lake Oswego. We liked all of these areas, with Lake Oswego being our favorite. Got back on I5 all the way up to Longview WA. Took highway 30 west to Astoria. I loved Astoria. We spent the night there.

Day 6 got on 101 south. Mostly just driving this day. Everything was just so beautiful, I could see myself living anywhere along the Oregon coast. We stopped in Newport and went to the aquarium. It was very nice. And not crowded at all. We headed south all the way to Gold beach and spent the night. One thing I just remembered about this day is stopping at a rest area to use the restroom. There was a small building in the center that had coffee and pastries. Everything was free! The lady said there are several rest areas in Oregon that provide this. I wish we would have known sooner.

Day 7 I drove all the way home to Fresno from Gold Beach. Our only stop was to see the Trees of Mystery in Klamath, CA. Got home around 9pm.

Like I said before, I would have liked to check out more areas. But it was just kind of hard to keep everybody in the car all day. For myself, my favorite areas were between Eugene and McMinnville and west of I5. I liked the small towns and especially the rural areas as I have lived on a farm my whole life. My wife was a city girl before I married her, and she prefers the larger cities.

My favorite thing about Oregon was paying 40 cents less for gas and having it pumped for me! We really get screwed here in California. I guess we have to pay for all the freeloaders somehow.

I think at this point the big question is where we can both find jobs. We will probably start applying in several of these areas and hope for the best.

Great Trip. Thanks for sharing. You left Central Oregon for the next run I see.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:19 AM

17 posts, read 21,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
Great Trip. Thanks for sharing. You left Central Oregon for the next run I see.

I'm not sure what area is known as central Oregon. But if you mean the high desert areas like Bend, I have already ruled that out. Weather and scenery is a big reason for us to want to move. I really want to get away from the desert I live in right now. I like things to stay green and lots of rain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon