Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 10:43 AM

46 posts, read 61,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
I

The o.p. (and possibly yourself) has not identified any personal affinity for any of Oregon's known intrinsics. There are a LOT of places that could deliver the rather universal desires outlined in the o.p. Also more than a few mutually exclusive druthers exist in the o.p. IOW she doesn't really even have a clue what she wants or needs. Given her age that's no crime. How old are you? What makes you think Oregon will be better than where you are now? Moving is expensive and costly and not just in the moving expenses. The people who don't just slap blanket approval or warm fuzzy encouragement all over your pipe-dreams are the ones you should pay some attention to. Takes only a little time and scant thought to say "come on down...". It takes more time and more thought and much more effort to craft a reasoned argument against rash decisions. Like I have just done. You're welcome.

H

There is a lot of places with my universal desires which Is why I have posted this in several states. I think part of what sparked my interest in Oregon was my uncles tales of camping and fun during his years there after I confessed to him I thought it was a city. I appreciate your bluntness, I actually like you said, prefer the non-sugar coated responses. I'd much rather get diverse, honest, sometimes harsh replies than sweet tales of flowers and sun shine and so far on my other threads, that is what I have gotten; some very honest responses.
Unlike the other states I have expressed interest in, Oregon has never been on my radar. I posted my questions on this thread on a whim to learn more about the state, but I hardly know anything about it. From what I'm getting on this thread and other websites, it seems to be it isn't meant for me as I would be to young and inexperienced. Thank you for all the input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 11:11 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
What kind of school did you go to where you didn't even learn the states? We had know that in the 4th grade (as well as their capitols).

Old 02-03-2014, 01:51 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,619,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post

So you come to forums expecting blanket encouragement for your relocation whims? The vast majority of people die close to where they were born. Those that don't, relocate when they transition to higher education and/or at retirement. The rest move due to job transfers and wanderlust. Even the job transfers don't always turn out well. The wanderers have an especially mixed bag.
There was some data released a few weeks ago looking at U.S. mobility over the past few decades. To Leises' point, mobility among the bachelors-holding population is flat or down slightly; mobility among the non-degreed is down tremendously.

We have this image of American wanderlust born of Kerouac and earlier generations that doesn't really hold up well for today's reality.

The likely reasons being that the economy has been on a downward trend for the working class for decades, and housing/COL keep going up. While there will be success stories, statistically it's quite hard to get ahead, and if you move away from home you're cut off from a lot of the non-monetary resources (friends, family, references) that can help you survive when your own money is tight.

I actually do know quite a few Portlanders/Eugenians who made the trek out from MI/WI, but they all came with a bachelors (and often an advanced degree) and several years work under their belt.

Old 02-03-2014, 02:00 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,775,986 times
Oregon gets hot but it doesn't last very long - say 2-3 months. Medford has very hot summers though.

I don't think Oregon is an extension of California - it has as much in common with the northern Midwest, imo.

Old 02-03-2014, 02:05 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,543,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckinMi View Post
I have posted this thread on a few other states.
So Oregon, of all my possible options, is the least appealing simply because so many people have said its become an extension of California, a state I absolutely despise. If that is truly the case, then forget this. But like every state, I believe that there is different areas for different people and I find it hard to imagine the ENTIRE state is just another California. What also makes it the most appealing in one aspect, is the weather. My other possible home states are very hot and I'm used to maybe two good hot months a year where I come from. I live in MI, I'm currently a high school student looking for a place to move to after I graduate soon so colleges are a major factor but also I like more of a city type area because no single, young girl wants to live in the boondocks. I'm extremely embarrassed to say the following because I am not the typical dumb high school girl, but I didn't even know Oregon was a state. I never hear it mentioned in the news or talked about. Its so random! But It popped up the other day on this site when I was doing a little researching and it didn't seem half bad!

1. I enjoy warm but not Florida hot weather. I don't mind a little chill, love the rain.
2. I like swimming especially in natural water. Adore the beach on lakes and oceans both. Fishing is something I don't ever want to give up!
3. I intend to Major in Business, I'd like a job managing a corporation or being a real estate broker.
4. Coming from a place like MI, I need a state that's not the same all year. A little variety in seasons.
5.I would have no family near me with no connections in any of the states I've posted this on, so low crime and high moral would be a plus.
6.I would like a small farm one day with smaller animals
7.I live in a big college town, I could never live in a small place with one little shop. I like driving an ten minutes away and having everything I need.
8. Big, naturally curly hair; for those of you who can relate, you know that weather is a HUGE factor in our ability to look like poo or look fabulous. Any tips? (Unimportant I know, but come on a young single girl has gotta look good!)
9. I am ethnic though its not obvious, if my family came and visited, it would be clear I am mixed. Can't live in any racially tense areas. I hear a lot of stereotypes about the south and while I know most of them are just silly myths in this day and age, I still feel the need to mention it.
10. I love diversity! I don't just mean ethnically, though that is a plus, but with class and religion, styles, everything. I don't mind trailers and mansions, Catholics or atheist, rock and roll queens or timid blue grass lovers. I really enjoy every human being, the more the merrier
11. I like a bit of southern charm, but I'm also fairly liberal on social issues. I'm also not religious one bit.
12. I like "bang for my buck". I like big houses, big food, big everything. Economy is a major factor for me, so BIG economy with lots of variety in careers.
13. Having a family is very important to me. I understand that may mean moving away from the major cities im posting in, but over all, is the state good for raising a family in?
14. I like FUN. Not major all the time sky diving fun, but I cannot imagine living in a boring state/city period.
I haven't read the other responses but I strongly recommend Eugene and U of O.

It has a moderate climate and is a gateway to the Oregon coast and sunny east Oregon. The UO is a good school for business as well.

Old 02-03-2014, 02:05 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,775,986 times
1. I enjoy warm but not Florida hot weather. I don't mind a little chill, love the rain.

Try nine months of chill, 3 of warm/hot for Oregon.
2. I like swimming especially in natural water. Adore the beach on lakes and oceans both. Fishing is something I don't ever want to give up!
You're out of luck in Portland, but the rest of the state has plenty of that.
3. I intend to Major in Business, I'd like a job managing a corporation or being a real estate broker.
Economy ain't great here, but you can still make it.
4. Coming from a place like MI, I need a state that's not the same all year. A little variety in seasons.
Except for the hot dry summer most of the year is cool and wet; not a lot of seasonal variability. But fall still feels like fall etc.
5.I would have no family near me with no connections in any of the states I've posted this on, so low crime and high moral would be a plus.
Crime is very low in Portland for a city! I think people here are very nice for the most part.
6.I would like a small farm one day with smaller animals
It can be done.
7.I live in a big college town, I could never live in a small place with one little shop. I like driving an ten minutes away and having everything I need.
Portland or Eugene is for you then.
8. Big, naturally curly hair; for those of you who can relate, you know that weather is a HUGE factor in our ability to look like poo or look fabulous. Any tips? (Unimportant I know, but come on a young single girl has gotta look good!)
Can't help you here I'm a dude
9. I am ethnic though its not obvious, if my family came and visited, it would be clear I am mixed. Can't live in any racially tense areas. I hear a lot of stereotypes about the south and while I know most of them are just silly myths in this day and age, I still feel the need to mention it.

There's some "hipster racism" here but you'd almost never encounter outright hostility.

10. I love diversity! I don't just mean ethnically, though that is a plus, but with class and religion, styles, everything. I don't mind trailers and mansions, Catholics or atheist, rock and roll queens or timid blue grass lovers. I really enjoy every human being, the more the merrier

Oregon is more diverse than people give it credit for.

11. I like a bit of southern charm, but I'm also fairly liberal on social issues. I'm also not religious one bit.

Many people in Oregon have family roots in the South, and believe it or not some people speak with Southern-tinged accents here.

12. I like "bang for my buck". I like big houses, big food, big everything. Economy is a major factor for me, so BIG economy with lots of variety in careers.

The economy here is quite poor, but there is worse.

13. Having a family is very important to me. I understand that may mean moving away from the major cities im posting in, but over all, is the state good for raising a family in?

I would say no. The schools aren't that great. It is a pretty safe state though.

14. I like FUN. Not major all the time sky diving fun, but I cannot imagine living in a boring state/city period.

Depends on what you consider fun. If the woods and mountains are your thing, Oregon is for you, granted you have a car!

Old 02-03-2014, 08:25 PM

46 posts, read 61,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
What kind of school did you go to where you didn't even learn the states? We had know that in the 4th grade (as well as their capitols).
It's funny you ask this because my family frequently makes fun of me for my knack to forget the most basic things that were drilled into my brain since pre-school, yet I remember decimal statistics to facts that have no relevance to my life what so ever. I went to a very good school its one of the best in MI. I have haunting memories of learning the state song in music class. We sang it over and over and over, and to this day, I still wouldn't have gotten Oregon and instead just mumbled over it pretending to sing along!

Again, thank you everyone for all the input. As of now, I am pretty good on my Oregon info. Its at the very bottom of my list. Knoxville seems to be my dream home as of now though that has plenty of time to change and most likely will due to the fact I don't like UTK.

Old 02-04-2014, 04:12 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
You have been given some good advice. The only thing I want to add is this. Don't move anywhere without having visited at least once. I too am a transplant so I am giving this advice based on my own experiences. Moving to a place just on what you have heard is not the best way to go.

Make a list, pick the places that sound the most suitable for you and then visit. You are young and have time. These places are going anywhere. When you do visit, don't be a tourist the entire time, see the sights but really look around as if you were going to move to that place. Talk to the people who are living there.

Don't be in a hurry. And above all, don't fall for what you see and/or hear by reputation either on Social Media or TV or anything of that nature. I have seen more people move back to where they came than you can imagine because of being very disappointed that their destination didn't turn out to be what they had been told it would be but did not check it out for themselves. I am not only talking about Portland either. This can happen anywhere. So we have come full circle to my advice of "Go see for yourself first."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon