U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 07:51 PM

217 posts, read 678,017 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I'm looking for a city to call home in Oregon. I haven't seen any posts on Myrtle Point. I know it's a tiny city. I would appreciate any info on the weather there, like how much snow and rain it gets on a yearly basis. Crime rate etc. I looked all over the web, but Myrtle Point is so small that you can't really find any credible info. Thanks to all. Best to you and yours, skitow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2006, 10:18 PM

1,849 posts, read 4,730,386 times
I've been by and through Myrtle Point several times. I have also known some people from there as sometimes they work in the bay area.

There are about 2500 people living there. There's not much snow just a dusting during winter. I ended up up 2 different amounts on the rain average so somewhere between 55 and 60 inches per year.

Highway 42 goes through it which can make the middle of town busy. Right now there are 2 grocery stores locate along highway 42 in Myrtle Point. There's a bank, motel and a Diner located there. Other then that it's mostly houses spread around. It is quite a rural location.

Old 10-21-2006, 10:48 PM

1,181 posts, read 2,345,983 times
Waterlily is right about Highway 42 going through town but not STRAIGHT through town. lol. What is with the new road construction but leaving all those zig-zag S curves? It's also the home of the Coos County Fairgrounds. Oh yeah, and there's an A&W still to be found in that town. I just was through that town today.

Old 10-22-2006, 02:11 AM

Default Waterlily And Seashelly

HI! Thanks to both of you for your info. I appreciate your help, skitow

Old 10-23-2006, 07:16 PM

11 posts, read 94,467 times
Myrtle Point is a 'ranch' town. Where there are alot of farms and ranches and it is small and has a terrible economy. It is a town where you are better off knowing someone or being related to them before trying to move there. Coquille, Oregon which is about 20 miles away is a little better. It is the county seat and has a little better economy and job protential. Crime rate is relatively low except for the typical meth related crimes and property related crimes.

Old 10-24-2006, 01:24 PM

Default Myrtle Point a ranch town

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonlightning View Post
Myrtle Point is a 'ranch' town. Where there are alot of farms and ranches and it is small and has a terrible economy. It is a town where you are better off knowing someone or being related to them before trying to move there. Coquille, Oregon which is about 20 miles away is a little better. It is the county seat and has a little better economy and job protential. Crime rate is relatively low except for the typical meth related crimes and property related crimes.
Thanks for your input. I think Myrtle Point is not the place for me. I'd like to move to Medford, but I keep reading that it has a terrible fog problem. I grew up in Spokane WA and I know how bad fog can get. I usually had to turn off my headlights when driving on the river road. Yes that's a real street name. Thanks again, skitow.

Old 10-14-2007, 09:56 PM

1,084 posts, read 2,919,453 times
Follow questons upon Myrtle Point:

Are all the creeks and streams in this area "flood plains" if the propertyy goes up next to them?
Myrtle Point had a sort of low/neg air and water quality rating on one site I saw-- What's that about?
If you live out of town on 42 I assume that the traffic noise, etc, is just as bad as in town?
Also, is 42 the only paved road? How's local road maintainance when it gets below freezing?

Old 10-16-2007, 11:23 PM

11 posts, read 94,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esya View Post
Follow questons upon Myrtle Point:

Are all the creeks and streams in this area "flood plains" if the propertyy goes up next to them?
Myrtle Point had a sort of low/neg air and water quality rating on one site I saw-- What's that about?
If you live out of town on 42 I assume that the traffic noise, etc, is just as bad as in town?
Also, is 42 the only paved road? How's local road maintainance when it gets below freezing?
1. Most of the creeks and river access properties are lowlands and do flood. School are sometimes closed for a few days in the winter due to flooding.
2. Myrtle Point is in the Coquille Valley, which creates some inversion problems. Since it is so rural there are no burn rules for wood stoves either.
3. The big-rig traffic on 42 is non-stop and is especially noisy in the summer. But in general, it is relatively noisy.
4. 42 is not the only paved road. There are a lot of paved roads. That doesn't mean they are still on the counties list for maintenance.
5. The remedy for freezing is usually spreading sand or salt, period.

Old 11-04-2007, 11:43 AM

1,084 posts, read 2,919,453 times
Default Myrtle Creek and paved country roads

Thanks for the information. I am looking for a place away from traffic vibration, if it still exists in this country. I love eastern Oregon's climate. Even though I like to drive, I am not a SUV type of person and would like a maintained road. Any suggestions in the Coos Bay or other eastern Oregon regions for areas to look for a small place? A two lane road that did NOT get semis would be fine.

Old 01-25-2008, 12:28 AM

2 posts, read 7,497 times
Much of the info on Myrtle Point as posted is in the ball park. A couple pointers:
1. Myrtle Creek is inland on I-5 south of Roseburg. Myrtle Point is on a point of land where the Coquille river bends, inland about a half hour from Bandon.
2. Myrtle Point has a very mild climate, one of the best on the west coast. Most weather sites are interpolated from the coast or from deep inland, so they do not reflect the true situation. Try Myrtle Point, Oregon (97458) Conditions & Forecast : Weather Underground
which is based in part on an actual local station. Scroll down for the actual stations.
3. Myrtle Point has a German rural valley landscape, neat and clean, scenic. Dairy is still strong, so is ranching. Lumber is down, but not out. There is an increasing retirement population.
4. Myrtle Point has been a HUB for the region stretching from Gold Beach to Reedsport. Thus it still has the Coos County Fair. There are two active museums, one for logging, another a regional display facility with exhibits ranging from fine art to Century Farms. see Coquille Valley - Main Page to get an idea of the cultural richness of the area
5. Myrtle Point also has an OSU Extension facility with fine conference and research offerings.
6. Myrtle Point hosts more than just the yearly Fair, last week in July. Myrtle Point has a Harvest Festival complete with car Show and Shine the third weekend in September and a Christmas Lights the Night with Santa all day the second Saturday in December.
7. Myrtle Point has no strip malls. The Highway 42 traffic is not noisy by any city standards and does not penetrate very far ... that is most of us do not hear it. If you live close to a mill or high school you will hear that noise, not like an airport or an Interstate, and that would be a choice.
8. The local economy is shifting from the once vital logging industry, sustained by dairy and ranching, to a place treasured for its clean climate and safe environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon