Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 04:32 PM

16 posts, read 40,931 times

Advertisements

Hi - I have read this thread (peeled back the layers and read it all again)and I like the idea of Newport for the smaller feel you all mention. I would like to know about the neighbors. Are the people friendly? I will be moving out there to retire and I don't have friends or family on the West Coast. Are there volunteer opportunities? I like ballet, plays and classical music....I don't fish, but I NEED to be near the ocean. There is a pull that I can't explain.

I started a new thread because I thought it would be nice to have an update as far as the year. There might be some changes that have occurred. THANK You All.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 05:29 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,331,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazziee View Post
Hi - I have read this thread (peeled back the layers and read it all again)and I like the idea of Newport for the smaller feel you all mention. I would like to know about the neighbors. Are the people friendly? I will be moving out there to retire and I don't have friends or family on the West Coast. Are there volunteer opportunities? I like ballet, plays and classical music....I don't fish, but I NEED to be near the ocean. There is a pull that I can't explain.

I started a new thread because I thought it would be nice to have an update as far as the year. There might be some changes that have occurred. THANK You All.

You're picking the wrong city unless you like a drive into Eugene or up to Portland. All those things you like don't exist in Newport. Newport is about fishing and industry with some tourist thrown in. The long time locals could really care less if you come or go and the new mostly retired are there for themselves. As a tourist you will be treated with open arms by most of the businesses, but not all. Newport is a great place to live, but it is an industrial town, not so much artsy, although you can find a little here and there.

Old 03-04-2014, 05:42 PM

1,138 posts, read 1,041,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
You're picking the wrong city unless you like a drive into Eugene or up to Portland. All those things you like don't exist in Newport. Newport is about fishing and industry with some tourist thrown in. The long time locals could really care less if you come or go and the new mostly retired are there for themselves. As a tourist you will be treated with open arms by most of the businesses, but not all. Newport is a great place to live, but it is an industrial town, not so much artsy, although you can find a little here and there.
Not entirely true, Newport does have a surprising amount of things to do for it's size. There is a good amount of outdoor activities and a lot of tourism as far as Oregon Tourism standards go anyway. It has a pretty active and vibrant communit . Newport has the Oregon Coast Aquarium, the Marine Science Center, Ripley's, the Undersea Gardens, and several states parks.

I do agree with you though that Eugene and Portland offer far more, especially for what the OP is looking. However I think people are pretty friendly regardless of whether or not you're a tourist. People don't really care, they tend to stick to their own business.

I don't know much about Lincoln City, sorry.

Old 03-04-2014, 06:22 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,624,108 times
| Newport Symphony - Newport, Oregon

David Ogden Stiers (AKA Major Charles Emerson Winchester from MASH) is the Resident Conductor.

Old 03-05-2014, 12:51 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
Newport has a performing arts center --

Newport Performing Arts Center | Oregon Coast Council for the Arts

Old 03-05-2014, 12:08 PM

I doubt one ballet every three or four years is what the OP was talking about. There is classical music three or four time a year, but the two plays I went to didn't impress me.

There is also a concert series in Coos Bay, and they have three good to excellent theaters in the Bay area if you count the Sawdust in Coquille. I even saw the Nutcracker and Swan Lake for the first time in my life while living there (Coos Bay).

Don't get me misquoted here. I like Newport, but I don't think what you pointed out is what the OP was looking for.

Although I am impressed with their 2014 lineup at the PAC.

Old 03-05-2014, 12:20 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
I think it's up to the OP, and not Pickering, to decide what she's looking for. All that we can do is point out options that may be available to her and correct the misinformation that you've posted.

Old 03-05-2014, 12:43 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,624,108 times
According to THE SCHEDULE THAT IS READILY AVAILABLE ON THE WEBSITE , *sigh*, the Symphony has a concert once a month.

Anyone can just post anything they want on here. To the OP--you really have to filter the answers you get from people who seem to speak with a lot of authority, but are really more bluster than substance. You read for a while and you can figure out who these people are.

Old 03-05-2014, 01:10 PM

Amen.

Newport does offer a lot, but it really isn't a retirement location.

Old 03-05-2014, 03:17 PM

32,638 posts, read 48,005,355 times
My experience in both Newport and Lincoln City is that the Oregonians there are just like Oregonians anywhere else in the state.

Sometimes the in-comers bring their out-of-state unpleasantness and rush and hurry for a couple of years until they learn to slow down to Oregon Time.

Local residents do get tired of the tourists with their traffic congestion and pushing and shoving and rushing about. But once you have settled in and adapted to the area, Oregonians are live and let live. Whether that meets your definition of "friendly", I have no idea.

The coast is best for hiking the beautiful nature trails, whale watching, storm watching, painting, photography, and trying to connect with Mother Nature. There are hiking clubs, fishing clubs, book clubs and all sorts of clubs you can join if you want to socialize.

Culture, you can drive to Eugene or Corvallis for minor culture and you can spend the weekend in Portland for major culture-- which tends to be expensive enough that most people aren't doing it every weekend, even if they live close to it. Tickets for concerts, opera, plays, special events tend to cost some money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon