Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 08:10 PM

1,620 posts, read 2,285,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
One of the State Senators? District 1, 2, 3 or 4? I don't believe it for Jackson County, and I doubt Bates or even Baertschiger would have said that.
Since he didn't state the Senators name from the get go, it goes in the BS column in my book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 09:30 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,571,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
I just heard a report from a state senator claiming there were vigilantes in Roseburg arresting people, and delivering them to the jail or a judge, as provided by Oregon Law, in chains. Actually he didn't say Roseburg , he said Douglas County. He also claimed that the same thing was happening in Jackson County and could be in Josephine County.
Ah, the Myrtle Creek Vigilantes for Justice. They are a neighborhood watch. The name is a pretty good joke, guaranteed to jerk the chain of you left wing urbanoids in the Willamette Valley. If you lived in a town with a real sense of community instead of a bedroom suburb like Dallas, you might have a similar organization instead of hiding behind your curtains.

Old 04-03-2014, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
Law enforcement there is crumbling and is projected to become a major issue. No law enforcement will lead to anarchy, and anarchy may not be very race friendly with all the extreme conservatives' in the county.
You are thinking of Josephine County, the next county over. Douglas County built up a really big rainy day contingency fund that has left law enforcement fully funded. It was a hoot when Greenpeace protested a logging sale and got arrested for trespass. They expected to be matrixed out of the jail, and were dismayed to find that there were plenty of beds and they could sit there until they made bail. All told, they had to pony up about $120,000 (10% of $1.2 million), non-refundable.

Nah, no anarchy here. You really need to get your facts straight.

Old 04-03-2014, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mildred mof5 View Post
Just wondered if there was someone out there who might know if moving there would be a major mistake. My children are used to being the is minority in their community, yet accepted. I am aware that people can be very conservative in their views and also not racist. I realize it is difficult to speak for an entire community, but is conservative being used as a code word for racist?
Since I actually live in Douglas County, and worked in Roseburg for over a decade, I'll give you the real scoop. Your kids will be part of a very small minority, but there are some black faces in Roseburg. You can expect a handful in the big high school (1600 students) but in any given classroom they may be the only ones. They will have to put up with the typical loudmouth yahoos, but shouldn't have any trouble finding friends. True, 60% vote Republican in Douglas County, but 40% don't, and part of that 60% are not hard line conservatives, just voting for the best candidate. There's a low crap quotient, and the lunatic fringe gets marginalized pretty fast, no matter what Pickering says.

Of more concern than skin color is the general social environment. Only 9% of the population of Douglas County has a baccalaureate degree, vs. about 24% statewide. Kids with anything on the ball graduate from high school and head for college. They don't come back, because there are no jobs for them. The result is that the population tends heavily toward stupid. If you have initiative and smarts, you can do quite well in Douglas County, but much of the population doesn't. Poverty is rampant. You run into second and third generation high school dropouts who spend their lives getting stoned, playing video games and having sex. It might be harder on you as a parent than on your kids. There are a lot of landmines on the way to a productive adulthood, but lots of kids make it.

Good luck.

Old 04-04-2014, 02:39 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,254,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
One of the State Senators? District 1, 2, 3 or 4? I don't believe it for Jackson County, and I doubt Bates or even Baertschiger would have said that.

They didn't. Those who pay attention know I was at the Polk County Budget Hearings all week. It would make sense it was a Polk County Senator. It is on the public record. Look for it during the Public Comments. It addressed the decay of law-enforcement in some counties and the dire future residents can expect.

Old 04-06-2014, 12:00 PM

3,040 posts, read 4,977,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mildred mof5 View Post
I am considering a move to the Roseburg, OR area. Our family is multicultural (black/white) and used to living in small northwest communities. In researcing Roseburg I have read disturbing things about past attitudes and Sundown laws. Can anyone give me current insight into raising black children in this community.
Mildred, if you listen to a few people on this forum you soon get the idea that everything below Eugene and East of the Cascades are nothing but "back water, red neck communities" when they are every bit of an accepting community as anywhere else. In the past the entire state of Oregon wasn't welcoming to minorities, however, those days have long gone. Most people don't care about your skin color, you'll be accepted on your character, with that being said, there are those who are bigoted and their bigotry doesn't stop at race, thankfully, these type of people are in the minority.

Old 10-15-2014, 12:34 PM

6 posts, read 13,879 times
No sundown laws (I have lived in Roseburg my whole life, except for a 4 year stint in Portland, I am 32 now and I had never even heard of such a thing).
They will be unique as there is little diversity here. But I do not think that they will have any problems to speak of.
Roseburg is a bit slow to change but things have shifted socially quite a bit in the last decade.

I am more conservative and not racist at all. One does not effect the other in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon