U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 09:23 AM

7,785 posts, read 16,409,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglefanor View Post
thanks very much everyone, your comments are very helpful. we are leaning towards the medford area but we'll see soon, we currently live in the portland metro area and it's just too rat racey for us, anyone know if phoenix/talent/eagle point/white city are decent places? i see eagle point has super walmart, we mainly shop there and costco which i believe would be east medford, we also are considering jacksonville and ashland but think that probably won't fit into our budget and rogue river/grants pass might be too much of a commute.
Is the job offer from Providence or Assante/Rogue River? From a commuting standpoint, Phoenix would be the ideal one, particularly for Assante.

Of the 4 cities you list, I'd pick Talent or Phoenix, as they have always seemed to me more like individual communities than just a suburban collection of houses, which is what White City (named for the WW2 military camp, Camp White, that it started as) and Eagle Point feel/look like. I'd also add Central Point to the list, although I'd pick the area carefully.

There are two WalMarts in Medford, one at the south end of town, quite close to Phoenix, and one at the NW side, in a row of big box stores that includes Costco and Lowe's. The roads for the big box row are an extremely bad bit of traffic design and in peak hours you get near-gridlock. They are working on a new bypass road so that through traffic will skip the big box section. I wouldn't want to have to wade into that mess on a regular basis - although, coming from the NE, from White City, you wouldn't be driving through all of it, you'd just be driving to the far east end.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 12:33 AM

57 posts, read 148,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Is the job offer from Providence or Assante/Rogue River? From a commuting standpoint, Phoenix would be the ideal one, particularly for Assante.

Of the 4 cities you list, I'd pick Talent or Phoenix, as they have always seemed to me more like individual communities than just a suburban collection of houses, which is what White City (named for the WW2 military camp, Camp White, that it started as) and Eagle Point feel/look like. I'd also add Central Point to the list, although I'd pick the area carefully.

There are two WalMarts in Medford, one at the south end of town, quite close to Phoenix, and one at the NW side, in a row of big box stores that includes Costco and Lowe's. The roads for the big box row are an extremely bad bit of traffic design and in peak hours you get near-gridlock. They are working on a new bypass road so that through traffic will skip the big box section. I wouldn't want to have to wade into that mess on a regular basis - although, coming from the NE, from White City, you wouldn't be driving through all of it, you'd just be driving to the far east end.

i'm actually interviewing monday afternoon with providence and tuesday afternoon in astoria, gonna put some miles on the car, have you heard much about how providence is to work for from the locals? sounds like the bypass road would be great, thanks for all the info.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:57 AM

10,411 posts, read 17,742,315 times
Providence is a great employer! They do not suffer fools or slackers, however. They expect high quality care for all their patients.

One advantage is that other facilities will hire a transfer within their network over an outside candidate UNLESS that would put the employing facility in a world of hurt.

Old 04-14-2014, 10:06 AM

I would be biased because I go to Providence. I'd heard better things, in general, about Providence than Rogue River/Assante, but that would be from a patient side.

Old 04-14-2014, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglefanor View Post
i'm actually interviewing monday afternoon with providence and tuesday afternoon in astoria, gonna put some miles on the car, have you heard much about how providence is to work for from the locals? sounds like the bypass road would be great, thanks for all the info.
That is actually a very tough drive. Don't be fooled into thinking that the direct route is up the coast - it isn't. You'll pretty much have to leave the interview and get on the road directly - head up I5 to Portland, use 217 to cut over to Beaverton. Stay overnight in Beaverton or Hillsboro and then the next morning head out 26 to Astoria. I'd guess it is a 7 hour plus drive to Astoria from here and you really don't want to do the last section of it when you are tired and dragging - it's heavily forested and winding.

Old 04-14-2014, 11:48 AM

4,060 posts, read 4,788,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
That is actually a very tough drive. Don't be fooled into thinking that the direct route is up the coast - it isn't. You'll pretty much have to leave the interview and get on the road directly - head up I5 to Portland, use 217 to cut over to Beaverton. Stay overnight in Beaverton or Hillsboro and then the next morning head out 26 to Astoria. I'd guess it is a 7 hour plus drive to Astoria from here and you really don't want to do the last section of it when you are tired and dragging - it's heavily forested and winding.
Length largely depends on if you speed (5 over is generally safe) and if you hit traffic. But it's doable in 6 if you avoid peak traffic. 2.5 to Eugene, 1.5 to 217, then about 2 hours from there. I agree that the coast will be much slower.

Staying in Beaverton would put you in Intel/Nike morning traffic if you were trying to get an early start to have more time at the coast. Moving on at least as far as NW 185th at the Beav/Hillsboro line would make the morning smoother. There's at least a Residence Inn and a Courtyard right there [off the 185th exit in Tanasbourne]. Though options thin out pretty fast moving west from there - not sure there's much else til Seaside.

Old 04-14-2014, 12:01 PM

10,411 posts, read 17,742,315 times
Keep in mind the fact that Prov also has a facility in Seaside should you really want to live on the coast.

Old 04-14-2014, 01:38 PM

8,001 posts, read 15,275,515 times
Seaside may not be an option, but I would choose it over Medford.

Old 04-14-2014, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
Seaside may not be an option, but I would choose it over Medford.
And I would choose Medford over Seaside or Dallas.

Old 04-14-2014, 01:52 PM

8,001 posts, read 15,275,515 times
We don't have a Providence in Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or