U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 11:39 AM

4,828 posts, read 6,411,208 times

Advertisements

I have never been there, but I have seen eagles on the beach (sitting on posts and pilings) between Gearhart and the Peter Iredale many times while fishing and razor clamming.
Interestingly, I've seen the most eagles on the beach in the vicinity of Camp Rilea.

Awesome birds up close.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 12:47 PM

7,785 posts, read 16,496,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglefanor View Post
thanks all, interesting discussion on routes but i ended up spending the night in my own bed in vancouver and driving to astoria tuesday midday, took the 26 with no traffic to speak of and picked up some spring water (vancouver h2o has to much chlorine) along the way and hung out at seaside for a few hours, the job in astoria didn't work , pay too low to make the move, wish i had known that before but still not a bad day, anyone know anything about the eagle sanctuary about 3 miles east of astoria off the 30? can you actually see eagles?
So how did the Medford interview go?

Old 04-17-2014, 01:07 PM

6,466 posts, read 12,123,937 times
Quote:
anyone know anything about the eagle sanctuary about 3 miles east of astoria off the 30? can you actually see eagles?
Very occasionally. You'll actually see more Eagles along Highway 30 though. That sanctuary seems to be randomly placed to be out of the way, and not actually home to many Eagles. There are a couple of nests up in the trees nearby though, but I've never seen then occupied. That could simply be time of year or other factors though.

Interesting tidbit, there are now more mated Bald Eagle pairs along the Columbia River between Astoria and Portland then there was in the entire United States in 1990.

Old 04-17-2014, 01:39 PM

16,145 posts, read 19,033,809 times
This is the Humboldt Bay Eagle Cam...

Humboldt Bay Eagle Cam on USTREAM: The new Humboldt Bay Eagle Cam systems were purchased through generous donations from our viewers. We thank the private ...

Old 04-17-2014, 02:42 PM

6,466 posts, read 12,123,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
This is the Humboldt Bay Eagle Cam...

Humboldt Bay Eagle Cam on USTREAM:
Live nude eagles! Chat Now!

Seriously, that's pretty cool, thank you for sharing.

Old 04-17-2014, 04:15 PM

57 posts, read 150,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
So how did the Medford interview go?
Thanks for asking, I haven't heard back yet, but they said it could take be a week before a decision is made, so I'm still holding out hope for the medford area, I like it there, it seems pretty mellow overall and so much to do outdoors, how's the humidity during the hot months? I've heard very dry which makes even 90's not bad plus it cools off nicely when the sun starts going down. One thing that I really like about area is that it's green enough without all the rain and plenty of beautiful shorts drives around. Anyways, thanks again

Old 04-17-2014, 04:28 PM

7,785 posts, read 16,496,909 times
Quote:
Thanks for asking, I haven't heard back yet, but they said it could take be a week before a decision is made, so I'm still holding out hope for the medford area, I like it there, it seems pretty mellow overall and so much to do outdoors, how's the humidity during the hot months? I've heard very dry which makes even 90's not bad plus it cools off nicely when the sun starts going down. One thing that I really like about area is that it's green enough without all the rain and plenty of beautiful shorts drives around. Anyways, thanks again
Usually it's not humid - you can get a sticky day here and there, but it's only humid by local standards, anyone from the south would laugh at calling it "humid." Portland has more humidity in the summer. It will stay mostly green during the year, although some of the grassy hills (generally the ones with a lot of oaks) will turn yellow and brown by late summer, although the first rains green them back up again.

But 100° is hot even when it is dry, and Medford averages between 8-12 days over 100° a summer and 50 days at 90° or above (the average high in July is 92° with the average June and August highs at 82°).

Last edited by PNW-type-gal; 04-17-2014 at 04:49 PM..

Old 04-19-2014, 06:34 PM

739 posts, read 1,687,278 times
You could work in Medford and live in Ashland, which is a few minutes south of Medford on the I-5. It is a lovely town with charm and character.

Old 04-20-2014, 06:23 PM

14,955 posts, read 14,410,943 times
Quote:
Southern Oregon is dry enough to make a swamp cooler practical AC in the summer. The hottest days sometimes get into single digit relative humidity.

Old 04-22-2014, 04:03 PM

8,001 posts, read 15,345,948 times
Swamp Coolers do work in Medford. I was there for a convention and they used one for the hall.

This brings an answer to the question as the two area are so dissimilar you start to believe the OP was a troll. Medford is hot in the summer and cold in the winter. Dry most of the time. Astoria on the other hand is mild, foggy, and wet most of the year. But there are some great days there. The people are dissimilar also. Farmers and City Dwellers, with mostly California Escapees in Medford. Fisherman, Loggers, and Outdoors types in Astoria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or