U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 04:23 PM

4 posts, read 6,547 times

Advertisements

I know the town of Astoira and its hospital very well. Its really not a fair comparison to Medford. Like looking at watermelon vs apple. Medford is HUGE compared to Astoria. The hospital in Astoria is very small, a 25 bed critical access hospital. While it does have some VERY good staff and services for being so rural and small, it does not compare to the types and levels of care in Medford. Many of your more critical patients will be shipped out in Astoria, no cath lab and serious traumas fly to OHSU. The climate is also like night and day. Astoria is very wet and rainy. We joke that it rains 13 months a year! Some years are better than others, but in general from late October until May, don't leave home without a parka. From May to September, usually a jacket will do. Its why as much as I love this little town, I am thinking about a move to drier places. Housing is also much pricier than one would expect. A cheap apartment might go for 800 and a house starts at around a 1000 and can easily rent for 1500 or more. Prices for homes to buy start at around low 200's for anything but the most basic or dilapidated fixer upper-a typical nice home with a river view your looking at 250 and up. That said, I love Astoria, except I wish for more sun. And when it does come out and warm things up...this is absolutely one of the most beautiful places in the country. I can sit on my deck and watch the ships come in from the ocean, the boats going crazy during fishing season, and the Columbia bar waves when the storms roll in. Eagles, deer and elk, you name it all over the place. Water views everywhere! Then the town is just quaint. I take for granted all the great art galleries, the wonderful restaurants and breweries we have. Good food is easy to find, deciding which place is the hard part! Ft George Brewery is a local favorite, a Strawberry blonde ale at the Wet Dog to die for, and dinner at the Urban or maybe the Baked Alaska? Date night at the Super Club or Clemente's? Sushi? Got that too! Want to walk along the waterfront or ride the trolley? Yep, during summer months when it runs, I actually walk down the hill on my end of town, catch the trolley and ride it to Safeway at east end of town, look at the boats and sea lions barking, then get busy and get a backpack of groceries and then ride it back home. Cant do that in Medford. But best buy? Nope. Walmart? Not yet. We do have a Costco and a few-big-boxers close by in Warrenton...literally a 5 minute drive, So Astoria is a vibrant small town with way more cool things than your typical small village, BUT...9 months of the year...you will get rained on, poured on even. Medford you will have traffic, smog, and some very hot dry summers. Plus and minuses for both, but not really any comparison. Small vs Big. Good Luck deciding!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 09:24 PM

10,440 posts, read 17,780,958 times
Astoria also has a PX, convenient if you want cheap liquor.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:14 AM

8,001 posts, read 15,301,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dymnback View Post
I know the town of Astoira and its hospital very well. Its really not a fair comparison to Medford. Like looking at watermelon vs apple. Medford is HUGE compared to Astoria. The hospital in Astoria is very small, a 25 bed critical access hospital. While it does have some VERY good staff and services for being so rural and small, it does not compare to the types and levels of care in Medford. Many of your more critical patients will be shipped out in Astoria, no cath lab and serious traumas fly to OHSU. The climate is also like night and day. Astoria is very wet and rainy. We joke that it rains 13 months a year! Some years are better than others, but in general from late October until May, don't leave home without a parka. From May to September, usually a jacket will do. Its why as much as I love this little town, I am thinking about a move to drier places. Housing is also much pricier than one would expect. A cheap apartment might go for 800 and a house starts at around a 1000 and can easily rent for 1500 or more. Prices for homes to buy start at around low 200's for anything but the most basic or dilapidated fixer upper-a typical nice home with a river view your looking at 250 and up. That said, I love Astoria, except I wish for more sun. And when it does come out and warm things up...this is absolutely one of the most beautiful places in the country. I can sit on my deck and watch the ships come in from the ocean, the boats going crazy during fishing season, and the Columbia bar waves when the storms roll in. Eagles, deer and elk, you name it all over the place. Water views everywhere! Then the town is just quaint. I take for granted all the great art galleries, the wonderful restaurants and breweries we have. Good food is easy to find, deciding which place is the hard part! Ft George Brewery is a local favorite, a Strawberry blonde ale at the Wet Dog to die for, and dinner at the Urban or maybe the Baked Alaska? Date night at the Super Club or Clemente's? Sushi? Got that too! Want to walk along the waterfront or ride the trolley? Yep, during summer months when it runs, I actually walk down the hill on my end of town, catch the trolley and ride it to Safeway at east end of town, look at the boats and sea lions barking, then get busy and get a backpack of groceries and then ride it back home. Cant do that in Medford. But best buy? Nope. Walmart? Not yet. We do have a Costco and a few-big-boxers close by in Warrenton...literally a 5 minute drive, So Astoria is a vibrant small town with way more cool things than your typical small village, BUT...9 months of the year...you will get rained on, poured on even. Medford you will have traffic, smog, and some very hot dry summers. Plus and minuses for both, but not really any comparison. Small vs Big. Good Luck deciding!
Great post. Really informative. You don't say much about the general employment situation, but you did a great job of targeting the OP's needs.

Old 04-23-2014, 11:31 AM

4,060 posts, read 4,798,165 times
Quote:
Then the town is just quaint. I take for granted all the great art galleries, the wonderful restaurants and breweries we have. Good food is easy to find, deciding which place is the hard part! Ft George Brewery is a local favorite, a Strawberry blonde ale at the Wet Dog to die for, and dinner at the Urban or maybe the Baked Alaska? Date night at the Super Club or Clemente's? Sushi? Got that too!
Great post.

If I'm only in town for a day I tend to do lunch at the Urban and dinner at the Rogue Brewery, but there's a dozen other places that are good to very good. And for a town that size, it has a very nice bookstore, and the farmer's market is respectable.

Old 04-25-2014, 11:42 PM

57 posts, read 149,367 times
Quote:
thanks very much for taking the time for that, medford it is, they made a better offer plus it seems more affordable and i do think it's probably too much rain for us in astoria but coastal has a great apeal and california is not possible for us for many reasons. i don't think i'll mind the medford summers too much since i used to live in phoenix for a long time and at least in medford it cools off nicely once the sun starts to set, phoenix for about 2 or 3 months it dosen't even cool at night, lows around 90. anyone know of any good property management companies in medford? we want to rent a house sine we have 2 small children. thanks to all.

Old 04-25-2014, 11:44 PM

do you know of any good property management companies in medford? there are a bunch and thought maybe you may have heard. i'm also checking craigslist and plan to travel down monday and tuesday to pick something. we want to rent a house since we have 2 small children. thanks

Old 04-26-2014, 08:33 AM

7,785 posts, read 16,439,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglefanor View Post
do you know of any good property management companies in medford? there are a bunch and thought maybe you may have heard. i'm also checking craigslist and plan to travel down monday and tuesday to pick something. we want to rent a house since we have 2 small children. thanks
Don't know the property management companies - but Hoover Elementary and Lone Pine Elementary get some of the best school ratings, and they are on the east side of I5. In general, the area east of Crater Lake Ave (where it runs north/south) and south of Hwy 62 is a good area. Some areas are slightly better than others (right around Medford Center is not great, but you don't have to go more than a couple blocks east).

DM me with locations if you have questions.

Old 04-27-2014, 05:13 PM

279 posts, read 1,003,052 times
We recently rented through Oregon Opportunities and found them to be very fair. We have rented through Sterling West as well, and I would not recommend them.

Old 05-01-2014, 03:28 PM

7 posts, read 15,620 times
I recently joined my daughter in Eugene after 2.5 years in Medford. Oak Tree Realtors was my Medford landlord, I had a good experience with them. I came to think of Medford as an affordable 'gateway' to some really lovely surrounding areas. (Applegate Valley, Crater Lake, the coast) Jacksonville was probably my favorite (5 miles from my door) but it's definitely going to be more expensive rent, same with Ashland. I enjoyed all the local wineries, (I worked for one:-) volunteered for Britt festival in Jacksonville and the International Film Festival in Ashland. Joined the very popular MeetUp hiking group Southern Oregon Happy Trails--between Dec 2011 when I joined, to by the time I moved out Feb 2014, it has grown from 500 to 1300 members! Plenty of things to do. Summers are hot but if you can survive Phoenix AZ, Medford is more tolerable by far.

Old 05-07-2014, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nina-in-Ashland View Post
We recently rented through Oregon Opportunities and found them to be very fair. We have rented through Sterling West as well, and I would not recommend them.

thanks, we just set up a rental through a pm company called valley properties, only 2.5 miles to providence health
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or