U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 09:07 AM

1,620 posts, read 1,898,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglefanor View Post
thanks, we just set up a rental through a pm company called valley properties, only 2.5 miles to providence health
I encourage you to fully and accurately document all existing damages in your rental upon move in (Photos too) as many rental companies WILL charge for them when your term ends. Just saying they were there when you moved in won't get your deposits (and then some) back.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 01:20 AM

57 posts, read 149,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kejele View Post
I recently joined my daughter in Eugene after 2.5 years in Medford. Oak Tree Realtors was my Medford landlord, I had a good experience with them. I came to think of Medford as an affordable 'gateway' to some really lovely surrounding areas. (Applegate Valley, Crater Lake, the coast) Jacksonville was probably my favorite (5 miles from my door) but it's definitely going to be more expensive rent, same with Ashland. I enjoyed all the local wineries, (I worked for one:-) volunteered for Britt festival in Jacksonville and the International Film Festival in Ashland. Joined the very popular MeetUp hiking group Southern Oregon Happy Trails--between Dec 2011 when I joined, to by the time I moved out Feb 2014, it has grown from 500 to 1300 members! Plenty of things to do. Summers are hot but if you can survive Phoenix AZ, Medford is more tolerable by far.

thank you for the info. i agree with you about medford being a great gateway to some incredible places within 2 hrs, we especially love the redwoods and the coast. also, san fran is my favorite west coast city and it's just 5 1/2 hrs. we wanted to rent in ashland or jacksonville but can't afford them. we found a nice condo to rent on the nw side of medford. so what is the britt festival?

Old 05-08-2014, 01:22 AM

57 posts, read 149,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherwoody View Post
I encourage you to fully and accurately document all existing damages in your rental upon move in (Photos too) as many rental companies WILL charge for them when your term ends. Just saying they were there when you moved in won't get your deposits (and then some) back.

good advise, i'll even video it. thx

Old 05-08-2014, 10:07 AM

7,785 posts, read 16,432,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglefanor View Post
thank you for the info. i agree with you about medford being a great gateway to some incredible places within 2 hrs, we especially love the redwoods and the coast. also, san fran is my favorite west coast city and it's just 5 1/2 hrs. we wanted to rent in ashland or jacksonville but can't afford them. we found a nice condo to rent on the nw side of medford. so what is the britt festival?
Home | Britt Festivals

A mix of classical, pop, semi-alt-rock, country, bluegrass and a bunch of artists out there on the "pension fund tour." IMO, it is on the expensive side if you don't purchase one of the multiple event packs. For instance, if I want to see Mavis Staples, Jake Shimabukuro, Tedeshi Trucks Band, Lyle Lovett and Pink Martini (yes, my Portland roots are showing), individual "lawn" tickets would be about $265 per person. The 5 pack is $150 per person.

Also for music, check out some of the local wineries (South Stage Cellars, 2Hawk, Roxy Ann, Paschal).

Old 05-08-2014, 03:55 PM

6,118 posts, read 3,260,057 times
Medford has a Trader Joe's.

Old 05-08-2014, 05:12 PM

8,001 posts, read 15,295,897 times
I don't think Astoria is really a Trader Joe's kind of town.

Old 10-21-2014, 10:41 AM

32 posts, read 35,961 times
I live in Sacramento CA so I know hot. I'm only here for the job. This is not my native home. We are in drought and this summer had weeks above 100 degrees. It only began to cool last week. My garden did not do anything this year.

I'll retire in less than two years. My choices are back to Mendocino or near Medford -- Jacksonville, Talent, Ashland etc. I'm torn between the two. But right now Oregon is winning hands down in my heart...

Old 10-21-2014, 12:11 PM

7,785 posts, read 16,432,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjewell View Post
I live in Sacramento CA so I know hot. I'm only here for the job. This is not my native home. We are in drought and this summer had weeks above 100 degrees. It only began to cool last week. My garden did not do anything this year.

I'll retire in less than two years. My choices are back to Mendocino or near Medford -- Jacksonville, Talent, Ashland etc. I'm torn between the two. But right now Oregon is winning hands down in my heart...
We had a record hot summer here as well - didn't hit any record highs, it was just the number of hot days in a row. About 13 days over 100° this summer, which is more than average but not an unusually high number.

Not as hot if you choose to live up off the valley floor in the hills, but then you have to cope with occasional ice and freezing rain in the winter.

Old 10-24-2014, 10:00 PM

14,902 posts, read 14,299,942 times
Yep, Paris or Vienna, which is better?

Old 10-25-2014, 04:54 PM

9,986 posts, read 12,282,087 times
Neither. Both are quite decent places to live. Medford can get hot in summer, and Astoria can be gloomy in winter. Medford is much closer to a California climate, if that matters. But both are surrounded by amazing scenery. I might give the slight edge to Medford on that score, as it is central to coastal, valley, foothill, and high desert scenery. Astoria is wet and it is a long drive to drier, sunnier locales. But Astoria has a funky vibe I like. I could live either place, if the right job materialized, though I think I would personally prefer Medford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or