Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Regardless of my personal views on the measure, Measure 91 on the Fall 2014 Oregon ballot will:
Pass 67 84.81%
Fail 12 15.19%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 12:11 AM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendLocal View Post
Assuming 2 "highs" per week that bundle lasts for ???
Okay, here's a more specific answer: I'm pretty much a daily user, but still considered "casual," since I only smoke a little at night. On average I'd estimate that I smoke around 2-3 bowls or 1-2 (good-sized) joints daily, which generally averages out to like 2-2.5 grams per week. One ounce has 28 grams, so if my math is correct, an ounce could last me a good 3-3.5 months. Multiply that by 8, and I've got over two YEARS of smoke!

Of course, as I believe it goes for most of us, the more I have the more I'll be tempted to smoke (and/or share with others) - which is partly why I limit my purchases, and just buy a couple of grams every week or two. Plus, cannabis leaf does eventually go stale, so I doubt any non-dealers would purchase that much at once. I'm a legal medical user in California, btw, and looking forward to our state following the lead. We almost passed it in 2012, and will likely cross that threshold in 2016. Well, at least I hope so.

That being said, congrats to Oregon. I actually went to UofO (in the mid-90s), and have been itching to move back ever since... and not just because of this law, as I'm legal here already. I just miss the beauty of your state, the friendly people, and of course, the much lower cost of living. If only they had more & better-paying jobs in my field!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 10:08 AM

2,542 posts, read 4,003,374 times
Latest research on adult users. This came too late for the vote but it adds some credibility to the anti MJ side of the debate.

Marijuana's long-term effects on the brain demonstrated -- ScienceDaily

Quote:
In a paper published today in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS), researchers for the first time comprehensively describe existing abnormalities in brain function and structure of long-term marijuana users with multiple magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) techniques. Findings show chronic marijuana users have smaller brain volume in the orbitofrontal cortex (OFC), a part of the brain commonly associated with addiction, but also increased brain connectivity.

Old 11-11-2014, 10:23 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,828,163 times
Quote:
Latest research on adult users. This came too late for the vote but it adds some credibility to the anti MJ side of the debate.

"On average, the marijuana users who participated in the study consumed the drug three times per day. "

Any study that looked at people who used alcohol 3x per day would find similarly dire results - and the users would be labeled alcoholics/addicts.

Old 11-11-2014, 11:07 AM

1,337 posts, read 3,278,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
"On average, the marijuana users who participated in the study consumed the drug three times per day. "

Any study that looked at people who used alcohol 3x per day would find similarly dire results - and the users would be labeled alcoholics/addicts.
Came on here to point this very thing out. Thank you PNW-type-gal. At this point it's a bit of a moot point. Legalization takes place on the 1st of the year followed by full in-store sales next year.

Like anything else -food, alcohol, exercise, etc.- do not abuse marijuana. If you choose to use marijuana, use it in moderation and be a responsible adult about it.

Old 11-11-2014, 06:52 PM

3,147 posts, read 3,502,664 times
Quote:

So over using a substance can lead to negative effects? Who woulda thunk? Looks like the fact that getting drunk 3 times a day will cause negative effects adds some credibility to the alcohol prohibitionists....

Lets just show something positive about marijuana use and the brain, to be fair.

Marijuana compound may halt Alzheimer's disease – study

Quote:
A “natural and relatively safe amyloid inhibitor”, THC can fight Alzheimer’s, slowing down its development or even curing it. According to the scientists, its low concentrations also play a positive part in mitochondrial function, thus adding up to the processes of energy supply, signal transmission and maintenance of a healthy brain.
This was in time for the vote and it adds some credibility to the pro-MJ side of the debate.

Scientists Discover Another Way Marijuana Helps The Brain Grow

Quote:
In 2005 Canadian researchers made a groundbreaking discovery that would forever discredit the myth that marijuana causes brain damage. What they found was an opposite effect. That is, THC – the main chemical in marijuana and the reason why users get ‘high’ – can actually cause new brain cells to grow.
Quote:
Still, THC is not the only chemical found in marijuana and, eight years later, a team from Brazil is giving marijuana users more reason to celebrate. Their study, published in the July issue of The International Journal of Neuropsychopharmacology, shows that cannabidiol (CBD) can help your brain grow too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon