Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 05:04 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times

Advertisements

Years ago, we were visiting my brother & family in the winter, We took our young'uns by Amtrak from Oakland to Reno. It was beautiful looking out from the Observation Car, & we all had lots of FUN. Rented a car & played in the snow, made a Snowman......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2014, 08:24 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,030,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Checked Greyhound and it prices out at around $80 one-way and takes between 11-13 hours, depending on the transfer time at Sacramento. At $220 for roundtrip airfare that'd be the better bet, except that getting from SFO to downtown can be expensive and time-consuming, depending on when you are traveling.
$8.65 and 34 minutes, regardless of when you travel. Not exactly cheap, but hardly expensive or time-consuming.

https://www.bart.gov/tickets/calculator

Old 07-05-2014, 12:42 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,828,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
$8.65 and 34 minutes, regardless of when you travel. Not exactly cheap, but hardly expensive or time-consuming.

https://www.bart.gov/tickets/calculator
Because of where I am going, a car is a requirement when I am there - but, yes, for the average downtown tourist, BART is the way to go.

Old 07-05-2014, 07:07 PM

200 posts, read 509,009 times
PNW-type-gal,

About 5 years ago, my wife and I did the reverse of the trip you described out of Klamath Falls to LA. Our daughter lived near San Diego at the time, so we took the Pacific Surfliner to LA. Later that morning we boarded the Coast Starlight from LA's Union Station. We had previously traveled some of California by car, but seeing the scenic California coast from a railway car was a special treat. We had arranged for a roomette, but, as can be imagined, it wasn't conducive to sound sleep. I recall stopping at Sacramento about midnight and catching intermittent naps until I awoke to one of the best rewards possible -- seeing a spectacular sunrise glistening off Mt Shasta. At a stopover in Klamath Falls, we were given a few minutes to walk around outside. A few hours later we arrived in Portland. Overall, it was a tiring trip for a couple of seniors, but we met some interesting people, and although we probably wouldn't do it again, it fulfilled a long-held dream to travel the Coast Starlight.

Old 07-05-2014, 07:24 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,828,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diogenes2 View Post
PNW-type-gal,

About 5 years ago, my wife and I did the reverse of the trip you described out of Klamath Falls to LA. Our daughter lived near San Diego at the time, so we took the Pacific Surfliner to LA. Later that morning we boarded the Coast Starlight from LA's Union Station. We had previously traveled some of California by car, but seeing the scenic California coast from a railway car was a special treat. We had arranged for a roomette, but, as can be imagined, it wasn't conducive to sound sleep. I recall stopping at Sacramento about midnight and catching intermittent naps until I awoke to one of the best rewards possible -- seeing a spectacular sunrise glistening off Mt Shasta. At a stopover in Klamath Falls, we were given a few minutes to walk around outside. A few hours later we arrived in Portland. Overall, it was a tiring trip for a couple of seniors, but we met some interesting people, and although we probably wouldn't do it again, it fulfilled a long-held dream to travel the Coast Starlight.
I've had some spectacular rail trips, but they were vacation trips in Europe, where they take rail travel seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon