Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 05:34 PM

62 posts, read 74,893 times

Advertisements

I am a 22 year old female, hoping to attend massage school, and live alone. I have a small dog, and a large cat. I do not have a car, and my budget for an apartment is about $1,150. I just left my Capitol Hill apartment, in Seattle, WA. I really enjoyed my time there. There were plenty of activities, and good people. The problem was all of the gentrification. It turned Capitol Hill upside-down in the 3 years I lived there. I wanted to escape this. I also had hopes of living somewhere, where I could be surrounded more by trees and younger people like myself. The main thing I look for in a place to live is walkability, warm weather/ clear skies/ little cold, friendly people, and a safe environment with lots to do. It would be ideal if it was close to a good massage school, and had a similar vibe to Capitol hill. Is this something I can find in California? I know this is a low budget, and the pets will make it more difficult to find a place. If this isn't an option, can anyone suggest any warm, happy, urban areas to live? I am a sensitive and creative type, so I would like an environment suitable for my disposition. I look for tolerance and open mindedness in a community. This will be my 3rd time living away from home, but my first time living alone and in another state. I am also open to suggestions for resources, for finding a place/school/a comfortable setting. My body does not do well in the cold, so my goal is to live somewhere with a healthy and mild to hot atmosphere. Thank you.

Old 07-07-2014, 02:25 PM

Whoops. I was trying to ask the same question about Oregon. Not sure how to edit a post. I have heard Portland isn't the safest. I am not sure about weather differences in Oregon. I also need walk ability, and in an area safe enough for a 22 year old girl to be walking around by herself, even when it's later. I will be living alone, and I don't have a car.

Old 07-07-2014, 03:40 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
Isn't the safest as compared to where? There are a few blocks I wouldn't hang round in the dark (aka Old Town) but there is no housing there in any case. Portland is not an un-safe city.

I can't think of a community in Oregon that is "warm weather/ clear skies" year round.

Old 07-07-2014, 06:22 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,821,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natkat123 View Post
Whoops. I was trying to ask the same question about Oregon. Not sure how to edit a post. I have heard Portland isn't the safest. I am not sure about weather differences in Oregon. I also need walk ability, and in an area safe enough for a 22 year old girl to be walking around by herself, even when it's later. I will be living alone, and I don't have a car.
Portland is safe and walkable, but the gentrification is happening just as or even more quickly than it is in Seattle. Also the weather is pretty much identical between far-Northern California and Southeast Alaska--lots of rain, grey, and cold for roughly half the year. So that rules out Eugene. Ashland is a little bit sunnier, drier, and warmer, but still has cold, dreary winters.

I'd look into California towns if I were you. San Luis Obispo, Santa Cruz, Davis, San Diego, Santa Barbara...

Old 07-07-2014, 08:17 PM

323 posts, read 499,626 times
Oregon has lots of / little cold, friendly people,

Old 07-08-2014, 10:36 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,762,061 times
I'd vote for Chico, Davis, or Sacramento, California. All are river towns, with water and trees around. Warm, sunny to hot weather, reasonably affordable, and not too gentrified (yet). None are as beautiful as Seattle, but nice towns with nice people.

Just an unsolicited comment for your career plan. The PNW (Medford / Ashland at least) is saturated with message therapists. If you have not already, I suggest a bit of market research for the employment prospects for this in the area you want to live in before dumping too much coin on this path.

Old 07-08-2014, 02:36 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,620,293 times
Don't often see Davis described as 'affordable.' Sac and Chico are worth a look, though I can't vouch for MT programs in either place.

Old 07-08-2014, 06:18 PM

25 posts, read 54,789 times
How about one of those Arizona cities with a large retired population? Both Phoenix and Tucson are warm (if not downright hot), have fairly low crime if you stay out of certain areas (and they're both huge, so you can pick a good area), and are home to many potential customers who would want you to rub them the right way. Pets don't seem to be much of an issue in renting an apartment there. And best of all--you'll only be forking over $500 (or less) for a decent one-bedroom apartment, with deposits in the $150-300 range, and often, a month's free rent on a one-year lease.

Old 07-10-2014, 05:03 PM

Is there a way to close this forum?

Old 07-10-2014, 05:31 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,024,755 times
You can ask a moderator to lock or delete this thread, if that's what you mean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon